“Great hotel in centre of town”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
London
“Great hotel in centre of town”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

Valet parking which was great. Friendly staff. Tenth floor room with great views over city. Big comfortable beds - bathroom a bit small. Perfect location for king st and surrounding historic district - walking distant everywhere. Starbucks downstairs. Good price for $200 a night.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ross7979
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Thanks for spreading the word about us! I'm thrilled that you were equally impressed with our building and our location. Hope to have you back next time you're in Charleston!

'Til then,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I had never been in Charleston before and had very little time between business engagements. Coming in cold and tired, I wasn't happy with the choice of room (don't like that pesky ice machine)! Management bent over backward to find me a great room - instead of fobbing me off on another room, the head clerk personally escorted me (and luggage) to 2 other rooms before finding one that was perfect, and larger, for the same cost. The next morning, that same staff member gave me his personal recommendation about the coolest way to spend an hour walking in Charleston to get the flavor of the city.... and it was spot-on. the hotel staff could not have been more gracious and the room itself was a delight.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the ice machine. Higher floors have prettier views.
1 Thank LilaMom028
I'm so glad we had the opportunity to properly introduce you to Charleston! Thanks for letting us know the first room we put you in wasn't quite what you'd hoped for; we're always willing to work with our guests to make sure they're completely comfortable. The rest of the team will be just as thrilled with your recommendation as I am!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have stayed out several historic hotels on the East Coast and this was one of our favorites. Great location, spacious rooms that were immaculate (even though the bathrooms are small), welcoming and knowledgeable staff. The Swamp Fox was the best breakfast buffet we had on our five state tour. We loved Charleston and this hotel!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with this location. Even though the hotel is a little expensive it is charmin...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chasedesign
One of your favorite historic hotels on the East Coast? Consider my day made! The fact that you were so blown away by our breakfast buffet is just the icing on the cake. I hope you'll stay with us again soon!

Until next time,
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Recently I brought my first group to The Francis Marion for a three day conference. I couldn't be happier. Even with some last minute changes, everyone was friendly, helpful and quick. Caroline Bean was a pleasure to work with as well as the whole conference services team. Sharon in banquets is WONDERFUL! For anyone who is thinking of meeting in Charleston, I recommend the Francis Marion. Unfortunately, I was so busy I didn't get a chance to have any of the meals, so I don't know about that, but heard all positive comments from my attendees. I look forward to bringing another group back to the Francis Marion. Thanks Tressa Wright, DOSM, for having such a wonderful team.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the more you see. If you are on one of the top levels, you can see the Charleston...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
We look forward to your next meeting at the Francis Marion too, Tracy! Thank you so much for allowing us to host your most recent group, and thank you for your kind words. Caroline, Sharon and the rest of the staff will be floored by your outstanding recommendation!

Very best,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 21, 2014

You can't have it all...

The Francis Marion is a delightful hotel in Charleston and perfectly located for downtown. This is one of those Historic Hotels and this sometimes can mean its very stuffy but this wasn't the case. The staff were excellent, the valet staff were especially brilliant - knowledgable and helpful - and this made the hotel a delight. The public areas were pleasant and the bedrooms were good. The only issue was the bathrooms were small - they worked very efficiently but I do mean small. We had a small query over our mean plan and the hotel couldn't do enough to put it right.

Charleston and this hotel were excellent

Room Tip: Have a room on the upper floors for views of Charleston
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thanks for staying with us when you were in town visiting! Although I'm sorry you felt a little cramped in your bathroom, I'm relieved to hear you understand that comes with the territory of staying in a historic hotel. I hope you'll remember us next time you're planning a trip to Charleston!

Media, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I stayed at the Francis Marion for 4 nights while attending a convention in the hotel. The room was on the small side and the bathroom was a postage stamp, but they were comfortable and adequate. The hotel staff is very gracious and helpful. There is an on-site restaurant, The Swamp Fox, that was very nice. There is also a Starbucks and a souvenir shop at ground level.

There is no attached parking. There is a public lot 3 doors away, and hotel guests get a daily discount. But one of the hotel attendants got a cart and brought my bags from the lot, and back to the lot when I left.

I cannot manage stairs, and an old building like this one was built with plenty of half-levels. To get to the lobby level, I had to take a half-lift to that floor. Then to get to my room, I took the regular hotel elevator. Several of the meal events at the convention were in the ballroom, which is only accessible by a half staircase. But the food and service were very good.

The hotel is in a shopping district and is close to the Charleston College and the Aquarium Wharf, the site of Ft. Sumpter, the Charleston Museum, and a number of other local sites. There are also some great little restaurants in the area. There is a spa on site but I didn't see it and can't recommend it due to ignorance.

Despite my disability, I enjoyed my stay at the Francis Marion, and I recommend it to people who are not wheelchair bound.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
I'm delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay despite the challenge the stairs presented! The lift to the lobby also goes to the ballroom, and I apologize that we failed to point that out to you. I'll be sure to remind the team of this!

Very best,
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed as a family and enjoyed the location; others have said stay at a higher floor as it is on the street so can be noisy. An old hotel with character; for us it was perfect to get around town on foot, opposite the park where there are markets. If you stay on a market day i strongly recommend strolling over to the market to enjoy the food and goods on display. The only downside, which is not major, is that there is very limited street side parking to drop your bags and if you have a renatl car like us you have to park in in the multistorey car park just 2 minutes walk down the road. If we go back to the centre of town i would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: A higher floor is a good idea if you want to have windows open as there is street noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MootHouse
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
I'm sorry our parking options weren't terribly convenient for you, but I'm relieved to hear that didn't keep you from enjoying your stay! I agree that the market is not to be missed, and I'm sure other reviewers will be just as glad as I am that you mentioned it in your review. Hope to see you next time you're in Charleston!