“Historic House”

and up
Charleston’s Old South Carriage Historic Tour
Ranked #14 of 245 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: The Aiken-Rhett House Museum, 48 Elizabeth Street, c. 1820, Is unique in many ways. For example, it remained in the hands of family descendents for 142 years until it was sold to The Charleston Museum and opened as a museum house in 1975. Historic Charleston Foundation purchased the house in 1995 and adopted a conservation approach to the interpretation of this important house and its outbuildings.
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Super interesting-a don't miss-it is self guided and really nice not having to keep up with a group-kind of wander and stop at whatever interests you-it is amazing how well preserved it is

Write a ReviewReviews (1,270)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We really enjoyed this house tour - it was amazing! A self guided tour of this beautiful house and property. So amazing to see original wallpaper and furnishings. I love that they haven't completely restored this property. We toured this in combination with the Nathaniel Russell House, which was also great, but this one stood out because of how unique and original it was. Highly recommended!

1  Thank mhwv05
Reviewed November 25, 2012

So I have done just about every house tour you can do in charleston. I was a tour guide for some time and I always recomended this one for people to get a good idea of what a conservation vs a restoration is. This house is a conservation so you can see all the changes the house has gone through over time. Other places are more of a restoration, this is when they have been restored to what they would have looked like when first built. I enjoy both but my favorite is the Aiken Rhett house.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

This home is mostly left as it was. It isn't updated at all, even with electricity. We sweat through most of the tour, but even our now 8 year old (7 years old on the trip) still talks about it three months later. With the house and the audio tour, you really get a visual picture for how people lived.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Aiken-Rhett House is interesting in that it has not been renovated but preserved. You take an audio tour through the house which allows you to stop, ponder, and imagine. I was especially impressed with the kitchen/slave quarters. Maybe impressed is not the correct wording - amazed would be better. You stand there and it is very easy to imagine what life/activity must have been like in the mid-19th century. Slavery is a black mark in our history but we cannot forget. Another room that impressed me was the ballroom on the second floor. It was easy to see, in my mind's eye, men and women dressed to the hilt enjoying a grand ball. If you are interested in history see this house!

2  Thank MobyDicks33