Days Inn Charleston Historic District
Hampton.com
French Quarter Inn(Charleston)
$309
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$129
King Charles Inn(Charleston)
$199
$189
Official Website
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$119
2,591 results
All reviewshistoric districtroom was cleanwithin walking distanceexcellent locationpark your carmeeting streetcan't beat the locationan older hotelcity marketcoffee makerwalked everywhereking streetmicrowavedowntownconveniencebattery
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I had stayed here for a couple of nights many years ago when we visited and we felt it was fine. Nothing fancy by any stretch but it was decent. This time was not the case!

We too had a mix-up with our reservation and when we arrived we were informed our reservation was booked for the 2 previous nights and not the night we arrived and the following night. It was Saturday night of Labor Day and everything was packed with people. We rode all day to get there and didn't have any other option. The man behind the counter said he had one room left (of course) for $189 per night. We had booked for $97 per night so there was a huge price difference. However, we didn't have a choice so we agreed to stay one night and let them know about the 2nd.

We walked into room 116 which immediately smelled of mold and mildew. The a/c unit was blowing dust everywhere as well. The wallpaper was separating from the walls due to the moisture in the room and there were stains on every inch of the carpet, bedding, ceilings, etc. A nightmare to say the least. The next issue was the room was right outside the pool gate and pool. Not our favorite room to ever have but again we were in a bind. My husband went into the bathroom it was soaked from who knows what from the ceiling above the toilet!! That's right the toilet above ours was leaking all over the bathroom below. It was disgusting! We contacted the person at the front desk who said there was no maintenance on site and he would bring towels. That was the solution to put towels on the liquid. He went up to the room above to see if he could stop what was happening. He managed to stop the fluid somewhat but it still dripped up to when we left.

There are laminated signs in the room that boss you around about everything! Your car can be towed, there is a $50 charge for using the safe, just horrible unfriendly type signs.

We decided to just go out and have a bite to eat with drinks. Then come back and go to bed and leave the next morning.

All night long there were idiots out at the pool screaming and yelling until 5 a.m.!!! That pool gate clinked a hundred times if it clinked once. Thankfully I had brought ear plugs so we could get a little sleep.

The next morning we checked out at 8 a.m. How's that for a get-away weekend? The woman at the front desk was very kind and gave me the phone number to talk with the manager.

I dealt with Wyndham Rewards to get my money back for the mishap with the reservation. The hotel never offered, never called, just didn't care at all. It took about 30 days to get it back but we got it. We got charged $199 for the room and never got the $10 back.

All in all the moral of this story is please book somewhere else. I understand price is important and this location is superb but you get what you pay for!! If you don't care if your room is clean, if the service is horrible, if they don't care about your safety or health then by all means book here.

I do have photos of all of the things I have identified. I didn't attach them but would be willing to send them to you if you message me.

I am sending a full letter to the motel/hotel association of Charleston. I would think they would want to know about this place. I would if I worked there.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

First phone call to book we were told that they would not honor our coupon that we had from the Hotel Guide book... another call half an hour later and they accepted it. We booked for 3 days, only to get back to our room the first day to find we had been locked out as they only booked us for one night. In getting that sorted out, the lady at reception said they didn't make our beds as there were personal belongings all over the bed, which there weren't. She was very aggressive and very rude whilst we got THAT sorted out. I woke up the second night to find a huge roach crawling up the wall. There is no breakfast provided, and the staff were not at all friendly or helpful. The ONLY thing this hotel has going for it is that it is right in the middle of Charleston and you can park your car and walk everywhere. That is the ONLY reason I gave it three stars and would stay there again. If there was another choice in that price range, I would take it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family