“Great location, but.......”

Days Inn Charleston Historic District
Ranked #47 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed January 20, 2012

The best thing about this hotel is the location, but for $100/night, the hotel should be better. Do not stay in room 102 because:

1) tile grout in shower was black (a little bleach would do wonders) & the tub needed a scrubbing, something that hasn't been done in many years -- if ever.
2) Water temperature in the showeer fluctuated wildly & the tub faucet dripped incessantly
3) Overall, the room was not very clean
4) The maid was surly: I stopped by the room to pick up something & asked her to wait just a couple of minutes before she cleaned the room, & she stomped off. I know she has a job to do & wants to finish, but sheesh, I really did mean 2 minutes.
5) I needed Wi-fi for work, & this place says they have it in the rooms, but apparently only those rooms on one side of the hotel. When I had problems getting the wi-fi, the front desk said "Oh, it doesn't really work on that side of the hotel." At least they had a so-called business center in the lobby. It was actually more of a closet with a computer, but it sufficed in a pinch.
6) The electronic key was not programmed for the # of days we were there, & on the 2nd day it stopped working, so I went to the front desk to have it re-set. That part was fine, but what scared me is that I wasn't asked for ID, just my room number. I could have been a thief or murderer, but nobody at the desk seemed to care.

Room Tip: Avoid room 102
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ortelius
There are newer reviews for Days Inn Charleston Historic District

Reviewed January 18, 2012

This hotel is just across the street from the Charleston Market and is very convenient to everything downtown. We were able to walk to virtually all the places we wanted to see except for the Fort Sumter Tour and Aquarium. The price is unbeatable too. Parking is free, but very cramped and many times there were no spaces available; however, when you do have to park in a city garage nearby they will reimburse you. The room as clean and had all the amenities as promised, but was somewhat dated. Fridge was so cold it froze our drinks. The bed was very comfortable. If I go for a quick trip again and wanted to do it on the cheap, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Miller1647
Reviewed January 18, 2012

We planned a last minute weekend to Charleston, and this hotel was the only one left in our price range. With the AAA discount and taxes, it came to $120 a night. I suppose for the location, the price was fine, but our room was not in the best shape. Let me start by saying that the outside of hotel is very, very cute, and it is in a great location, within walking distance of many shops, restaurants, and attrractions in the historice district. They also have parking included in your room, which was SOO nice. You only get one parking pass per room, though, so be prepared if you are bringing multiple cars. We ended up leaving one car at the hotel, and then parking the other car at the Battery Park by the water for free. We left it overnight, and it was fine.

When we got in our room, the decor is average, and the room was fine. The fridge was dirty and kind of gross inside, so I cleaned it, but it also was not plugged in properly, so I had to maneuver it and plug it in different outlets to get it started up. We also had a light bulb out. The front desk was swamped when we checked in, so we didn't bother them about it. The staff were friendly and helpful with giving us directions and telling us about the area. We stayed in a room on outside of the hotel, and we heard this really loud noise that seemed to be coming from the parking garage adjacent to the motel, but it eventually stopped! If you are on a budget (like me) need somewhere to stay at the last minute (like me) and don't mind an average room with a little fridge grime, I would recommend the Days Inn!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside of the parking lot; ours was on the outside of the hotel and had more n...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank southerngirl745
Reviewed January 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here b/c we were traveling to Charleston with our dog and the hotel allows dogs in their smoking rooms. We have previously stayed in nicer hotels near Marion Square, but were restricted this time by our dog. The price for the location was great. Unless you hit a deal at one of the nicer places (such as the Best Western a couple of blocks north on Meeting or The Francis Marion), this is probably the best place you are going to get for your money in this area. The room was a little warn, the front desk help wasn't overly enthusiastic- but again, for the price, I was satisfied. Also- we didn't eat at the restaurant connected to the hotel, but when we walked by their breakfast looked great.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AB28512
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We were looking to travel on a budget but at the same time wanted to stay downtown. This motel was clean and worked out for our needs. It could use some maintenance updates (our room had wallpaper peeling off in the bathroom), the shower faucet was iffy (quite often we were caught off-guard when a neighboring room flushed, suddenly too much hot water in shower). The pool was cold!!, we are from New England and are accustom to the cold water of the Atlantic Ocean... this was even colder - following a week of daily temps above normal.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We stayed here Dec. 6th-8th. This hotel is in a great location and parking is free, but those are the only things about it that are any good at all. The rooms have not been taken care of for years. There's mold in the bathroom and the wallpaper is coming off. The faucet in the tub was leaking, probably gallons of water per day. When you shower you have to watch out because it goes from comfortable to freezing cold to scalding hot apparently depending on who else is using what water in other rooms. The pillows were awful. After being in the room for awhile you get used to the smell but when entering there is definitely an unpleasant smell.

This should be a great hotel in a great location, but I can't believe that anyone actually thinks it is clean and nice today. There is a reason that the location is so good and the price is so inexpensive!

Room Tip: Definitely don't take a smoking room. Our friends had their cat with them, which is why we stay...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank BHIguru
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Excellent location. Fantastic and accomadating staff. Great and very clean rooms. Close to everything yet suprisingly quiet. From inside the rooms you can't hear anything outside or from other rooms. The room has everything you could need and more....Lots of very comfortable pillows, large fluffy towels, refreshing soaps and shampoo's, coffee, tea and a secure safe. Great water pressure for a fabulous bath or shower. Very pleaseantly surprising, not what I expected for such a great price. The room was spacious, very comfortable and beyond expectations. Grounds are well maintained and never saw people wandering around that didn't belong there which was surprising for such a downtown location. Don't know how you do it but keep it up and thank you to all the wonderfull staff for making this stay perfect!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo