“Bugs in the Room”

Days Inn Charleston Historic District
Ranked #47 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed May 10, 2008

I will start by saying that we stayed at this hotel in April of 2007 and felt that the great location made up for the less than avarage hotel experience. So, we rebooked for this vacation. When we arrived, there was a cockroach in our room and some kind of flea like bugs in our bathtub. I agree with the reviews saying that the location and free parking make this location worth a look, but we were booked in to pay $149 a night. We left and went to a much nicer hotel 1 block on the other side of the market for $179 a night that was also well within the historic district and had free parking. This hotel also had inside halls and a very nice swimming pool. I would recommend that people really do their homework and compare prices before they stay at this Days Inn property. For us, the extra $30 per night at another hotel was money very well spent!

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank Mainetravla
Write a ReviewReviews (2,507)

Reviewed April 28, 2008

My husband and I stayed here 2 nights in April, and we had a wonderful stay! The location of this hotel is perfect! You can park when you get there and never move your car! I always do my research on hotels, and this is by far the most affordable place within walking distance of everything in the historic district!

As for the bad reviews, sure you can find some stains on the carpet and grime in the bathroom, but I was more than happy to live with that instead of paying double the price for another place. If you want an upscale hotel, this is not the place for you! But in a beautiful amazing city like Charleston, who wants to be in their room other than to sleep?

I did not eat at the hotel restaurant so I can't comment on that. I would highly recommend this hotel, and I will stay there the next time we are in Charleston!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tenngal8
Reviewed March 30, 2008

We wanted a convenient hotel in the Historic district that was within walking distance of restaurants, shopping, and the houses and gardens we were touring. This was the least expensive by far. Having passed by it on previous visits, I knew it wasn't anything fancy. It met my expectations reasonable well - it was clean and the staff were competent.

Because of the design (old-style motor lodge with exterior corridors with parking in between wings) noises seemed to echo - so we were woken up several times both nights by fellow travelers slamming car doors and having rowdy conversations in the parking lot. If you want a quieter motel, I would recommend the Best Western King Charles Inn just up the street. Unfortunately, it was sold out for the room type we needed when I booked our reservations. Next time I'll book earlier at the Best Western.

Skip the hotel restaurant - service was poor and the food was disappointing. For an excellent breakfast/lunch choice, try Joseph's which is just down the block near the Gibbes museum. Get there early though - the line is frequently out the door.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank cjohn416
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Ok! I This is not one of the swank area hotels,but it more then makes up for it in location. The rooms are good-not great,but clean and I felt very comfortable. IT IS DEFINATELY NOT A DUMP! I have and will stay here again. We stayed two nights and couponed this for $69 / night-an outright steal. It is located across from the central market and you can walk easily to the beautiful homes and Battery that make Charleston famous. Garabaldi"s Restaurant is only 21/2 blocks away as are many of the other famous eateries. Make sure if you coupon this , get here early 11am to 2pm-it fill up fast(can't be all bad:)

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank guffin
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Great if you're just looking for a crash pad that's semi close to bars/restaurants. We were able to fit four people in comfortably. While nothing was particularly dirty, it definitely wasn't the cleanest hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
4  Thank philly015
Reviewed December 7, 2007

For the price and location we found that this hotel exactly met our needs for two nights. It was clean, quiet, within walking distance to all of old town Charleston and had secure free parking next to the room. If money is no object or you are on an expense account, you can stay elsewhere downtown and pay $300 a night if that is your preference.

After a long drive we decided, based on the menut book in the hotel, to dine at nearby Hymen's Seafood restaurant. This place, which is much larger than it looks from the outside, is living on its reputation and should be avoided. The next day we found that there are numerous other restaurants not in the hotel book that are also within walking distance. All seemed to charge about the same and ranged in cusine from French and Italian to brew pub.

Stayed: November 2007
6  Thank PhilWashingtonDC
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Let me begin by saying that the location was good, but the room conditions was very dirty and stunk. The rooms were congested and the carpets were filthy, you might want to think twice before putting your bare feet down. the bathrooms were dirty as well. It is not worth the money at all. we paid 250+ for two nights and i regret staying there. The place was old and not maintained well. You are better off paying a few more dollars and find another place.

They really need to upgrade the place, while they are charging a lot for that conditon rooms.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank carolinepas