Andrew Pinckney Inn
  • Pool
Indigo Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$249
  • Breakfast included
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$249
$229
EmbassySuites.com
$359
$228
$197
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$129
$239
$219
French Quarter Inn(Charleston)
$399
$389
Travelocity
1,703 results
All reviewsrooftop breakfastgreat locationtownhouse suitecookieswine and cheesewithin walking distancehistoric districtvalet parkingbreakfast is servedfourth floorrooftop deckchurch streetmain buildingstreet noisemorning breakfastboutique hotelyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 21, 2008

My experience at this property requires both fact and anecdotes to adequately describe it.

First, the facts:
-The hotel is about a block and a half off of Meeting Street and about two blocks from Market Street. It is also within easy walking distance of the shopping on King Street and, if it's a nice day, it would be a pleasant walk down East Bay to the Battery. All that to say: the location is great.
-The hotel is split between two buildings on different sides of Pinckney Street. The smaller of the two buildings has the lobby/front desk area as well as some rooms (that open directly outside). The larger building (where my rooms were) is across the street and has a small sitting area on the lobby level, a "business center" (that has one computer), and a small breakfast area/veranda on the fourth floor.
-Parking is twelve dollars per day, and your pass entitles you to three options. There is a small gravel lot behind the smaller building that holds about ten cars. There is VERY small "garage" attached to the larger building that holds three cars (more on that later), and there is a larger parking garage down the street attached to Bank of America that is free if you're staying in the hotel. This is not the hotel for you if you want guaranteed parking near the front door (or even more ideally, valet).
-The rooms are small, but relatively neat. Depending on the location within the hotel (at least in the larger building), it can be quite noisy. The main lobby/check in area is nice, and they have fresh cookies in the afternoon, which is always a nice touch. The breakfast area is pitifully small, and the majority of it is outside, so if it's cold and rainy (as it tends to be in South Carolina in January), you're out of luck.
-The staff was hit or miss. That brings me to the anecdotal section:

We were staying at this hotel to attend a wedding in Charleston. I arrived on Friday and stayed in a room on the first floor. My wife, mother-in-law and infant son arrived on Saturday morning, and we had a second room for my mother-in-law and my child. Theirs was on the third floor. Check in was easy enough, and the young man working the front desk was helpful. In fact, on the second day, I inquired as to whether my mother-in-law could check in before the 3 PM check-in time, and he went out of his way to make sure that it was ready for their 12:30 arrival, which was very helpful. My room had pretty bad noise coming from three sides. On one side, I had the street, which included stumbling drunks at 2 AM and a garbage truck at 5 AM. On another side, I had the elevator, which was helping the stumbling drunks up to their room at 2 AM and included people leaving early in the morning. On the third side, I had an ice maker and the housekeeping facility along with the main staircase. Between all these different noises, and what I would guess is pretty poor insulation, it's pretty hard to sleep. Our third floor room wasn't any better. It was directly beneath the breakfast area, and my mother-in-law said that they started preparing about 5:30 AM. She could also hear the street noise even though it was several floors below.

A few odd occurences:
On the second day, it was cold and rainy, which precluded me from enjoying the city, so I spent the morning in my room. Housekeeping came by several times to clean, so I finally just went to sit in the lobby thinking that they were just going to make the bed and replace the towels. I went back about a half hour later, and they had stripped my bed of its sheets (after the first night of a two-night stay!). I inquired to cleaning lady, and I was told that the sheets were in the laundry and that "everything else was done, though, so I could go back in my room." Well, my room had no seating except for the bed, and there are few things I'd rather sit on than a bare hotel room mattress (yuck!), so I sat in the lobby for almost three hours reading and waiting for them to put sheets on the bed. I would hope that most hotels have more than one set of sheets per bed, but apparently this was not the case. Very odd.

When my wife arrived, there was one spot left in the little three car garage attached to our building. She pulled in, but someone had parked a giant SUV in the middle spot (even though the sign says not to) and she couldn't fit in the end spot. A hotel employee (whom I believe was the maintenance man), told her to park it at the end of the garage in an area that wasn't really a parking spot. That seemed fine until 4 AM when the hotel staff called my mother-in-law's room (the room to which the car was registered), woke her and my baby up, then called our room, and without identifying herself, without saying, "I'm sorry to disturb you at this hour," started the call with (in a very mean voice), "Is that your black Volvo? That is NOT a parking spot. You need to move it NOW so we can get the trash out." I went to move the car, assuming that I was blocking a garbage truck from a dumpster or something, but from what I could tell, there were only three garbage cans that could have easily been maneuvered around the car. Even if the car absolutely had to have been moved, I would happily have done it if a) a hotel staff member hadn't told me to park there in the first place and b) the woman on the other end of the phone been even remotely polite. Not the best experience.

One thing I noticed as I was coming in from moving the car at 4 AM. The door to the second building (one with most of the rooms) was unlocked. Since there is no front desk and no staff in this building, that seems a bit dangerous to me. Anyone could walk in and wander the halls.

Also, for what it's worth, my bathtub/shower leaked onto the bathroom floor.

As my subject heading says, it's not a great hotel, but it's not a bad one. The service was at times good, and the incident with the car is probably just bad luck. As many other reviewers have stated, the hotel is VERY noisy. I guess my recommendation of the hotel would depend on what price you were paying. If you find a great deal on the internet (I'd say under $140 per night), then it's a decent deal because of the location. But I paid over $200 per night, plus taxes and parking, and it's not worth that. When I pay $200 and up per night for a hotel, I expect one of four things: incredible facilities, incredible staff and pampering, incredible history or a VERY good location. Of those four, this hotel has only a good location, and it doesn't have the market cornered on that. There are probably eight other hotels within two blocks that have nicer facilities or cheaper prices. For what I paid, I'd say to step it up a little bit and go over to stay at the Planters Inn on Market Street. It's a whole lot nicer and quieter for just a bit more money. If you have a great price and you're a heavy sleeper, this hotel may be sufficient for you, but I will probably not stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank SCTravelGuy
Reviewed January 13, 2008

My wife and I live in the area, but wanted to stay in downtown Charleston to celebrate our anniversary. We found a really good deal online for the Andrew Pinckney Inn and decided to stay there since we knew it was also very convenient location.

Our room was not large, but quite adequate and very clean. We were right beside the elevator, and on the first floor beside Church Street
so I was worried about noise. I never heard the elevator or people. Only the street sweeper woke me up, but it passed by so quickly that I
was able to fall back asleep. I never heard other traffic.

Breakfast on the rooftop terrace was nice. We would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ModerationForMe
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We spent New Year's Eve at Pinckney Inn and could not be happier with our accommodations. The only problem was we heard what I thought was the HVAC unit cycling on/off. We were in 401 so with being on the top floor that made my assumption plausible. Anyway, the continental beakfast was very good and since we sat on the terrace on New Year's day, we were very happy. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2007

The Andrew Pinckney Inn is a real find: well run, well furnished and with a stunning view from the top floor where a cut above breakfast is served. It is on a quiet but convenient street. The property is well maintained and the staff friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed November 12, 2007

From the time the room was booked until we completed our stay, the staff was incredible. Our room was clean and quiet. The location could not be better as it is a block from the Market and all the restaurants. We would highly recommend staying here.

Highlands, NC

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CHARLESTOWNEHOTELS, Manager at Andrew Pinckney Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2007

The feedback of our guests is extremely important to us. I would like to thank the author of this review for taking the time to share their experience with us. As a small Inn we pride ourselves in personalized service in addition to a wonderful location. For the best rate, guaranteed, on all reservations please visit www.andrewpinckneyinn.com.