Courtyard Charleston Waterfront
Average 3/5
Wentworth Mansion(Charleston)
Excellent 5/5
Very Good 4/5
All reviewseddie mcbrideashley riverhistoric districtlockwood drivefire pithotel shuttlerocking chairswater viewshuttle servicepool areanice poolclose to downtowncorner roomfront desk stafffree parkingvery nice hotelwould stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Why do they build hotels on the waterfront with windows that do not open? We got to Charleston Saturday morning and knew it was too early to check in so we went out to brunch. When we arrived at the hotel at 1:30 pm the front desk staff was not welcoming and basically told us to go away for an hour. When we returned they tried to tell us no rooms were ready but finally put us in room 248.
We paid for an "ocean view" room but in room 248 the view is of the elevator tower.Do not accept this room if you want a view!
On Tuesday, despite the fact that we were out of the room from 9 to 12:30 and then from 2 -4 our room was never cleaned - gross!
My husband is a Marriott premiere member so we generally expect, and get, better service.

• Stayed: April 2014
MarkThomasGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2014

Dear sjkyo & Family, thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent visit to historic Charleston. We were pleased to have you as our guest and are especially grateful for your business given the many hotel choices available to you. Thank you very much for taking time to report your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies. We work tirelessly to ensure a clean and well maintained property, with everything in good working order and high service levels. You have aided in our efforts by reporting your findings. We will work with our staff to make certain your situation is not repeated. Thank you for staying with us and helping to improve our property. Without your valuable input, we may not have realized this opportunity for improvement existed. Thank you again.

Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We were disappointed with the accomodations considering how much we paid per night. Room was big but found the bed to be very uncomfortable. The bathroom was very small and was difficult to close door once you were in it. The view however was quite lovely and our room featured a small balcony which was nice. Both days of our stay we had to track down the maid to come and make up the room and in fact one day I actually did it myself after coming back from a long day out to an unmade room. Had to ask twice for clean towels as well. Not what I expected for $399 a night.

Did not eat at the on site restaurant and again at what we were paying per night, you would think breakfast would be included.

The grounds were nice with a big deck with comfortable seating, nice pool and even a fire pit.

There was a shuttle to take you downtown but again there was a fee to use the service. Both covered and uncovered parking available with elevator service frim the garage but parking was tight being it was a weekend.

Overall I would have to say that for the price we paid, was definitely not worth it and I would not stay again as there are plenty of hotels in the area that are less expensive and closer ti downtown.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear sakuod59 & Family, thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent visit to historic Charleston. Please accept my sincere apologizes that your stay did not meet your expectations. We work tirelessly to ensure a clean and well maintained property, with everything in good working order and you have aided in our efforts. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in April. We loved it! We walked to parts of Charleston we had never seen and enjoyed that very much. And yes you can walk to Charleston. Staff was great, check in and check out so easy.

We had a harbor view room and really enjoyed the sunsets. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Get a harbor view. Other side faces a busy highway.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
MarkThomasGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Greetings from the Waterfront Beachlover50, thank you for selecting our hotel for your visit to Charleston. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and most thankful that you “Would stay there again.” This confirms are hard work and we sincerely appreciate your feedback. Thank you as well for mentioning the “Staff was great.” Thanks for taking time to write about your visit. Travel Safe!

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Nice sized room. A little more upscale from most Courtyard properties I've seen and stayed at. Location is in a good spot although the Hilton Garden Inn next door has taken a great part of their waterfront view. Many restaurants within walking distance. Lots of parking.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
MarkThomasGM, General Manager at Courtyard Charleston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Greetings from the Waterfront smblackwell1, thank you for taking time to write about your experience at our hotel. We are pleased to know you found the hotel “more upscale from most Courtyard properties.” We work hard every day to maintain our hotel and your critique validates our ongoing efforts. Thank you for confirming what we do right. Travel Safe!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I know that title is funny, but I didn't know how else to say it succinctly. The room that we stayed in faced the pool area, with a view out toward the Ashley River. The layout of the room was really functional and practical for any guest, business or personal, and we really enjoyed the stay. The only things that stood out to me was the odd humidity level to our room. We kept trying to change the a/c to where it would keep the room less humid but not frigid, but finally settled with humid since it wasn't hot out. The room was not cool when we walked in (expected, due to saving on costs), but the a/c unit works quickly to cool the room.
When my hubby and I arrived for our anniversary getaway, we walked onto the premises during a warm day and the pool area was active. It felt fun and we enjoyed the extra "fanciness" of a more expensive hotel (as opposed to staying with our young kids in a cheaper hotel). The breakfast area was active, but not too busy. The breakfast food options were fantastic, even if we hadn't done the buffet. We chose the buffet just because that's what we were in the mood for, but the more continental side had cereal, fruit, yogurt, pastries and breads, along with Krispy Kreme donuts. Oh. Ya.
We had a couple of personal issues, but really, the room and layout was great. We could watch tv from the loveseat, desk, or couch because it was on a slider and would angle. The bathroom door seemed awkward with how it made you walk into the room, but after trying to think through how it could be better, I'm not sure it would've made any more sense to do it differently unless it was a pocket door.
When we walked into the room, there was a little area that was lit up with flowers (permanent decor, not a gift) and chocolates, and the room is modern in decor. It was fun. There was a fridge and microwave in two separate compartments in the dresser setup, so they were hidden. Also, there was an extra blanket and pillow in a zipped storage bag in a dresser drawer, which I thought was really nice - that they put it in the bag, that is.
A personal issue (so ignore if you want) is that I don't like being cold or to have air blowing right on me, so because the unit blows air fairly directly into the room, it bothered me to have the a/c on, so we just cooled the room then left the fan part on. The fan wasn't as intense as when the a/c was on. Now, if it had just been my husband staying there, I think he would've been just fine with the a/c "blasting away". ;)
Again, a personal issue, EVERY morning at around the same time, maybe about 6/7 am, the fan would just turn off. On it's own. Although it was set to "stay on". It was like an alarm clock because when the fan noise turned off, we woke up. I couldn't go back to sleep afterward either time because the first time I couldn't figure out what had happened to wake me up, then the next morning I was too irritated to get out of bed and turn it on. I don't know if it has a timer on it, to save on power, or what, but I wasn't happy about not getting to sleep in on our getaway.
All in all, it was a fun getaway gift to enjoy and we'd stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want a full waterfront view, and not a pool view, you'll have to ask for that at reservation, assuming you're not using a deal that limits your booking options. I think they call them premium rooms, and there are only about 3 or so of them. Half are pool/river view rooms, and the others are city view, from what I can tell.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Amy D & Family, thank you for posting so much information about your experience at our hotel. We are pleased to know you had a great stay. We are especially honored to have played a role in making your anniversary special. Please visit again soon. Travel Safe!