“Great location and staff”

Days Inn Charleston Historic District
Ranked #47 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Aiken, SC
“Great location and staff”
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We were in Charleston this past weekend for the Senior PGA at Kiawah. We spent one night at the Historic District Days Inn. We paid the rack rate of $239. I imagine this is somewhat above the usual rate due to the golf tournament and Spoleto. We arrived about 1:30 PM and were told our room was ready (smoking) but if we were willing to wait until 3:00 PM we could have a non smoking room as I had requested when I made the reservations. The desk clerks were very friendly and helpful. Our room (2 dbls.) was adequate and very clean. It would have been nice to have two sinks and two mirrors. The beds were very comfortable and there were sufficient lights, the usual toiletries and coffee items and also a microwave. Parking was sufficient and there is a parking garage around the corner which hotel guests can use (with a charge but the hotel reimburses you). We had breakfast at Diana's, the restaurant located in the hotel. We ordered an omlet to be shared between the two of us and the wait staff was very accomodating. Omlet was good but a little dry. Coffee was good. The waitress and her daughter were very friendly and funny and they gave very good and pleasant service. We felt very lucky to get this reservation as we called only about 3 weeks in advance. The location was great and within walking distance to most things. However, if you plan to eat at the Boathouse (very good - see my review) on East Bay do not plan to walk (especially in heels). Someone told us it was only about 6 blocks - WRONG

Stayed May 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Bridgend, South Wales, UK
Reviewed May 12, 2007

Great central location. Helpful staff. Used a voucher from one of the many magazines that can be collected at the tourist centres. $109 for one night for a double bedded room. The usual problem with the shower - difficult to get the temperature just right (but this seems to happen in 9/10 hotels we stay in!)
We were in Room 252 which was on the corner by the main road so was very noisy in the night, however the room was spotlessly clean, great price and free internet and free parking.
Overall I would recommend anyone to stay here - but if you could request a room away from the main road I am sure it would help.

• Stayed April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

southeastern US
Reviewed April 24, 2007

This is a very OLD hotel and shows its age. The reports of a mildew problem in the bathrooms are accurate. In our bathroom in looked like the maids really tried to battle it but the ventilation problems just made it a losing battle. And we did have GOOD maid service during our stay.

I think the beds must be brand new. VERY comfortable. Also seemed like new sheets and pillows. The fridge and microwave came in handy. However, both rooms in our party had quite a few maintainance issues. -- like the mildew, TV remote batteries, one fridge struggled to keep cold enough, one HVAC system was a little smelly (needed the filters cleaned).

The parking is limited, however, we always managed to find a space somewhere on the property if not necessarily right by our room. Not a problem for us because we have no walking problems.

The real bargain on this place is the location and the rooms are bigger than the Best Western a few blocks down the street.

The staff was attentive and polite although they were not able to help us out much on tourist information about the city, which I found inexcusable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — maintainance issues.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Texas
Reviewed April 11, 2007

I read the reviews on the Internet prior to my arrival so I have to say that I was not expecting much. But, since I booked my reservation
through the Days Inn website I could not get a refund for any reason.
I don't think that is a very customer friendly policy. Most other hotels allow for cancellation up to 24 hours before arrival. I was also surprised that my credit card was charged when I made the reservation instead of when I actually stayed at the hotel. I don't like that policy either. Upon arriving at the hotel I thought it looked pretty good from the street so I was hopeful that the reviews were written by picky people that are never happy with anything. But, I found most of what was written to be pretty accurate. Parking
is woefully inadequate. There wasn't even a space for me to park while I registered. There is an overflow lot, but not really convenient for unloading your luggage. The lobby is quite worn and in bad need of renovation. The rooms are small and the bathrooms are TINY. The bottom was falling out of the chest of drawers in the room so one drawer was unusable. The remote for the tiny television did not work. But, when I reported it to management they gave me a new one so it was no big deal. Our room had a refrigerator and a microwave - very convenient. The housekeeping in the guest rooms could improve. The grout in our bathroom was black, and I don't think
housekeeping ever cleans behind the door. I found someone else's used
Band-Aid in my bathtub. Gross! I stayed at the Days Inn for four days, and it was still there when I left. The smoke detector went off
in the middle of the first night for no apparent reason. We got a new
battery for it though so that was okay. The rooms are very noisy. I heard delivery trucks all night long. If you are a light sleeper you might want to consider this. The location and design of the building are not quiet. I was charged for the safe even though I was never offered a key and didn't use it. I know there is not much that can be
done about the size of the rooms, the parking, or the noise, but I think housekeeping and the decor could definitely use some upgrading.
The location of the hotel is great. But, there are a lot of choices downtown, and I would definitely fork over the extra 20 or 30 bucks a night to stay some place nicer next time.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Cleveland
Reviewed March 20, 2007

This was the lowest price place I could find in downtown Charleston with a parking place. That's about the only good thing - and the hotel's location.

After checking in, we were shocked to have someone else open our door to come in. The staff actually assigned the same room to the other people as well. The Wifi connection did not work and I could not get in touch with tech support. Fortunately the wifi access from a neighboring inn was open so I am using that. The bathroom was not very attractive - there was mold on the wall paper. The coffee pot in the room actually had a white residue in it. And the staff looked like they hated working there. For a place that cost over $100, it sure felt like it was a place that charges only $30 a night.

• Liked — Free parking
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
Reviewed December 29, 2006

A friend of mine and I stayed at this property on Dec. 27th and we had a terrible stay. It seemed everything went wrong once we arrived. I should state that I work in a hotel up north in Boston, so I am very familiar with the inner working's shall we say, but there is 2 major security procedures that any hotel employee must observe to ensure the safety of their guest's in any hotel. The first is to never say out loud a guest's room number, and the second is not to check a guest into an already occupied room. This hotel ignored both of these basic standards upon my arrival, and did just this !! There were other mis-steps as well, such as informing me that I did not have a reservation, upon arrival, when I did,as the hotel was pre-paid on line via Expedia. The agent who was attempting to check me in, was not trained to input an "internet booking", as she informed me. She told me that I would have to call Expedia and straighten this out on my own. She did not offer to call them on my behalf as any hotel person should have done, as I am the guest, not the other way around!!
Once we arrived into the our second room, as I said earlier they checked us into an occupied room, which was very embarrasing on our part, as well as, the couple which we disturbed !!
There was a few maintance/housekeeping issue's, such as the paint peeling off the back of the bathroom door and the dead bugs thay you could see when the light was on in the bathroom in the ceiling. If this was not gross enough, we found hairs in the tub....overall a lack of cleanliness or caring on the part of the housekeeping staff.
I called Expedia to inform them of my disappointing experience at one of their properties that they partner with for on-line bookings. They called the hotel and spoke to the GM to explain this situation. Expedia informed me that this proprety would rebate $35.25 from the credit card that paid for the room. I do not believe that this was enough compensation on part of the hotel, for everything that went wrong with this stay, and I will not stay at any of this hotel chain' other properties nor will I reccomend this company to stay with. There are other moderatly priced hotel chain's that offer similar services and products that do a much better job at providing excellent customer service without risking your safety.

• Liked — location to the historical district
  • Disliked — checking into a room that is already occupied !!!
  • Tips/Secrets — Be ware of this property....
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
9 Thank concierge250
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Stayed at this property for a single night Friday, 11/10/06. Location is excellent and this is the best part of hotel. They do a pretty good job with what they have but the bottom line is this place is old. The hotel staff was nice enough. The rooms are old and very small. Don't plan to spread out in the bathroom! Interestingly, I thought the beds were actually comfortable! This place is VERY BASIC. Don't expect luxury! But it is a decent place to crash...kind of like the old college days! One very negative thing about this place is that it is VERY NOISY! This must be because the rooms are all outside rooms and the property is on a very busy road. A positive for this hotel is that they will allow a one night stay whereas many of the other properties in the area required a 2 night stay. Next time I am in Charleston I will try to stay somewhere else but I would stay here again if I had to. And last but not least...my room cost over $200 for one night. Because I am familiar with Charleston I expected this but many others woudl feel completely ripped off!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple