“Lovely location”

Ranked #5 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Boise, Idaho
“Lovely location”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This is a lovely boutique hotel. The young men who greet you at the door are exceptional.
Interesting problem is the cable TV set up. Do NOT stay here during basketball playoffs or any other sport you might want to see. The hotel has neglected to include any ESPN stations.
Recommend you request the 4th floor and not rooms 209 thru 212. These rooms overlook a power substation behind the hotel. Breakfast in room or guest area is included as well as a wine, cheese, fruit serving at 5:00.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank marymargaretcarr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My husband surprised me with a get away weekend to Charleston for my birthday and he booked a room at the Harbourview Inn. He warned me that he decided not to upgrade to the room with a harbor view, and I agreed that we'd be out and about most of the time, so it didn't matter. Well, when we got to our room, we were pleasantly surprised that we were in one of the corner rooms with a harbor view! My husband said that he did tell them that it was my birthday, so maybe they upgraded us for that reason.
What a great room! Beautiful furnishings, comfortable bed and a great view. We got a glass of wine, some cheese and crackers and headed up to the roof top to enjoy ourselves. We were there in January, so it was a little cool, even for Charleston, so we went back down to our room. By the time we got there, the staff had already left us a complimentary glass of champagne and a little birthday card. What a pleasant surprise!n Totally unexpected!
Needless to say, the location is great. Not a long walk from just about everything.
The staff was always courteous and helpful, but I think my favorite thing about our stay was being able to have coffee and breakfast delivered to our room in the morning. Just put the hang tag on your door the night before and they show up at the specified time with hot coffee and the food of your choice. No need to change out of pajamas!
I don't know that I have ever enjoyed my birthday more and the HarbourView Inn is a big reason for that.

Room Tip: Room 302 was lovely.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank traveller22315
Fort Worth, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had a fabulous stay at Harbourview Inn in Charleston, SC! The hotel is adorable with a great location on the water in downtown Charleston! It is a must stay next time you are there. Breakfast is included as well as evening wine and cheese! The room was spacious and comfortable and the staff very accommodating!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Given that every decent hotel was being booked for the New Years right under our noses, we were left with very little choices. Plus,given that the Harbourview Inn is a "sister" property of the French Quarter, we thought "why not?"

As per other reviews:
amazing location, amazing beds, great pillows, bathrobes, great concierge, amazing cookies& milk, nightly turn down service a plus, wine & cheese reception, decent bathrooms, great valet, access to tea and coffee as you needed, decent cleanliness (definitely better than most hotels we stayed at)

What we really didn't like:
- first floor, accessible room ( I understand, they are a must, but really?) -> therefore: a "superb " view of the air con/heating/whatever units by our window, and the "amazing" sounds they produced, so it was noisy all night!
- poorly lit room, it was so dark, even with all the lights on (yellow-ish lights as opposed to brighter ones)
- no ventilation in the bathrooms -> mold on the ceiling
- phone that didn't work but which they "couldn't" come fix in time so I needed to roam on my Canadian cellphone to call local numbers
- wine and cheese reception right outside our room, so we couldn't really come and go as we pleased without people seeing in our room

Imagine thus our surprise after paying over $300/night... Another visit? Only if the French Quarter or the Restoration on King are not available and only if we can get a room with a view, thus on the opposite site.

Room Tip: I know it's $$$, but try getting a room facing the water, thus on the 2nd or 3rd floors Try avo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mira_que_Bella
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We attended the Charleston Wine and Food Festival and stayed at the Harborview Inn for two nights. This original building has been used for several different things over the years, but the Harborview Inn seems to be a keeper. The location is primo, within walking distance to the heart of tourist destinations, dining and shopping. The staff was exceptional and well versed on what it takes to truly deliver good customer service. The room was well appointed, but a little cramped with big furniture, but there were several nice touches that made up for it in comfort. Complimentary breakfast delivered when and where you want it is the perfect start to a busy day. However, Activa yogurt isn’t high on our list of favorites. Otherwise, it was a terrific stay and one we look forward to repeating.

Room Tip: Room 309 is a nice, quiet corner room on the backside of the Inn with sweeping views of the harbor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a three-night stay at the Harbourview, and I thought it was a excellent hotel. It was a small place but elegant and very clean. The rooms felt more like a B&B style room, with four-post beds (we enjoyed the tempurpedic mattress) and a nice open layout. The room and bathroom were very clean when we arrived and the staff did an excellent job of keeping them that way.

As for other amenities, breakfast is delivered to your room every morning (awesome), there are tea and snacks available all day and milk and cookies at night. These might seem like small touches, but they make the place that much nicer and more memorable. There is also a terrace on the fourth floor where you can go out and look at the harbor. The location is great too, very close to a lot of restaurants and bars on East Bay street and a short walk to Market and King streets.

All in all, I really have no complaints and I thought this was a great place to stay. I would recommend it to friends and I would return there myself.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was my fourth trip to Charleston, obviously I love this town. I saw the Harbourview on a previous trip and given it's perfect location, decided that I wanted to stay there. The room was nice, unfortunately overlooking a very large power grid and the beds are very comfortable. Our bathroom ceiling had some water stains as well as the floor at the corner of the tub. All in all, a nice place to stay. The one thing that really bothered me was the amount my credit card was charged as a "preauthorization" at the time of check-in. My sister and I were sharing the cost and she offered her credit card as well but the clerk said it wasn't necessary as it was just a preauthorization. Usually a hotel will hold a few hundred dollars or the equivalent of one nights charge plus tax, that is what I was expecting. Imagine my shock when I saw that they had held (not available to me) $943 - and we were staying for only three nights. I mentioned this to the front desk clerk and said that this really should be disclosed at the time of check-in. During our stay I saw another customer at the front desk with the same issue. Hotel policy, fine - but tell the guests when they are checking in! As it turned out, our stay with parking and tax was just over $700. So why preauthorize $943? There is no honor bar nor anything else to spend money on at the hotel so I'm stumped as to why they "preauthorized" so much. I travel pretty often and love to stay at nice hotels and this has never happened before - rest assured I will be asking from now on "exactly how much will you preauthorize?" Too many other great options for accommodations in Charleston, think I'll try another one next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends