“Excellent French Bistro”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

La Fourchette is our favorite French restaurant when we visit Charleston several times a year. The bistro is small, attractive, and intimate, but never stuffy. We enjoy the atmosphere, excellent food , and appreciate not feeling rushed by the staff who are very attentive, and knowledgeable, yet encourage leisurely dining. The foie gras is our favorite starter, and the sliced duck is a wonderful entree. It is served with delicious seared brussel sprouts, and lentils. My husband, who doesn't normally care for either, loved them. The mussels are also superb. It's a perfect restaurant for an intimate dinner for two, as well up to an additional four adults. I do recommend reservations, especially on the weekend.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Nice little french bistro with authentic french cuisine, Cassoulet, foie gras, frites are excellent! Wine list is heavy on the Cote Du Rhone but lots of choices. Very friendly service.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

The food and the portion sizes were great. Cassoulet, beouf bourguignon, and other French classics. The beef tartare was a little disappointing--too chunky, but everything else was excellent. Service, wine and dessert to boot. The ambiance is definitely French bistro.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I along with another couple were going to the Pure Theatre play Friday night - March 8. We made reservations. The service was outstanding, and they made sure we got our food in time to easily make our Theatre reservations. We had just spent 12 days in France in October, so our expeations were high - and they were met! The appetizers were tasty and nice portions. Wine recommendations were right on! And the main course was superb -- I had the scallops in wine cream sauce - perfect! My wife had a vegetarin terraine -- again outstanding. If you want to have a real taste of France - drop by La Fourchette! You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I just came back from dinner at La Fourchette; it was a fabulous experience with fabulous food.

I am stunned a the lack of knowledge of the negative reviewers of this place. It's not for a family with screaming kids, it's not for fast food people, it's not for 2,000 people off the cruise ship in the harbor, or for 42 people off the tour bus. It's for people who understand about going to a first-class French bistro!

We had as good a foie gras (home made) as I've ever had; followed by an excellent duck/lamb/sausage cassoulet, and a delicate Scottish salmon. Dessert was an excellent creme caramel and a nice French press coffee.

The waitresses were perfect and the friendly owner came over to talk with us... all so very pleasant. Even the tableware details are thoughtfully chosen. You can't go wrong with this restaurant unless you don't belong there in the first place.

1  Thank Palta