“You could see this house 5 times, and not see everything!”

The Calhoun Mansion
and up
Historic Carriage Tour of Charleston
Ranked #41 of 244 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Charleston's architectural treasures, this historic mansion owned by George Walton Williams transports visitors back in time.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

There is so much to say about the Calhoun Mansion. First, the guy who built the house, not Mr. Calhoun, was a very hated man in Charleston. So he decided to build a house to make everyone envious. And it is still a luxious and historic mansion, on the outside. But once you walk inside, the old world house is very suddenly in the new world!

The re-interpretation of the Tiffany glass in the lobby was beautiful, I would have loved to see the original, but it was destroyed by Hurricane Hugo. Once you make your way into the actual house, your mouth almost drops by looking at all of the art scattered around the house. The tour guide said it was 7 tractor trailers full of art! It literally fills the entire house! You could tour this house multiple times, but I don't think you can actually see all of the art pieces! There are just so many.

The one disappointment is that you cannot see the 3rd floor. But this is where the family lives when there, so it is mainly off limits.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We had a tour from Denise, who had moved to Charleston from southern California. No longer than she has been in Charleston she has accumulated a wealth of knowledge. Kudos to her! While the house itself is interesting, the eclectic collection was much more fascinating to us. I wonder how the owner has had time to accumulate all of the valuable antiques we saw. All of the major countries and religions around the world are represented in the collection. Our guide said the contents filled up nine trailers, I dare say it was more than nine. Amazing collections. Our tour guide made the tour more than worth while. After the tour we shared commonalities and I learned her first cousin was a neighbor to my parents. As they say, it is a small world, but I sure wouldn't want to paint it. Make the tour, it is worth the price of admission.

1  Thank Slovtu
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

There is so much antique clutter in this house that its hard to focus on anything. Your head will spin as the knowlegeable tour guide tells an interesting story about the house and its new owners. If you only have time to see one historic home that is furnished appropriately for the period, do not stop here. If you want to see eclectic wealth covering every square inch of a historic home, try this one. Perfect for those wjo like

2  Thank janiac1
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Touring this house is a fascinatingly weird experience. We invested in the grand tour, which is offered when the rest of the house is closed (at $50 a head) This is the only way to experience the whole house -- including the private quarters of the current owners, who must be the most manic collectors on the planet! New additions to the collection are, according to our guide (who doubles as the gardener!), arriving almost daily -- rendering this the most wildly (and ultimately hideously) eclectic (read: overcrowded) house we've ever been inside of. Shades of Citizens Hearst and/or Kane at their most obsessive. Gorgeous house and grounds, though. Maintain your senses of wonder and humor, and this is the spot for you.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Last week in the pouring rain my husband and I pulled over on Meeting Street to wait for the heavy rains to stop. We happened to stop in front of the Calhoun Mansion and decided to take the tour. So glad we did! I loved the history of the house but was more intrigued by the hundreds of beautiful antiques in the home. Our tour guide Denise was the perfect guide: a good mix of interesting information and enjoyable personality that made the tour fun. Thanks Denise! My only complaint would the length of the tour--30 minutes--not long enough to take it all in.