“Not worth taking family”

Magnolia Plantation & Gardens
Book In Advance
More Info
$56.18*
and up
Historic Magnolia Plantation Tour with Transportation
Ranked #16 of 243 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: South Carolina's Most Visited Plantation and Gardens. National Registry of Historic Places. Ancient Oak Avenue. Tours full of History. World Famous Gardens of the 19th Century "Romantic Style". Selected by Travel + Leisure (2014) as the only South Carolina garden deemed one of "America's Most Beautiful Gardens". Reconstruction Period Plantation Home Tour. Award Winning Slave Cabin Tour. Very popular Nature-Train Tour. Rice Field Boat Tour. Family Oriented. Petting Zoo and Nature Center. Audubon Swamp Self-Guided Tour. Amazing Nesting Rookery. If you have only one Plantation to see, don't miss us!
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I brought my family here, and did not enjoy it for the amount we all had to pay. We paid for the entire tour. Once we purchased everything, we found out, pictures could not be taken inside the home. Very disappointed. We also found out that, the house they say belonged to the original owners... it didn't. It was a secondary home. No historic moments happened at this specific landsite. Gift shop had nothing worth purchasing and it was overpriced. I was hoping to learn something worth remembering and sharing with my family, yet we all left disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Magnolia Plantation & Gardens

Reviewed January 7, 2014

The grounds of this former plantation are a sight to behold. My wife and I started with a walk around the gardens near the ticket booth. From there we went on the nature train and ended with a tour of the historic house. As a comparison we followed up with a tour of nearby Drayton Hall. The nature train is simply amazing. During our trip we saw alligators and turtles sunning themselves. Rather cleverly, Magnolia has installed ramps in the swamps to encourage the reptiles to come out where visitors can see them from the tour. It works. The historic house is not nearly as interesting. It has been rebuilt several times and you can find similar structures throughout the east coast. Personally, if you are looking to save a few dollars I would skip this part of the tour. If you want to see a house that is truly from the pre-civil war era I would suggest going to Drayton Hall. However, the grounds at Drayton Hall are not as extensive or interesting as those at Magnolia.

3  Thank Twocat74
Reviewed January 7, 2014

It was a very rainy day when we went to Magnolia so we only wanted to tour the house as we were unable to walk the gardens. Unfortunately you have to pay "general admission" (which is all of the outdoor stuff) and then pay EXTRA to see the house. Total rip off if it is raining and unable to see the gardens! They should have pricing to view the house only when there is inclement weather. Totally stupid on their part because instead of getting some money for the house tour, they got nothing (as we left)!

5  Thank jbvt89
Reviewed January 6, 2014

First time visitors to Magnolia Plantation so we expected the admission price to include a tour of the house. Not so. General admission only gets you to the gardens. Tours of the home and tours of the plantation are priced separately. Disappointed.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was my first plantation visit, and I was surprised at the history of the main house. Each item is priced separately so I had the basic admission which covered the grounds and gardens plus many family friendly things, the house tour, and the slavery to freedom tour. The staff was very knowledgeable and it is awesome that it is still owned by descendants of the original Drayton family. The gardens were massive and lovely, even in December, though I imagine in the spring/summer they would be stunning. It was fun seeing statues throughout the property.