“A Nice Relaxing Stay”

Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Illinois
“A Nice Relaxing Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

We spent 3 nights at the Francis Marion. The staff, from the desk personnel to the valets, were extremely courteous and helpful, and we cannot say enough good things about the hotel concierge. We also enjoyed a light late dinner at the Swamp Fox restaurant in the hotel - the best Shrimp & Grits appetizer during our entire trip. Due to a elevator problem, checking out that last morning was quite a challenge as we had to carry everything down from the 5th floor, which was better than those who stayed yet higher in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2014
I'm so happy to hear that the staff made you feel comfortable and taken care of on your recent visit! Thanks for letting us know what you thought of your stay, and I'm sorry that the elevator problems inconvenienced your check-out. We are in the process of modernizing our service elevator, which will be complete in another two weeks. There is never a good time to complete repairs on our elevators, but I am sorry it impacted your stay. I hope that you'll be able to return to us the next time you're in Charleston, and I wish you the best!

Safe travels,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

This hotel and it's staff are the epitome of southern hospitality. The rooms are comfy and the view from the higher floors is spectacular. The staff calls you by name and is extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel is centrally located to most of the area attractions. We had a wonderful time and will stay at the Francis Marion again.

• Stayed July 2014
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
It's wonderful to hear that you've been impressed with your recent stay! Thanks very much for reaching out about your experience, and I hope that you'll be able to return soon. Wishing you safe travels in the meantime!

All the best,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

The front desk staff at the Francis Marion was very helpful in providing suggestions for activities in the surrounding area. The hotel is very close to shopping, restaurants, and the historic district. The view from the 11 floor was great!

Room Tip: We stayed on an upper floor and had a great view of the Battery, and Fort Sumter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It's wonderful to hear that the staff was so helpful on your visit, Lori! Thanks for reaching out about your stay, and I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in Charleston.

Best wishes,
Easley, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

Hotel is in an excellent location. The view from room 212 is nice, room is located at front of hotel and allows a view of King street and the waterfront park. Good deal for the price. Within walking distance to downtown and College of Charleston. Bell Staff is Excellent very friendly and never allowed me to open the door. Rooms are dated but clean. If I was the owner of the hotel I would at the very least update the bathrooms. Overall satisfied with my stay and loved the location. I would stay here again. Eat at Swamp Fox if you get the chance.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
It's great to hear from you. Thanks for letting me know what you thought of your recent stay, and I hope that we'll be able to give you that excellent experience that you're looking for in the future. Hope your trip home went smoothly!

All the best,
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

We moved our Daughter into College of Charleston this weekend and found the location of this Hotel to be outstanding. Although we had a confirmed room with a king or 2 queens beds, we were surprised to find only one queen bed in our room, which was very small with an even smaller bathroom. Overall, the hotel was nice, clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. Would stay here again.

Stayed August 2014
I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, Susan. It's disappointing to hear that we didn't completely wow you, but it's helpful to hear where we can look to making improvements. Thanks for reaching out, and our team can't wait to give you an even better experience in the future!

Take care,
Columbia, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

My family stayed at the Francis Marion in early August and had a wonderful time. This was a last minute idea to take a quick mini-vacation before school starts back. We stayed for 2 nights and loved every minute of our trip. And there is a Starbucks practically in the hotel.

The Francis Marion is a charming hotel in a great location. I had read other reviews about the small bathrooms and saw a tip to request a room with 2 baths. They were able to accommodate that request. It was nice to have 2 bathrooms. The bathrooms are small...but not bad enough that we would have been miserable without the extra. This is an older hotel but it is very well maintained. The room was large enough and we had a beautiful view of the park, bridge, and bay from the 6th floor. I think any room overlooking the park will have a nice view, even the lower floors. The beds were very comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and showed perfect Southern hospitality. There are plenty of attractions within walking distance (or a free trolley ride away) and there are even more within a 10 minute drive.

For this trip, I booked the 'Cool Family Getaway' package offered by the hotel. I'm not usually a 'package' kind of person but this turned out to be a great bargain. It included tickets for 2 different attractions (you can choose from 5), free breakfast buffet every morning (not a continental breakfast), and free ice cream every day. For my family of 3, it really made it economical to stay here and would have been even more so if we had 2 kids (it's good for up to 4 people).

My only complaint is about the reservation person(s). First of all, I wanted to book my reservation directly with a real person. It took about 4 calls over 2 days to catch this person in the office. After booking the reservation, I was told I would receive a confirmation email. I did not. I had the confirmation number and it wasn't a problem but still...if you say you're going to send it, send it. Then when we checked in, we were supposed to have vouchers for the breakfast buffet and daily ice cream. The reservation person had locked them in a safe that could not be opened until he/she arrived the next morning. The front desk staff handled that for us by notifying the restaurant so it was not a problem for us at all. Still...do your job so others don't have to cover for you.

We are all looking forward to staying at the Francis Marion in the future. We didn't have time to do everything we wanted during that trip and are already making plans to return for my son's birthday so we can do the Yorktown and Fort Sumter tours.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Park side. Room 608 was great for my family of 3. The "Cool Family Getawa...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Wow, your review is very much appreciated! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such detail about your family's recent trip with us. I'm happy that we were able to accommodate all of your needs while staying with us, and I appreciate the feedback when making reservations. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and our team can't wait to see you again soon!

Safe travels,
Fayetteville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

You can't beat this location. It's walking to distance to everything great in this historic city. And the staff -- the front desk staff is amazing. They are friendly and welcoming. They also have really great suggestions and ideas from where to eat breakfast, a great running route, which tour company to use, where to get a healthy bite to eat, and where to go for a former dinner to treat yourself.
The rooms are a little smaller than you might expect, but there rest of this hotel makes that so worth it. Great hotel in a fun city.

• Stayed July 2014
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Glad to hear that you enjoyed walking to a variety of sights in Charleston from our hotel. I'm also flattered that you were pleased with the front desk staff, and it's great that they were able to accommodate any needs or questions that you had. Thanks for your kind words, and we'll see you again!

Best wishes,