Francis Marion Hotel
King Charles Inn(Charleston)
$199
$189
Official Website
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$119
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$129
Travelocity
3,183 results
All reviewsswamp foxhistoric hotelking streetan older hotelwithin walking distancefarmers marketsmall bathroomchocolate covered strawberriesbeautiful lobbycorner roombell staffdowntown charlestonsouthern charmperfect locationbed was very comfortableparking garagefree trolley
Reviewed May 20, 2006

I made advanced reservation for a deluxe room with a city view. I got a tiny room with a view of the parking deck. The bath was covered with mold and mildew. There were roaches in the room. The staff was rude and unhelpful. The parking miserable. I would never stay at this dump again.

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank land traveler
Reviewed May 16, 2006

For a historic hotel, the Francis Marion is an excellent choice. Positive points include clean rooms, comfy beds, first rate maid service, attentive hotel staff, excellent quality & taste of food, wireless Internet in rooms, location is within walking distance of shopping & restaurants.

Negatives are the lack of mini-fridge or minibar, small TV - 19", teeny bathroom, no vanity (just a small glass shelf) and an archaic toilet that didn't flush properly. With a few cosmetic and fixture updates, this hotel could be a 5 out of 5!

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank dezertprincess
Reviewed April 17, 2006

After reading some pretty negative reviews of the Francis Marion, I had my doubts about staying there, but I was pleasantly surprised. The only complaint I have is the small bathroom, but that's what is to be expected in historic hotels. You can request a room with 2 bathrooms as they do have those as we found out. Our requests for service were handled promptly. The hotel food was very good. The location is great.
I would gladly stay there again.

A recent traveler to Charleston

1  Thank lala0772
A TripAdvisor Member
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed April 17, 2006

Our family of three had a terrific three day stay at the Francis Marion, an elegant older hotel with a beautiful lobby and very comfortable rooms. We had a lovely suite with a beautiful view of the city. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Great location. You can walk to everthing.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed April 16, 2006

Despite the mixed reviews, my husband and I decided to give this hotel a visit. We were suprised at how nice it was. The lobby is beautiful. The hotel is in the heart of shopping, dining, etc. There is a club across the street, but it didn't interfere with us. We parked our car and never got it again until we left. We were able to walk just about everywhere we wanted to go. The room was very cozy. We did upgrade to a king deluxe, and had plenty of room.

The bathroom....very small, which we knew going in. The only complaint I have with the bathroom is the low water pressure in the toilet. It wasn't strong enough to take everything down.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this type of room to someone else.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member