“Cheaper than most, but not worth the savings”

Days Inn Charleston Historic District
Ranked #47 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed April 11, 2007

I read the reviews on the Internet prior to my arrival so I have to say that I was not expecting much. But, since I booked my reservation
through the Days Inn website I could not get a refund for any reason.
I don't think that is a very customer friendly policy. Most other hotels allow for cancellation up to 24 hours before arrival. I was also surprised that my credit card was charged when I made the reservation instead of when I actually stayed at the hotel. I don't like that policy either. Upon arriving at the hotel I thought it looked pretty good from the street so I was hopeful that the reviews were written by picky people that are never happy with anything. But, I found most of what was written to be pretty accurate. Parking
is woefully inadequate. There wasn't even a space for me to park while I registered. There is an overflow lot, but not really convenient for unloading your luggage. The lobby is quite worn and in bad need of renovation. The rooms are small and the bathrooms are TINY. The bottom was falling out of the chest of drawers in the room so one drawer was unusable. The remote for the tiny television did not work. But, when I reported it to management they gave me a new one so it was no big deal. Our room had a refrigerator and a microwave - very convenient. The housekeeping in the guest rooms could improve. The grout in our bathroom was black, and I don't think
housekeeping ever cleans behind the door. I found someone else's used
Band-Aid in my bathtub. Gross! I stayed at the Days Inn for four days, and it was still there when I left. The smoke detector went off
in the middle of the first night for no apparent reason. We got a new
battery for it though so that was okay. The rooms are very noisy. I heard delivery trucks all night long. If you are a light sleeper you might want to consider this. The location and design of the building are not quiet. I was charged for the safe even though I was never offered a key and didn't use it. I know there is not much that can be
done about the size of the rooms, the parking, or the noise, but I think housekeeping and the decor could definitely use some upgrading.
The location of the hotel is great. But, there are a lot of choices downtown, and I would definitely fork over the extra 20 or 30 bucks a night to stay some place nicer next time.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (2,469)

Reviewed March 20, 2007

This was the lowest price place I could find in downtown Charleston with a parking place. That's about the only good thing - and the hotel's location.

After checking in, we were shocked to have someone else open our door to come in. The staff actually assigned the same room to the other people as well. The Wifi connection did not work and I could not get in touch with tech support. Fortunately the wifi access from a neighboring inn was open so I am using that. The bathroom was not very attractive - there was mold on the wall paper. The coffee pot in the room actually had a white residue in it. And the staff looked like they hated working there. For a place that cost over $100, it sure felt like it was a place that charges only $30 a night.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 29, 2006

A friend of mine and I stayed at this property on Dec. 27th and we had a terrible stay. It seemed everything went wrong once we arrived. I should state that I work in a hotel up north in Boston, so I am very familiar with the inner working's shall we say, but there is 2 major security procedures that any hotel employee must observe to ensure the safety of their guest's in any hotel. The first is to never say out loud a guest's room number, and the second is not to check a guest into an already occupied room. This hotel ignored both of these basic standards upon my arrival, and did just this !! There were other mis-steps as well, such as informing me that I did not have a reservation, upon arrival, when I did,as the hotel was pre-paid on line via Expedia. The agent who was attempting to check me in, was not trained to input an "internet booking", as she informed me. She told me that I would have to call Expedia and straighten this out on my own. She did not offer to call them on my behalf as any hotel person should have done, as I am the guest, not the other way around!!
Once we arrived into the our second room, as I said earlier they checked us into an occupied room, which was very embarrasing on our part, as well as, the couple which we disturbed !!
There was a few maintance/housekeeping issue's, such as the paint peeling off the back of the bathroom door and the dead bugs thay you could see when the light was on in the bathroom in the ceiling. If this was not gross enough, we found hairs in the tub....overall a lack of cleanliness or caring on the part of the housekeeping staff.
I called Expedia to inform them of my disappointing experience at one of their properties that they partner with for on-line bookings. They called the hotel and spoke to the GM to explain this situation. Expedia informed me that this proprety would rebate $35.25 from the credit card that paid for the room. I do not believe that this was enough compensation on part of the hotel, for everything that went wrong with this stay, and I will not stay at any of this hotel chain' other properties nor will I reccomend this company to stay with. There are other moderatly priced hotel chain's that offer similar services and products that do a much better job at providing excellent customer service without risking your safety.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
9  Thank concierge250
Reviewed November 12, 2006

Stayed at this property for a single night Friday, 11/10/06. Location is excellent and this is the best part of hotel. They do a pretty good job with what they have but the bottom line is this place is old. The hotel staff was nice enough. The rooms are old and very small. Don't plan to spread out in the bathroom! Interestingly, I thought the beds were actually comfortable! This place is VERY BASIC. Don't expect luxury! But it is a decent place to crash...kind of like the old college days! One very negative thing about this place is that it is VERY NOISY! This must be because the rooms are all outside rooms and the property is on a very busy road. A positive for this hotel is that they will allow a one night stay whereas many of the other properties in the area required a 2 night stay. Next time I am in Charleston I will try to stay somewhere else but I would stay here again if I had to. And last but not least...my room cost over $200 for one night. Because I am familiar with Charleston I expected this but many others woudl feel completely ripped off!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cliff1788
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Called at the Tourist Information Centre on the way in to Charleston, she recommended some hotels but we thought they were a bit pricey. Had a coupon for Days Inn for $99 and you did not have to pay to park which can cost around $12 a day at the other hotels. The Days Inn is in an unbeatable location and from the exterior does not look too bad. However, the place is very grimy and needs renovating urgently. Our room was in a corner on the second floor and although dusty and tatty it was quiet and the bathroom and bedding were clean. I would recommend TBonz restaurant to eat the food was great and the price very reasonable. Diannes diner is attached to the Days Inn and we went for all day breakfast once was not impressed eggs very runny and meagre portions.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsTowers
A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed July 9, 2006

The mildew smell in the room was so bad, with no empathy from the staff at all, the guest had to get another room. So far, after three e-mails being returned there is obviously no remorse on anyone's part but mine for using this service.

While checking into the second hotel, The Meeting Street Inn, which was exceptional, we found out that two other guests had to do the same that week. Wouldn't you think you wouldn't let it ever happen again?????

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 7, 2006

My husband and I are in our early 60s and look forward to traveling to Charleston for business and/or pleasure one to three times a year. I refuse to be embarrassed that we choose to keep going back to this Day's Inn. It may not be as bright and shiny as other choices but the intelligent and helpful staff, the free parking, and especially the location make it an excellent value for the discounted price we generally pay. It is NOT a "typical" Day's Inn" by any means. Our room has always been clean and the air conditioning works great. When we get tired of sightseeing we just stop back by our room for a half hour lie-down. Look at a map and compare rates and convenience. If you are more interested in seeing the city than romance or a Jacuzzi, and if you'd rather spend your bucks at one of the fine restaurants within walking distance, don't turn up your nose at the Meeting Street Day's Inn. I've just booked it for next week.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business