“Calm, cozy and wonderful”
Review of Harbourview Inn

Harbourview Inn
Ranked #6 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed June 18, 2006

My gal and I loved our three nights here. I suppose if you are accustomed to super-high-end luxury, you might be disappointed. But if this kind of hotel is considered a bit of a splurge for your budget, you will love it.

We stayed in the historic section, which is a bit cheaper than the harbor-facing rooms. If the weather is nice, you'll have plenty of time to see the view from the rooftop. We were there in March -- my guess is that the rooftop may be pretty warm in the summer time, unless you go up very early in the morning.

The breakfast in your room is a great touch. It's not a LOT of food, mind you, but it's enough to get you started for the day.

I found the hotel staff very helpful, especially the valet parkers who had good tips for a local brewpub.

You won't need your car for any trips on the peninusla, and the hotel is within very easy walking distance of several top restaurants. Pedicabs are also available.

I hope we can return here. It was a very relaxing and romantic vacation.

• Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank GaryKarr
Write a ReviewReviews (2,133)

Reviewed June 9, 2006

We would definitely stay here again. We loved the location, walking distance to lots of great restaurants (eating outside at the Peninsula Grille was our favorite), but far enough away from the main streets to avoid the noise. The staff could not have been more accomodating. Late one night, we asked one of the doormen if there was a wine store near by. We wanted to sit on the roof of the Harbourview and have a drink. He immediately offered to talk to someone at the front desk to see if we could purchase a bottle from them. Not only did they agree to sell us the bottle, but it was for a very fair price. Enjoyed eating breakfast on the roof and having cheese and wine at the end of the day. Nice decor. Clean.

Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank ellen r
Reviewed June 2, 2006

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary this past week. My husband booked a penthouse room at $309 for the night. The check in/out process was easy and the people were friendly. Our view was outstanding. You can walk to almost anything around the downtown area with no problem.The room however was smaller then we thought it would be. The decor was nice except for the carpeting used. It was a dark blue with gold, and looked like it had some water damage to it. The bathroom was nice, but our whirlpool tub (which was something I really wanted) was broken. I wish the jets worked. The wine and cheese were nice as were the cookies and milk. The breakfast was a choice of pastries or bagels. I had a bagel with granola and yogurt on the side. Myhusband had pastries with fuit on the side. I liked this hotel, but felt for the price that everything should be totally clean and in working order. Charleston is a great city, and I am sure we will be back again soon!

7  Thank agirlinfin2004
new castle, de
Reviewed May 16, 2006

Great view...but that was the only good thing about the place. The room was small, the rug so stained it looked filthy and there were bugs in the bathroom our entire stay ( 5 days) despite complaint to manager ( who was just plain rude). By the time we left the ants had taken up residence in the bed. Gross!!!! We would have checked out but there were 3 graduations in the city that weekend and no rooms to be had!!!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Loudoun Co., Va.
Reviewed May 13, 2006

Pros: convenient location, close to downtown attractions and restaurants; quiet; comfortable rooms, polite staff, excellent bellman service; some rooms on E side of hotel have view of Charleston harbor
Cons: very limited room service, no hot meals, limited in-house breakfast offerings; limited cable TV channels and no internet service; if you have a car you must use valet parking at added cost; some rooms on W side of hotel have a view of a power substation.

We stayed here for three nights. We enjoyed being close to downtown attractions and historic homes. For the price paid, however, I expected a little more. Simply put, the product here is a bit dated. Cable TV offerings are about what you would expect circa 1980 with only a few channels. Several web sites state that this hotel features "high speed internet" service, which I believe is false (I needed to check my company's e-mail when I was here and I was unable to do so). Summary: quiet, comfortable place to stay with limited amenities. For the price paid, I'll try to stay at Charleston Place next time.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC
Reviewed May 3, 2006

Our family and friends recently enjoyed a stay at the HarbourView as we celebrated our daughter's wedding. The group included folks who grew up in Charleston as well as some for whom this was their first trip to the area. To a person we had an excellent experience. The hotel is in a terrific location, with great views of the Cooper River and the park that runs along the river. It is walking distance to many of the shops, restuaurants and sites a visitor would want to see. The rooms are large and well appointed. Its best feature, however, is the staff. To a person they were friendly and accomodating, and they went out of their way to be helpful. You can imagine the flurry of activity as our 40 plus guests sought out sites to see, places to eat, and last minute needs as we all prepared for the ceremony. Then there was the aftermath as we packed up more clothing, party props and gifts than we had arrived with and had multiple taxi and car departures. The staff did not miss a beat. We heartily recommend this hotel and its sister hotel, the French Quarter Inn, where some other of our guests stayed and enjoyed.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 2, 2006

We just returned from a 5-night stay at the Harbor View Inn and have nothing but positive things to say. Though not inexpensive, we felt the hotel was certainly worth the cost. The hotel is very well done (refined, yet casual), the location is wonderful and the staff very helpful and friendly. We stayed at the hotel with two young children and they felt welcomed. We will plan on staying at the Harbor View Inn when we return to Charleston.

Stayed: April 2006