“I Thought the tour was Great”

The Calhoun Mansion
and up
Private Historic Carriage Tour of Charleston
Ranked #41 of 245 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Charleston's architectural treasures, this historic mansion owned by George Walton Williams transports visitors back in time.
Reviewed April 7, 2009

I must have been on a different tour than the others who have written reviews. I thought the tour was great. I toured three homes in addition to the Calhoun Mansion, Magnolia, drayton, and Boone Hall. Out of the four I had the most fun at the Calhoun Mansion. At Boone Hall and Magnolia - you see four rooms at the most. I thought the price was reasonable, other homes cost considerably more. I thought our tour guide was fantastic in pointing out both the historic qualities of the home and the great pieces in the owners collection of antiques (and boy, is there a lot of anitques!). Overall, it was a very pleasant experience and I would highly recommend to anyone who is visiting the area.

3  Thank AM1979
Write a ReviewReviews (1,322)

Reviewed April 4, 2009

The "tacky clutter" people are talking about consists of museum-quality antiques from the ranks of Napoleon, the kings of France and the czars of Russia among others. The mansion, which has nothing whatsoever to do with John C. Calhoun, should be called "eccentric rich guy's wacky collection" so it doesn't upset the purists. If you take it on that basis it is a lot of fun. The only reason I did not rate it higher is because I do agree the tour is too short for the money.

3  Thank hydrajor
Reviewed March 30, 2009

From the outside the Calhoun Mansion is impressive and that's where it ends - the inside is so cluttered full of the owner's collection of antiques, the beauty of the home is lost. We viewed the rooms on the 1st floor from the large entry/hall, and did the same on the 2nd floor, then the tour guide said if we wished to see the 3rd & 4th floors we could purchase tickets for that in the gift shop! We assumed the tour was for the entire house, how tacky!!
$15/ticket - DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY

2  Thank tasten
Reviewed January 2, 2009

I have toured the Calhoun Mansion with different family members from 1984 to the present on many occasions. I have always enjoyed the tour and seeing the home, its details and the furnishings that its owner had. That is until today, I toured it once more with new family members not knowing the house had been sold in 2004 and all the tasteful antiques have been removed and replaced. The home used to be gorgeous and fun to tour, no longer. The new owner has simply ruined the property with his "collection" of things. There are too, too many things in the house now to enjoy. It is best described as cluttered, tacky and junky. You can no longer enjoy the Tiffany original decor and chandeliers for the new owners myriad of eclectic things that do not belong in this grand piece of Charleston architecture. It is sad and a shame. The longer the tour lasted today, the sadder and madder I got.

5  Thank CarolinaJeanie
Reviewed December 10, 2008

When you tour the Calhoun Mansion, the tour lasts only 35 minutes, which tells you that you see very little of the home. Most of it is explaining the chandeliers, and that the recent owners brought in many trucks full of their art collections. But, we expected the garden to be great, and it wasn't at all. Very disappointing overall.

3  Thank Criti-gal