Francis Marion Hotel
$364
  • Pool
$258
  • Pool
King Charles Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$288
$247
$229
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
The Vendue Charleston's Art Hotel(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$259
  • Restaurant
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$129
$239
$209
$236
$197
Doubletree.com
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$139
$129
HIExpress.com
Indigo Inn(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$224
3,148 results
All reviewsswamp foxhistoric hotelking streetan older hotelwithin walking distancefarmers marketsmall bathroomchocolate covered strawberriesbeautiful lobbycorner roombell staffdowntown charlestonsouthern charmperfect locationbed was very comfortableparking garagefree trolley
FilterAll languages
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed July 1, 2005

Several years ago, I stayed at the Francis Marion with my parents.
This is the second time that I have had a chance to visit the Francis Marion Hotel since then. I was in Charleston for a teachers' conference. Three of us went out to eat in Charleston. The person driving had a poor sense of direction. We enjoyed scenic Charleston as we rode around lost. It was the Francis Marion that guided us back to where we needed to be just like the North Star. The meals such as deviled crab and eggs for breakfast were delicious. The pecan pancakes were, too. The lady in the gift shop was pleasant. The clerk at the front desk and the readable map were helpful and user friendly. I have always enjoyed my visits to the Francis Marion and highly recommend this landmark hotel.

Reviewed June 19, 2005

Don't ask me how this hotel got a three star rating, because it definitly fell short of my expectations. I should have known from the start that this was not going to be a pleasant experience when we asked for information about parking, and the bellhop completely ignored us.

Then, when we checked in, the man at the front desk told us that we could not get a king bed, despite the fact that we had made our reservations a month in advance.

Our room, in my opinion, only had one positive....the view of the city. We had an 11th floor room, and I will admit that the view was lovely. However, our room was small, not all of the buttons on the phone worked, closet space was small, and the bathroom was TINY! I'm not expecting the Hilton or anything, but for $150 a night, I was expecting better. I was also expecting a room that didn't have wallpaper peeling off the wall or ratty carpet.

Then, the cherry on the cake, was our lousy TV service. For our entire stay, we could not get a reception on the lower numbered channels....which is upsetting for a traveler because this means you can't even get the weather channel. For two days straight we had repairmen in and out of the room. Bottom line, if my wife and I wanted to come back to the room for some privacy or to rest a little during the day....forget about it (when there's a heat index of 105, you needed to rest in the day). In fact. one day, we were told that we were going to get a new TV put in our room. We spent several hours out and about town just to make sure that the maintenance man had plenty of time to take care of this. Surely enough, when we came back, nothing was done. The only bright spot of the maintenance crew was Lee. He was helpeful, knowledgeable, and explained what was happening. He also gave us some great info about the town, about restuarants, and about the beaches of the islands of Charleston. Basically, he was not only a repairman, but a walking concierge. Everyone else in his department, as far as I'm concerned, should seek other employment.

For our trouble with the TV, we were told that we would be comp'd by being given a free breakfast coupon that the bellhop would run up to our room. Sure enough, no coupon.

The Marion's location isn't the cream of the crop either. It's more like on the outskirts of the historic district than in the heart of it.

Charleston is a beautiful city. Plenty of attractions, historic buildings, and beach life nearby. But the Francis Marion is not one of those bright spots. I definitly will not be spending my money on this royal dog house again.

• Stayed: June 2005
5  Thank williams_s
Reviewed June 16, 2005

I am writing this as I am sitting in my room on the last day of our stay here at the Francis Marion. This is an old hotel that was abandoned recently by the Westin and for good reason. It is showing its age. I am looking around the small cramped room that we are in and the wallpaper is literally peeling off of the walls. The bathroom is small and the toliet has made non stop very loud gurgling sounds during our entire stay. The TV is stuck in the side of the room with no good viewing angle. The wireless internet is hard to connect through. For the first two days as soon as we stepped off of the elevator, there were chairs and tables stacked in the hallway that no one cared or bothered to move out of the way. The room is claustrophobic with little storage space. You can make do if you have to for a couple nights, but why stay here when there are so many other great choices in this town? We booked late and had little choice of places to lay our heads, but will never stay here again. I travel regularly for business and this is not an A class hotel by any means. On a positive note, the hotel is only two blocks from a great new Charleston restaurant, 39 Rue du Jean on John Street. Go there, hang out, have a cool glass of wine and get out of your depressing room at the Francis Marion!

• Stayed: June 2005
11  Thank MJP-ATL
Reviewed May 27, 2005

My wife and I stayed at the Francis Marion from Monday, May 16 through Thursday, May 19. We had an amazing time and plan to go back again. Here are the highlights:

* As soon as we excited our cab in front of the hotel, we were greeted by a Francis Marion Bellman. He stayed with us through the check-in process and brought our bags up to our 11th floor room.

* Our room was amazing, large King bed, 360 view of Charleston Harbor & Charleston. And for the emotional crowd, no the bathroom was not small. It was the perfect size for two people in it at the same time.

* Any request we had while we stayed at the Francis Marion was always met with a- YES. They even held on to our luggage on our day of checkout, this allowed us to enjoy our last day Charleston, without worrying about our flight later that afternoon.

* The location is perfect, across the street from Marion Square park and at the mouth of King Street with it's trendy shopping & restaurants.

Conclusion-

You will not be disappointed by investing your time or money at the Francis Marion Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Greenville, SC
Reviewed April 19, 2005

Do not stay here. Do not believe the pictures on the website. Sure, the front lobby is attractive, but the rooms are tiny. The bathrooms are the size of broom closets. The windows are absurdly small (they have the nerve to advertise "spectacular views." Also, the hotel is on the outskirts of the "good" part of town. Walk a couple of blocks in the wrong direction, and you had better be armed.

To make the entire experience worse, it turns out that they only have a part-time concierge. My party and I stayed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. But the hotel had no concierge service on Monday or Tuesday at all. When I complained, the hotel's response was, "sorry...but, our front desk pitches in when our concierge is away." (you try planning a day's worth of events with a line of people behind you)

If you want a regal hotel experience, I suggest something like Charleston Place.

• Stayed: April 2005