“Harborview Inn, Charleston, SC”
Review of Harbourview Inn

Harbourview Inn
Ranked #5 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had a fabulous stay at Harbourview Inn in Charleston, SC! The hotel is adorable with a great location on the water in downtown Charleston! It is a must stay next time you are there. Breakfast is included as well as evening wine and cheese! The room was spacious and comfortable and the staff very accommodating!

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Given that every decent hotel was being booked for the New Years right under our noses, we were left with very little choices. Plus,given that the Harbourview Inn is a "sister" property of the French Quarter, we thought "why not?"

As per other reviews:
amazing location, amazing beds, great pillows, bathrobes, great concierge, amazing cookies& milk, nightly turn down service a plus, wine & cheese reception, decent bathrooms, great valet, access to tea and coffee as you needed, decent cleanliness (definitely better than most hotels we stayed at)

What we really didn't like:
- first floor, accessible room ( I understand, they are a must, but really?) -> therefore: a "superb " view of the air con/heating/whatever units by our window, and the "amazing" sounds they produced, so it was noisy all night!
- poorly lit room, it was so dark, even with all the lights on (yellow-ish lights as opposed to brighter ones)
- no ventilation in the bathrooms -> mold on the ceiling
- phone that didn't work but which they "couldn't" come fix in time so I needed to roam on my Canadian cellphone to call local numbers
- wine and cheese reception right outside our room, so we couldn't really come and go as we pleased without people seeing in our room

Imagine thus our surprise after paying over $300/night... Another visit? Only if the French Quarter or the Restoration on King are not available and only if we can get a room with a view, thus on the opposite site.

Room Tip: I know it's $$$, but try getting a room facing the water, thus on the 2nd or 3rd floors Try avo...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mira_que_Bella
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We attended the Charleston Wine and Food Festival and stayed at the Harborview Inn for two nights. This original building has been used for several different things over the years, but the Harborview Inn seems to be a keeper. The location is primo, within walking distance to the heart of tourist destinations, dining and shopping. The staff was exceptional and well versed on what it takes to truly deliver good customer service. The room was well appointed, but a little cramped with big furniture, but there were several nice touches that made up for it in comfort. Complimentary breakfast delivered when and where you want it is the perfect start to a busy day. However, Activa yogurt isn’t high on our list of favorites. Otherwise, it was a terrific stay and one we look forward to repeating.

Room Tip: Room 309 is a nice, quiet corner room on the backside of the Inn with sweeping views of the harbor...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a three-night stay at the Harbourview, and I thought it was a excellent hotel. It was a small place but elegant and very clean. The rooms felt more like a B&B style room, with four-post beds (we enjoyed the tempurpedic mattress) and a nice open layout. The room and bathroom were very clean when we arrived and the staff did an excellent job of keeping them that way.

As for other amenities, breakfast is delivered to your room every morning (awesome), there are tea and snacks available all day and milk and cookies at night. These might seem like small touches, but they make the place that much nicer and more memorable. There is also a terrace on the fourth floor where you can go out and look at the harbor. The location is great too, very close to a lot of restaurants and bars on East Bay street and a short walk to Market and King streets.

All in all, I really have no complaints and I thought this was a great place to stay. I would recommend it to friends and I would return there myself.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This was my fourth trip to Charleston, obviously I love this town. I saw the Harbourview on a previous trip and given it's perfect location, decided that I wanted to stay there. The room was nice, unfortunately overlooking a very large power grid and the beds are very comfortable. Our bathroom ceiling had some water stains as well as the floor at the corner of the tub. All in all, a nice place to stay. The one thing that really bothered me was the amount my credit card was charged as a "preauthorization" at the time of check-in. My sister and I were sharing the cost and she offered her credit card as well but the clerk said it wasn't necessary as it was just a preauthorization. Usually a hotel will hold a few hundred dollars or the equivalent of one nights charge plus tax, that is what I was expecting. Imagine my shock when I saw that they had held (not available to me) $943 - and we were staying for only three nights. I mentioned this to the front desk clerk and said that this really should be disclosed at the time of check-in. During our stay I saw another customer at the front desk with the same issue. Hotel policy, fine - but tell the guests when they are checking in! As it turned out, our stay with parking and tax was just over $700. So why preauthorize $943? There is no honor bar nor anything else to spend money on at the hotel so I'm stumped as to why they "preauthorized" so much. I travel pretty often and love to stay at nice hotels and this has never happened before - rest assured I will be asking from now on "exactly how much will you preauthorize?" Too many other great options for accommodations in Charleston, think I'll try another one next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at the Harbourview for three nights in January and loved our visit. We had previously stayed several times at a sister hotel, French Quarter Inn, and also loved that hotel, but we just decided it was time for a change. Both hotels are wonderful, but we did enjoy the location of the Harbourview more. The lobby of the FQI, though, is much more spacious--it's quite beautiful.

We paid for a harbor view room on a top floor and also requested to be close to the fountain. These requests, I think, ensured us a superior view. The room itself was not as large as I had thought it would be, but the furnishings were lovely, the bed fantastic, and the bathroom was quite nice. We had enough closet/storage space for our 3-night stay, but it would have been problematic for a stay of much longer. We were able to peek into a room across the hall (not a harbor view, I think), and it seemed much larger.

Our balcony was a definite plus--especially since it was warm enough while we were there to sit out. We went downstairs for the complimentary wine/cheese and brought them up to enjoy on our balcony. On top of that, the sunrises over the water each morning were breathtaking.

We had the complimentary breakfast both in the room and downstairs. The cereal is not out downstairs, but the attendants nicely provided it when asked.

We definitely will stay at the Harbourview during our next Charleston trip. We were more than happy with the hotel and the location.

The balcony was a definite plus, and it was warm enough during the time we were there to sit out. On top of it all, the sunrises each morning were breathtaking.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank r0ckhill
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, off the main road, but close enough to walk to where we wanted to go, The Marketplace, the water, restaurants. Our room was comfortable and clean, the view was from the roof was beautiful. Our room was located right off the atrium where breakfast is served at your request, and wine and cheese is offered in the evening. We were unsure of this location at first, but it turned out to be fine, the coffee and tea was there also, so we did not have to go far to get a cup. We look forward to staying there again in the future. We did not want to check out when we had to leave, so that says alot in itself.

Room Tip: Nice views are not a guarantee here. We looked had a view of palm trees hiding the electric grid, bu...