“Went to Film a "Chucktown Horrors" Video, Unimpressed.”
Review of Aiken-Rhett House

and up
Charleston’s Old South Carriage Historic Tour
Ranked #13 of 244 things to do in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: The Aiken-Rhett House Museum, 48 Elizabeth Street, c. 1820, Is unique in many ways. For example, it remained in the hands of family descendents for 142 years until it was sold to The Charleston Museum and opened as a museum house in 1975. Historic Charleston Foundation purchased the house in 1995 and adopted a conservation approach to the interpretation of this important house and its outbuildings.
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I came here because I read it was one of the most haunted locations in Charleston. I called ahead of time to ask if I could film for a series that I'm doing to promote local "haunted" locations in the city. They told me that I could only film and take pictures outside of the building. After the tour, I spoke with a couple of the guides and asked if they had any interesting stories about the home that could be considered "haunted". They told me they didn't know much more than what they said on the tour. The admission fee is a bit high and I left feeling empty handed, but it is worth the stop if you want to see a piece of Charleston history.

1  Thank Clifton M

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was amazed at the house. It was a well organized tour and the house was amazing! I can just image the grandeur this home had in the day. It really showed how well the urban plantation owners really lived. I loved the chandeliers. It is amazing how they have survived the years.

1  Thank DETZ
Reviewed July 11, 2012

So I drug my husband and my kids to the Aiken-Rhett House after reading the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. The staff was very pleasant and helpful and the audio tour actually made each one of us pay close attention to the information that was shared as it lead us through each room. It was only a total of $30 for 2 adults and 2 teens 16 or under which was reasonable as we were working within a budget. I highly recommend the scavenger hunt that is provided with pictures. Both my daughter and I had fun looking for specific items throughout the grounds and the home. Be sure to ask for it when you begin the tour. They even gave my daughter a prize (choice of a kazoo or a pencil) at the end. I am still reflecting upon the ideas that slaves lived within the walls, that dances were held on the second floor, and that rooms were sealed off for decades. Seeing actual artifacts was also meaningful. All four of us were very glad we took the 45 minute tour back in time. We each walked away with a deeper respect for the time period that the house represents. Parking at the nearby visitor's center was a brilliant idea which I knew about thanks to a previous post. It's only a block away.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

The Aiken-Rhett House is a must see for anyone interested in Charleston's history. Unlike the Nathaniel Russell house, this house has been preserved and not restored. This means that everything has been left the way it was when the Aikens lived there. The tour is $10 and it's all audio. You listen to a tape and are able to pause it at any time to look around. It lasts for approximately 45 minutes. This house is one of the very few homes left in the country that has kept up the slave quarters so that visitors can have a first hand look at the life of a slave. The house is large, with the slave quarters separate as well as stables and a large open back yard. There are several staff members that walk around the house and are willing to answer any questions you may have (which you will!).

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I love touring homes and Charleston is THE place for that. Excellent guides. Interesting architecture.