“Context is everything”

and up
Private Historic Carriage Tour of Charleston
Ranked #42 of 245 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Charleston's architectural treasures, this historic mansion owned by George Walton Williams transports visitors back in time.
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This Victorian treasure is filled with one man's collection of beautiful objects. It is a perfect recreation of a 19th century gilded age mansion filled with an eclectic selection of antiquities, antiques and objects. The owner deserves credit for his vision and audicity for overcoming the trend to transform these 19th century palaces into something they were never intended to be; rather bare and stark, these palaces were meant to house and display the owners collections and interests and wealth. People projecting their personal tastes onto this will be disappointed; but if they want to see how truly wealthy people in the gilded age lived this is a perfect example! Bravo!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,307)

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Every time we have an out of town visitor, one of our stops is always at the Calhoun Mansion. It is incredible and very interesting. We never tire of going since there is always something new to learn or a new collection on diplay that the family has recently acquired.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

What a great home and history and we saw a blurr of stuff anc a guide who knew what he wast talking about and could not say it fast enough. One thing he said that did make sense - go to their internet site - better than the tour.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Historic Charleston SC is full of rich southern history. It's one of those places I never get tired of whether I do the same things or something new. We recently took the family for a day trip. My son had never been on a carriage ride so that's how we started. The tour guides are good at making history fun. We were really surprised when my son asked to do the Calhoun Mansion tour that we rode by on the carriage tour - he did not like the house tour we did 2 years ago in Charleston, but he was only 8 years old. The house looks the same on the outside as it has for many years. The gardens have been updated, but are true to southern Charleston style and are gorgeous. As soon as the front doors are opened your senses are assaulted by the absolute gaudiness of the entry hall. You need a lot of imagination to see the southern charm of the house beneath the mountains of eclectic art on exhibit - on the walls, the furniture, the floors, every square inch of the entire house. The tour guide will tell you the previous owner painstakingly spent years renovating the house to its old glory and that the new owner bought the house and shipped in 4 or 5 tractor trailer truckloads of his own personal collections to fill the house. I'm sorry if I'm a purist, but if you're going to advertise the Calhoun Mansion as an example of Charleston history, then it needs to reflect CHARLESTON history. I can appreciate the collections of religious, russian, syrian, asian and various other themes in the right place - but not here. These collections belong in a museum that is devoted to art. Tickets to tour the house are about the same cost in US dollars as full tour of the Louvre in Paris...for my money, the Louvre was a much better deal and experience. I won't waste my time or money visiting the Calhoun Mansion in the future without validating change of ownership and interior displays first. It's been a week since the visit and I still am very disappointed.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is the largest home in Charleston, past & present. The entry fee is $15 & visitors get to see zillions of items collected by the owner throughout his lifetime. The number of possessions is beyond counting and there is a staff of 5 to keep the place going. The owner still lives there but allows tours of 2 floors of the 24,000 sq ft house. This is not a place to bring children.