“Unpleasantly Surprised!”

Courtyard Charleston Waterfront
Ranked #45 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 26, 2009

First, let me say that I stay at Marriott hotels whenever I can and am a Gold Rewards member. I was in Charleston to visit family and chose the waterfront because of location and I was certain it would be upgraded as most other Marriott hotels througout the US. The exterior and main lobby areas were well appointed and the customer service is about as good as I've experienced at any Marriott property. Check in was very smooth. The lobby, lounge area, and restaurant were all exceptionally clean and fresh looking. The rooms, however, are a step back into time. The bedding is typical Marriott - exceptionally comfortable. The decor, carpet, etc. were just unattractive and uncomfortable. It smelled like a very old home with wood paneling and carpet that's over 20 years old. It felt damp. I know-, I know ----who spends time in the room anyway?!?! This place needs a major room upgrade ASAP. Change the carpet, fresh paint, flat screen TVs, contemporary cabinetry, etc. It felt like I was in an interstate motel and not a Marriott guest room. Because of the dampness in the room, I had a sore throat each morning. While the customer service was excellent, the breakfast buffet reasonably prices and very tasty, and the view of the harbor simply the best, I would probably not stay here on future trips to Charleston unless no other options are available. Very disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank bogeyboi

Reviewed July 26, 2009

The location of the hotel is wonderful and the views and lobby are lovely. Our room had issues, a closet door was missing, the air conditioner didn't keep the room cool and the carpets were not clean. This hotel needs some serious upkeep. Floors were dirty walls had stains on them, etc., not at all what I expected from a Marriott property. You can see the office from the checkin desk very dirty and cluttered in full view of the guests.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Yellowkitty
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I often stay at this hotel given its location to the Medical University where I often visit on business. The attraction here is the view of the Ashley River harbor, particularly at sunset on the veranda by the bar. Otherwise, typical Courtyard. Despite my repeat business, their quoted rate varies depending on who I talk to but I can usually get a room for $100 to $110/night (if lucky you view the harbor and maybe even get a balcony) versus the official $129 - 149/night, although I can Priceline it at $75 (but you will view the freeway). The staff is polite and businesslike. The rooms are normal to slightly larger than normal depending on where they put you. These prices do NOT include breakfast, so add another $12. Parking is free, a nice treat in downtown Charleston. At this location, it will be tough for older folks or families to walk anywhere, so keep that in mind: you will need to drive to the historic area. The adventurous can walk the one mile or so along the water, but heavy traffic will be an issue for the first 1/4 mile. I often jog or walk the path but dread the start.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2009

This hotel was very nice. Sits right on the water near the marina. It's a little far from downtown so be warned if you do not want to have to drive to get to all of the good stuff (and thus pay for parking). Parking at the hotel was free though so that's a plus. Rooms were nice and comfy.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed at this same hotel last July and our experience both times was exceptional. It is a beautiful hotel w/beautiful surroundings and a marvelous staff. We had a room w/a view of the marina and it was very relaxing. I really don't have any negative comments to make about this location, but if I had to come up w/one I would like for them to offer a continental breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We stayed five nights here and really enjoyed the hotel. The hotel is clean and the staff is very nice. Eugene in the breakfast area is a great employee and VERY hard working. We were there with three children and they had a great time in the pool. The balcony from our room was a nice place to watch boats going in and out of the harbor.
We only encountered a problem with housekeeping. They only showed up twice out of our five days. It wasn't a big problem because the front desk got us all necessary items, it just was a little inconvenient.
The pulling into and out of the hotel was a little bit of pain, but we always had free shaded parking in the garage, which kept the car out of the sun. We liked the security of having to use your room key to get the elevator to work.
We had a great room with two beds and a pull out couch. There was a microwave and a small fridge and tons of counter space. The only laundry facilities are on the second floor and for the whole hotel there are only two washer and dyers. Although they do give you FREE boxes of detergent and it is only $1 to wash and $1 to dry.
All in all we really enjoyed our trip to Charleston and when we return I would definitely book this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2009

This Marriott needs a bit more help with the room we (my fiance) and I stayed in. While the hotel has a beautiful lobby and poolside, our room was not that great. We had a non working desklamp, an alarm clock that had an issue with the volume and there was an obvious issue with the shower head. There must have been a plumbing problem some time ago with the room above. The ceiling above the shower head had been damaged but minor work had been done to repair a hole. The bathtub faucet still had not been pushed back in and fitted properly. I hope these issues was related to this room only! Staff was friendly. Breakfast was ok but hard to find the person whom you could give your custom egg order too so we ended up doing the buffet to save time. I would probably stay here again for the value and location but I would make sure I did not get room 117.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple