“great house - terrible staff”

Heyward-Washington House
Book In Advance
More Info
$25.00*
and up
Lost Stories of Black Charleston Walking Tour
Ranked #44 of 232 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic mansion open to the public.
London
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“great house - terrible staff”
Reviewed March 27, 2008

What a pity that this is run by people who give the impression that you are inconveniencing them by turning up.

When I arrived (4.20pm - closes at 5pm) they took my money and then asked me to start in the kitchens and gardens. Exiting via the backdoor they locked it behind me and I had to knock to get back in! When I complained about this they then took me on the tour of the house with barely concealed irritation.

I would still recommend visiting but manage your expectations - Southern hospitality may be non-existant.

2 Thank DaveHarry

Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“one time trip”
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Heyward - Washington House was a good place to see how people lived back then. This house isn't as magnificant as the other house muesums but still very nice. In the back of the house you can see the kitchen and wash room which are not connected to the house. Its only one of two house muesums that still have the original kitchens. It also has a very beautifull garden. All of the house muesums are nice and worth seeing once. I wouldn't go again.

3 Thank holmeslyne
Columbus, OH
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Good Look Into Daily Life in Earlier Times”
Reviewed December 26, 2007

I took as many house tours as I could squeeze in while I was in Charleston, and this was the most helpful in terms of learning about what daily life was like for the original inhabitants. The tour guide explained a lot about how the living quarters were set up and the functionality behind that. The set up was quite different than what I had expected. It was fascinating. That's not the kind of thing they tell you about in history books. She also pointed out some things that the folks back then did to keep cool in the summer. Again, these are the little details that make history more interesting. I learned a lot, and she was more than happy to answer any questions I had. The tour was well worth the price of admission.

1 Thank HistoryGal_OH
Missouri
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great House-snobby tour guide”
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Great Old House! Wonderful furnishings! Beautiful Gardens! Snobby tour guide who thought she was above us. Still...Loved the house

1 Thank noprideMo