“Fine for the price”

Ranked #47 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Centerville, Ut
“Fine for the price”
Reviewed November 12, 2007

I visit Charleston for a professional conference during the first week of November every year. The last time I had stayed at this hotel was nine years earlier, before it was renovated. At that time I said "never again" -- the room was shabby (which wasn't a surprise given the price), but what was unacceptable was the plumbing. It was almost impossible to take a shower, because the water pressure was so low and because the water temperature constantly vacillated between scalding hot and freezing cold.

A year or so later I noticed that the hotel had gotten a makeover and was much more attractive on the outside, and I noticed TripAdvisor reviews saying that the rooms were improved as well. So I gave it another shot this year. My room was still pretty worn and tired-looking (paint stains on the carpet, scuffs on the painted surfaces, a dresser drawer with the bottom falling out), but there had been some cosmetic improvements and the room was quite comfortable overall. I can't comment on the heating/cooling system, because I never had to use either during my stay. The shower was much improved, though not perfect. New showerheads and better water pressure made bathing a much more pleasant experience this time -- though the problem of fluctuating temperature is still there, especially during the morning hours when lots of people are showering at once. (When I took a shower in the middle of the day it wasn't nearly as noticeable.)

On the positive side, the price is very reasonable and the location is perfect. The staff was reasonably friendly and helpful, though not outstanding.

• Liked — Location; high-speed internet; fridge/micro
  • Disliked — Room feels shabby and worn-out
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Rick010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
St. Augustine
Reviewed November 7, 2007

After being shocked at the price of some of the other hotels in downtown Charleston in a slow month like November, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Days Inn. Located on Meeting St within convenient walking to the City Market, restaurants, the bayside and shopping, it was a great find. Add to it the fact they had a wonderful king size bed with SIX pillows and I was in heaven. The bed was comfortable and the leather recliner was a godsend for my tired walked out legs. The continental breakfast was so-so. The restaurant on premise was a disappointment though so don't waste your time. The menu sounded most excellent and I had their version of shrimp and grits for breakfast. After having an excellent version at a little diner called Alex's on SR17 that was to die for, this was just plain lame. My husband had the standard eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and said it was pretty tasteless and it is hard to mess up breakfast. But the hotel was perfect. There is a pool on premise but it was too chilly to enjoy as it wasn't heated and the temps were in the 60's while we were there. But we felt perfectly safe walking home from a night out on the town.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Hard to find it as signage wasn't visible. Never did see a
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sherri in Florida
Chesapeake, VA
Reviewed October 13, 2007

We checked in on Monday afternoon and did not move our car until we checked out on Friday morning. The convenience of this motel and the FREE parking make it a great value. I must admit I was a little nervous having read some of the reviews but, all I can say is, some people are VERY picky!!!! Based on the reviews, I packed room deodorizer, antiseptic wipes and bug spray. They never left my suitcase! The beds were clean and comfortable; the bathroom was clean and well stocked. Yes, there was a little bit of mildew on the ceremic tile grout but show me an older bathroom that does not have this problem. Every day when we returned from sightseeing, all of the items we had used were replaced. The staff was friendly and helpful. The on site restaurant, Diana's, had a great variety and the food was good. If we ever return to Charleston (and I hope we do) we will return to the Days Inn Historic District.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank septduo
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed September 5, 2007

This place was the only available hotel in Charleston (and then we learned why...) The only available room was a smoking room (and oh how it stank!). Expedia listed that there were non-smoking rooms available but when we got to the hotel they told us that those rooms were "out of service". We checked into our room and the first thing that we noticed (after the smell) was that the security latch on the door was ripped off as if someone had broken into the room. Taking a shower was another interesting experience.. The light fixture was hanging sideways as if about to fall right down and there were bugs jumping around in it. The room in general was dirty looking with stains and peeling caulk and other such issues.
They also claim to offer free wireless internet but upon check-in we were told that the internet hasn't been working and some of the rooms don't get good reception so we can come to the lobby with our laptop and it will work fine and our room wasn't one of those with the bad reception. Unfortunately, our room didn't get wireless and neither did the lobby. We moved to another hotel the very next morning. The other reviewers were right on about this place...

The one redeeming thing about this hotel was that the staff was nice. The girl at the front desk was very polite and sweet and offered some dining options.

• Liked — The only good thing about this hotel was its location.
  • Disliked — Everything. This place was rotten.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TVJpGrl

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Aiken, SC
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We were in Charleston this past weekend for the Senior PGA at Kiawah. We spent one night at the Historic District Days Inn. We paid the rack rate of $239. I imagine this is somewhat above the usual rate due to the golf tournament and Spoleto. We arrived about 1:30 PM and were told our room was ready (smoking) but if we were willing to wait until 3:00 PM we could have a non smoking room as I had requested when I made the reservations. The desk clerks were very friendly and helpful. Our room (2 dbls.) was adequate and very clean. It would have been nice to have two sinks and two mirrors. The beds were very comfortable and there were sufficient lights, the usual toiletries and coffee items and also a microwave. Parking was sufficient and there is a parking garage around the corner which hotel guests can use (with a charge but the hotel reimburses you). We had breakfast at Diana's, the restaurant located in the hotel. We ordered an omlet to be shared between the two of us and the wait staff was very accomodating. Omlet was good but a little dry. Coffee was good. The waitress and her daughter were very friendly and funny and they gave very good and pleasant service. We felt very lucky to get this reservation as we called only about 3 weeks in advance. The location was great and within walking distance to most things. However, if you plan to eat at the Boathouse (very good - see my review) on East Bay do not plan to walk (especially in heels). Someone told us it was only about 6 blocks - WRONG

Stayed May 2007
Bridgend, South Wales, UK
Reviewed May 12, 2007

Great central location. Helpful staff. Used a voucher from one of the many magazines that can be collected at the tourist centres. $109 for one night for a double bedded room. The usual problem with the shower - difficult to get the temperature just right (but this seems to happen in 9/10 hotels we stay in!)
We were in Room 252 which was on the corner by the main road so was very noisy in the night, however the room was spotlessly clean, great price and free internet and free parking.
Overall I would recommend anyone to stay here - but if you could request a room away from the main road I am sure it would help.

• Stayed April 2007
southeastern US
Reviewed April 24, 2007

This is a very OLD hotel and shows its age. The reports of a mildew problem in the bathrooms are accurate. In our bathroom in looked like the maids really tried to battle it but the ventilation problems just made it a losing battle. And we did have GOOD maid service during our stay.

I think the beds must be brand new. VERY comfortable. Also seemed like new sheets and pillows. The fridge and microwave came in handy. However, both rooms in our party had quite a few maintainance issues. -- like the mildew, TV remote batteries, one fridge struggled to keep cold enough, one HVAC system was a little smelly (needed the filters cleaned).

The parking is limited, however, we always managed to find a space somewhere on the property if not necessarily right by our room. Not a problem for us because we have no walking problems.

The real bargain on this place is the location and the rooms are bigger than the Best Western a few blocks down the street.

The staff was attentive and polite although they were not able to help us out much on tourist information about the city, which I found inexcusable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — maintainance issues.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family