“A House with Character”

and up
Charleston’s Old South Carriage Historic Tour
Ranked #11 of 246 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: The Aiken-Rhett House Museum, 48 Elizabeth Street, c. 1820, Is unique in many ways. For example, it remained in the hands of family descendents for 142 years until it was sold to The Charleston Museum and opened as a museum house in 1975. Historic Charleston Foundation purchased the house in 1995 and adopted a conservation approach to the interpretation of this important house and its outbuildings.
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this tour. The audio tour allowed us to spend as much time as we wanted in each room. The preservation aspect of this property really lent itself to the character of the house. It was great to just let our imaginations go.

2  Thank shannah76
Write a ReviewReviews (1,295)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

The Aiken-Rhett house was only a couple of blocks from our hotel, so we decided to walk over and take the tour. The admission fee is quite reasonable and the tour was very well presented through audio. The house was very interesting but the grounds seemed to be the most interesting to me. The grounds include buildings for cooking, laundry, carriages, and other necessities at the point in history in which the house was built. This was a very nice experience and is worth the time and admission fee.

1  Thank IverJohnson
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Since there are a multitude of historical house tours in Charleston, my husband and I narrowed it down to this choice. I am very glad we chose the A-R House, as it was in a state of preservation as opposed to restoration (you will learn a lot about this). It was really neat to see everything exactly how it appeared over 200 years ago. The tour was worth it for $10 but I did feel slighted that you can't take pictures indoors. With the advent of digital cameras, I'm not exactly sure what the problem is with picture-taking, but regardless, I abided by the rules and took outside photos only. Despite this restriction, I'm still very pleased with the tour.

1  Thank ebbie1081
Reviewed September 24, 2013

An in town "plantation" to visit. The property and house are very interesting. However, I was disappointed that the inside of the house was in arrested decay, actually not being repaired or restored.

Yet another attraction that prohibits photography inside the property.

1  Thank Chuck8700
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife and I visited the Aiken-Rhett house last week. The house for the most part is unrestored but that's what lends to its interest. The self-guided audio tour is also a nice touch and allows you to go from room to room relatively undistracted and leaves you with a good impression how daily life was like in its heydey.

1  Thank KnoxDon