“Excellent Hotel, Wonderful Location But Watch Out for the Voluntary Charity Donation on Your Bill”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District
Ranked #32 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is an excellent hotel. It has a certain Southern charm about it and the staff are wonderful in terms of efficiency and hospitality.

Our room was excellent and probably the most comfortable bed I have slept in for many a year. The TV's (I know this isn't important to many) were state of the art.

But above all it's the location of this hotel that is unbeatable. It is literally in the heart of historic Charleston and therefore almost everything in this “walkable” city is at your doorstep.

One slight niggle - and I have written about this before on Tripadvisor with regard to Hilton. They insist on putting a "voluntary" charity donation onto your invoice. It is only $1 a day I know so for our stay it was $3 but it is the principle for me. If Hilton, corporately or via their shareholders, want to donate to charity that is fine; but don't "volunteer" my money to a cause (no matter how worthy) without asking me first. And unfortunately no one at Hilton told me this was going to happen.

On principle I had it taken off the invoice (I do donate to charity but like to make my own choices) this meant having to go to reception (I would have used the express checkout otherwise) get in a line and then, in front of many other guests, ask for the donation to be removed from my bill and a new bill drawn up which, frankly, is embarrassing.

It left a slightly bad taste in the mouth to an otherwise nice stay.

Hilton - please stop this voluntary donation tactic; or at least tell us personally at check-in that you intend to do this and would we be Ok about it.

4  Thank Stevedunne1
DTreebyHilton, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

On behalf of the entire Team we would like to thank you for your candid review. We are glad to hear that our Doubletree by Hilton was an “Excellent Hotel and Wonderful Location”. I will be sharing your comments with our entire Team so they can hear your comments.
With Charleston full of hospitality choices we are pleased that you choose us and look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Safe travels…

Write a ReviewReviews (2,369)

Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel does have a great location and an old-fashioned feel. The valet service really made our trip. We were traveling with my grandmother, who needs some assistance getting around, and they were so helpful. We loved that they would give us bottles of water as we were leaving for the day, and were always very quick and extremely friendly. Simply fantastic.

Inside the hotel, there's a great courtyard, and every room has a good view. There were some strange (creepy) aspects about the hotel. One elevator was significantly larger than the other, and the hallways were like something out of The Shining. It has to be almost a half mile from one corner of the hotel to the other. Charleston's ghost stories are part of the charm of the city, though, so it all kind of adds to the ambiance.

We had two rooms, one of the king suites and one of the "larger" king suites. HUGE difference in the room's design. Both fantastic rooms and highly recommend, but the different layouts give two great options. If you're traveling with kids, the "larger" room layout would be perfect. If you're on your own, the standard layout would be more comfortable with this fantastic sleeper sofa/chair in the living room that was really comfortable.

The breakfast was very plain compared to many Hiltons and DoubleTrees, but the service was great. Really, the service throughout the hotel was great. There are no in-room movies, and you can't view your receipt from the tv. There's no pool, but you won't even notice with so much to do just by the hotel. The fitness center was not open 24 hours, and the bar service in the evenings was on strange hours as well. There's no dinner restaurant in the hotel, but there are many many restaurants within a couple blocks, and the places the hotel recommend are excellent.

Overall, service, location, and room size are excellent. There's a couple places where the hotel could add some amenities, but nothing major. It was a great stay, and we'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jacob S
DTreebyHilton, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Thank you for your posting and reminding everyone of our numerous amazing attributes that make Doubletree by Hilton such a special place to visit in Charleston. As you mention, our eager staff assist with making memories for our guests on a daily basis with a genuine sense of pride and hospitality not found in many properties. I will be sharing your comments and praise with our Team so they can share in the gracious review. We look forward to your next visit and safe travels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Hotel is such a great location to get around the city. Right next to the market and local restaurants. Staff was very accomodating and had excellent suggestions on where to eat and what to do around town. Room was clean and spacious.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

On behalf of the entire team… “Fantastic Location” is an excellent summation of your recent visit and we Thank You! Our courteous and professional staff goes out of their way to ensure guest satisfaction is consistently offered to everyone that comes through our doors….and it appears you had the pleasure of witnessing our team in action during your groups visit.
We hope to have another opportunity to serve your hospitality needs in the near future. Safe travels…

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The hotel is right across from the market, one block from Meeting. The location was perfect. We walked everywhere. Check-in was a breeze. There are two parts to the hotel. There are a bunch of rooms in the main hotel (elevators near check-in) and then there are more rooms through a courtyard. My room was in the other part of the hotel. Nice and clean. My boss wasn't happy about his room in the main part of the hotel - said it was dirty and he got a new room.

The walls are a bit thin but the fan helps. We have a meeting at the hotel and the staff was very nice and very efficient.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank comingtoyourcity
DTreebyHilton, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for your candid review of our hotel and its location to a number of attractions. I will be sharing your comments with our Team so they can learn from your comments.
One point of concern was your comment referencing the cleanliness of your boss’s room. I have reviewed your comments with our housekeeping Team to ensure that this does not happen again. Our goal is to ensure each and every guest is fully satisfied with all aspects of their stay and we are sorry we did not meet their expectations.

We look forward to your return visit to Charleston and hope you will choose us again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

If you're looking for luxury accommodations this isn't the place but it is a nice, clean hotel in a great location for a fair price. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Walking distance to many restaurants and shops. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Ashlee1796

We're so glad you enjoyed the location and it's excellent news to hear that our housekeeping team's efforts in cleanliness were right on point. We appreciate your feedback and will share your comments with our Team so they can read your praise as well. Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a terrific hotel, the location is the best. Ate at three restaurants near by. The Market place and carriage rides are right there. Also the free trolley is at the corner. Room was quite and nice. Great hotel in Charleston S.C. breakfast was good also had those southern grits.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

On behalf of the entire team… “Great Hotel” is a wonderful summation of your recent visit and we Thank You! Our courteous and professional staff goes out of their way to ensure guest satisfaction is consistently offered to everyone that comes through our doors….and it appears you had the pleasure of witnessing our team in action. I will be sharing your comments with our Team so they can hear your praise as well.
Upon your next visit to Charleston we hope you will choose the Doubletree by Hilton again.
Safe travels…

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Was in Charleston at the Doubletree for a conference. Facilities were good. Room was very comfortable. Staff was extremely helpful. I asked for a room change, since I was next to the elevator and needed to go to sleep early. Even though they were fully booked, they managed to find me another room. The housekeeping staff also helped me with a couple of special requests quickly and without complaint. And when I left my glasses in my car, the valet ran to my car, found them, and returned them to me within minutes.

The market is across the street and there's lots to see and do within walking distance. I didn't need my car until I was ready to leave.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Donna8708
DTreebyHilton, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for your posting and reminding everyone of our numerous amazing attributes that make Doubletree by Hilton such a special place to visit in Charleston. As you mention, our eager staff assist with making memories for our guests on a daily basis with a genuine sense of pride and hospitality not found in many properties. We look forward to your next visit.