Francis Marion Hotel
$249
  • Pool
$439
  • Pool
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$249
  • Restaurant
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$323
$279
$359
$230
$219
French Quarter Inn(Charleston)
$349
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$129
$218
$199
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$124
3,154 results
All reviewsswamp foxhistoric hotelking streetan older hotelwithin walking distancefarmers marketsmall bathroomchocolate covered strawberriesbeautiful lobbycorner roombell staffdowntown charlestonsouthern charmperfect locationbed was very comfortableparking garagefree trolley
FilterAll languages
A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed March 28, 2006

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Francis Marion and was pleasantly surprised. It is an elegant old hotel, within walking distance to all that Charleston has to offer. The bargain I received getting this hotel on priceline is unbeatable.

• Stayed: March 2006
Reviewed March 21, 2006

Reviewers seem to love it or hate it.
I asked for a quiet room, so I got a room away from street-side, facing the combined might & noise of the conference facility's airconditioning.
Given this, the beds did not seem all that comfortable.
Others rave about the lobby: ordinary, difficult, steps everywhere to the street.
Others rave about the service: Difficult, hardly helpful.
Business centre: Small, very small, closed at night.
Hotel: overpriced ( as in OVERPRICED)
It was not terible, but I'll look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2006

Just returned from a short 2 day stay at the Francis Marion. We arrived early but the front desk was very gracious and checked us in. We got an excellent room on the 10th floor with a great view of the historic district. The location is excellent within easy walking distance of everything, so we did not rent a car. The staff was extremely nice and helpful, from the front desk to the concierge. The hotel lobby is beautiful but like many older hotels our room was not large, but was very comfortable, including the bed. My wife and I would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Grand Rapids,MI
Reviewed December 27, 2005

The hotel was sparkling clean, the beds are comfortable, and the decor is Colonial Charleston. The lobby is beautiful. And Although our room was small, I noticed across the hall rooms under construction. I spoke with one of the workmen, who said the way too big suites were being scaled down, and the smaller rooms enlarged by combining them. We were pleased with the service, and the people went out of their way to be friendly.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 14, 2005

My review is very simple: Stay in the swamp- it will be quieter, tastier, and more spacious.

Regarding "quieter", you can hear your neighbors’ conversations, movements and intimate activity.

Regarding “tastier”, we received moldy fruit salad on our first day. I don’t know why we tried again, perhaps the devil-may-care attitude of the Lowcountry, so we ordered some breakfast the next morning. We returned the breakfast because, you see, the eggs had slithered off the plate because the whole meal was served with a delicious soupy underlayer of grease.

Regarding “more spacious”, the rooms are quaintly called “European” in style. Nay, fellow traveler, unless the hotel is referring to the Europe of leprechauns and oompa-loompas, adult humans do not fit in these rooms. I was told that the rooms did come in varying sizes and larger rooms existed but were occupied. However, the rooms that I did visit (we were there for a conference and the guest compared rooms) ranged in size from un-navigable to petite.

One extra we did receive: our tiny room did come with a fungus-lined wall (and weren’t even charged for such pampering ).

8  Thank qabal