This is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful location. The lobby is tiny, however, with a tiny elevator.
We booked a room at a discounted price (available on their website but not by phone). (And beware of potential surcharges from Expedia. Better to go to Harbourview's own site.)
With a discounted room, I wasn't too surprised to be given one with an unlovely view of an electrical generation plant. What bothered me was that the hotel was very quiet on that weekday night, and I think it would be a better policy to give everyone a beautiful harbor view if the room would otherwise stand empty.
A small amount of stinginess marred an otherwise gracious hospitality on the part of the staff. We were given two complimentary water bottles, though our reservation was for four people. My children drank up the water and were still thirsty. I turned on the tap, and though I waited quite a while, the "cold" water continued to run warm. I stopped at the desk to ask about this. (Evidently the water in Charleston is something of a community problem in a number of ways.) I was offered two more bottles of water (not chilled -- that would have been a lovely touch), but what bothered me was that I was told that the two additional bottles would have to be considered our room's allottment for the second night of our stay. This seemed such a "nickel and dime" kind of thing for such a nice hotel to do. Especially since we were only getting 2 bottles for a room with 4 people. And especially since the hotel is aware that the warm tap water in the room is not an option. It was hot during our stay, so we ended up driving out to buy some bottled water. Seems like a small thing, but it was a real nuisance that day. And little things can sometimes make or break your stay.
The (complimentary) breakfast delivered to the room was very elegant, and the kids had a ball checking off the items they wanted from the little menu that you were to hang on your doorknob the night before.
The cookies and treats in the afternoon were very nice.
Overall, very nice -- and would have been perfect, if Mr. Scrooge hadn't been in charge of writing the bottled water policy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy unparalleled service and signature amenities from this AAA Four-Diamond and Condé Nast "Gold List Award" luxury hotel. Panoramic views, vast atriums and beautifully appointed guest rooms - some with private balconies, working fireplaces, and whirlpool tubs - await your arrival. From the moment you enter one of the most historic hotels in Charleston, SC, you will find modern features and services, old world charm and unpretentious Southern hospitality. The waterfront and atrium lobbies are reminiscent of Charleston's early years as a colonial nautical trading hub. They offer the perfect setting for idle reflection, a glass of wine or just the refined sport of people watching. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ Supplier Direct, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and getaroom.com so you can book your Harbourview Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbourview Hotel Charleston
- Harbour View Inn Charleston