After a week of traveling we decided to splurge and stay at the Doubletree in the heart of the Historic District in downtown Charleston. We had recently stayed at a Doubletree in Fayetteville NC and were more than pleased so we expected the same wonderful experience. We started off great. The young man who took our bags, registered our car for valet parking, and brought us to our room was pleasant and helpful with dining suggestions as well. Things went down hill from here. At registration we were assigned a first floor room, we requested a QUIET room on an upper floor and were reassigned a room on the second floor (hotel has 5 floors). We were also told if we decided to leave early (reservation was for 2 nights) we would be charged 50% for doing so. Maybe this was an omen? Our quiet room was anything but, with people talking outside on the street our room at 10:30 and again at midnight, the street cleaner sweeping the street outside during the night and at 7AM the septic truck pumping outside our window, and a trash truck at 8:15. So much for a decent nights sleep.
To add insult to injury, we asked to upgrade our reservation to include the breakfast package. Since we booked on line the upgrade price on the website was $20.00 for two and the hotel was $30.00 for two. We asked if they would honor their web price and when the receptionist asked the manager, Mr Valentine, if she could do this his answer was, " No, they should have done it when they booked the reservation on line". Not the greatest customer service. We decided to eat elsewhere.
The hotel is clean and nicely appointed, however the management needs some lessons in customer relations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located overlooking the Charleston City Market in the heart of Charleston's Historic District, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites offers the perfect combination of incredible location, guest room size, Southern hospitality, and amenities. DoubleTree Charleston Historic District is surrounded by award-winning restaurants, including Hank's Seafood and Brasserie Gigi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Odigeo, Hotwire, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Suites Charleston - Historic District reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Hotel Charleston
- Doubletree Historic District