“Decent Hotel”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Absolutely GREAT location, but This place is not quite as charming as it could be. I will say service was attentive! We had a wheelchair accessible room with a horrible shower... if you get a wheelchair room I would request to be changed. Also, when we were there for a wedding in March it was 40 degrees out. The heater ran hot then cold all night so we finally turned it off. In the morning, we called the front desk and they sent an engineer up right away. He explained the hotel didn't have insulation for the weather and the heater couldn't handle it. The only thing he recommended was to switch rooms. We didn't want to do that as we had an infant and a ton of stuff, so we stayed without heat.

Room Tip: Shower is horrible in the wheelchair rooms... unless you are in a wheelchair I would request to be c...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank ilovereb
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

I'm sorry for the issues you had with your heater, but I appreciate you letting us know! The last thing we want is for anyone to be uncomfortable in their room, so we'll be sure to take a look at that unit again soon to make sure all is well. Hopefully next time you stay with us the weather will be more cooperative!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed for a long weekend while attending a wedding. The only negative is the rooms are small and the bathroom smaller. I guess that is to be expected in a charming old building. Otherwise the staff was fine and the room clean.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Thanks for staying with us when you were in town! I'm sorry the size of our rooms and bathrooms negatively affected your overall experience, but I appreciate you understanding that that often is the case with historic hotels. I hope you'll think of us should you find yourself planning another trip to Charleston!

Best,

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Rooms were VERY clean, staff was VERY nice and attentive and knowledgeable. The only negative was the small bathrooms, but they were immaculately clean, so who cares! The location couldn't have been better, the parking garage was right next door.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Your recommendation is music to my ears! Thanks for staying with us when you were in Charleston, and thanks for taking the time to write about your visit. Our staff will be just as thrilled with your compliments as I am!

Until next time,

Reviewed March 10, 2014

My recent stay was a combination of personal travel and business. I would say the hotel is better for the business traveler. During the first part of the trip I had a friend in the room with me and it was cramped and tight. The closet is very tiny and the bathroom is the smallest I've seen in a hotel. All of that would have been fine if I had been alone but with a friend along? Too close. There are some minor maintenance issues throughout the hotel that they need to watch a little more closely--chipped paint on baseboards, cleaning not quite as thorough as it should be, etc. but overall it's a pretty place with Southern charm. Where the hotel excels is for business travelers. The conference I attended was held at the hotel and the set up was perfect--easy to get from one venue to the next, good snacks and meals and I really appreciate the WiFi that doesn't require a new code for every area. The on-site Starbuck's is a bonus. Plus, the hotel is centrally located so I didn't need to get into my car at all--very convenient. Charleston is walkable to begin with and it was a nice change of pace to be able to leave the conference and walk a few minutes to historical attractions, shops and restaurants. I didn't use the spa but my friend did and thought it was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

While it's great to hear you think ours is an ideal destination for business travelers, I'm sorry you and your friend weren't both comfortable in your room. We want everyone who stays with us — whether for pleasure or work — to feel right at home, so it's disappointing to hear we didn't entirely hit the mark with you.

That said, I'm glad you spoke up. Your feedback lets me know we can do better, and we will!

Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Francis Marion for a wedding in August. The rooms were not as pictured. Very old, mold like smell, the smallest bathroom and room that I've ever stayed in. Completely unsatisfied for the money spent. Very friendly staff, especially the valet men. If you stay in the historic area be prepared to pay for parking or valet.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jordan Carroll P
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

I'm sorry to hear your room didn't meet your expectations, Jordan. As your know, ours is an historic hotel, so the rooms and bathrooms are smaller than those in more modern hotels. We like for our guests to feel right at home when they stay with us, so if you have any ideas on how we can improve the overall experience, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was my first visit to the Charleston area. I fell in love with the area. Very nice! I do not recommend staying at this hotel while visiting Charleston. The room I stayed in felt like it was once a storage closet that someone decided to turn into a guest room to make extra money. The bathroom was so small the toilet lid would not close because of the exposed pipes. (see pics) The room was extremely dark even though it had two windows due to the view of the brick wall and view of large pipes; no sun could come into this room. (see pics) The room was also not clean. (see pics) I was extremely disappointed. Even though this was a work conference, I was staying three nights and I was uncomfortable for these 4 days. We had a room rate break due to our conference in the hotel but I unfortunately was exposed to what other rooms were like before seeing my room which added to my disappointment. After expressing my discomfort and displeasure to many friends, it occurred to me I should give the hotel the opportunity to understand, express concern or fix my issues. I spoke with a lady at the front desk who was not friendly, not helpful and was not interested in my concerns. I should have known something was up when signing in at the front desk they have you initial a form that says you will be responsible for a certain amount of charges if you want to leave early. I think it was 50% of the room rate, but I am not positive of the amount. I travel often and that is not something you normally have to agree to before seeing your room. The exterior of this hotel is wonderful. The location is fantastic. I would recommend that you do not stay on the back of this building as there are many, many rooms with the view of brick walls and outside pipes on several of the lower floors if you decide to stay here. I think you need to be on the 5th floor or higher. The problem I have with this hotel is you pay the same for these rooms on these lower floors that are dark and dingy as you do for the rooms that are a bit higher. This is a case of buyer beware! Thank goodness for TripAdvisor because now you can beware.

Room Tip: I would recommend that you do not stay on the back of this building as there are many, many rooms wi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank DebraandMike
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

I'm sorry to hear you were uncomfortable in your room, and I'm sorry to hear our front desk staff didn't seem interested in listening to your concerns. Guest satisfaction is and always has been our top priority, but it sounds like we really let you down; for that I apologize.

However, I hope you'll understand that because ours is an historic hotel, the rooms vary in size and shape. Similarly, I hope you'll understand that when we have big groups and conferences staying with us as you were, it's not always possible for us to change or upgrade someone's accommodations. We certainly didn't mean to cause you any frustration!

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

If you want all the modern convinces of a new hotel this place is not for you but if you are like me and love historic charm this place is perfect. Are room was small and quant just big enough for our need. Very clean room, bathroom and hotel. I am very picky when it comes to beds and I was very comfortable every night. We were in 15-20 minutes walking distance of everything. I highly recommend this old but classic charmer in the heart of downtown Charleston.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank HawaiianBride

Thanks for your recommendation! It's great to hear you appreciate the historic charm we work so hard to preserve here at the Francis Marion. We'd love to have you back next time you're in town!

Very best,