“GOLDEN OLDIE”

Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“GOLDEN OLDIE”
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

the Francis Marion Hotel is a stately, majestic hotel in the heart of Charleston. We checked in and were immediately impressed by the grand lobby and warm welcome. Our room was lovely and very spacious and the staff was helpful. The hotel is located across from beautiful Marion Park which was decorated with lights for the holiday season. A festive touch that made us smile. All major sights were within walking distance and we sure did a lot of walking. We would definitely stay here again if visiting Charleston.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
"Golden oldie" — what a wonderful compliment! Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay. I'm thrilled you were here to see Charleston all decked out for the holidays; it's not to be missed!

Until next time,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
Mooretown, Canada
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I love this hotel! As the co-owner of a women's tour company I am always looking for wonderful vacation spots. Broad Escapes tours for women often focuses on European destinations but after spending time at the Francis Marion hotel I know our clientele would love this hotel. It has the charm and character of a European hotel without the overseas flight! I love that it is not a "cookie cutter" chain hotel.
Location is superb in the very walkable historic Charleston. Lots of fantastic shops, restaurants and historic attractions.
I look forward to returning soon and will highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Wow! Your recommendation is music to my ears. We understand how important guest recommendations are, and we so appreciate someone as connected as you spreading the word about us!

Until next time,
Southwest Harbor, Maine
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We spent New Year's Eve 2013 at the Francis Marion. The location was great for shopping and Charleston's wonderful restaurants and activities. There was a free outdoor evening concert going on in the park across the street from the hotel which was festive and fun. A New Year's Day morning parade passed right in front of the hotel so the location was really just right. The rooms show some wear but beds are comfortable, good lighting, wi-fi access, bathroom works fine and at a good value. You don't have to book a two night minimum like some other hotels. We had a night cap in the bar which was comfortable and pleasant. It is not a luxury hotel but suits families and couples who are looking for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: You might want to book a lower floor during peak holiday times - elevators can be busy with a bit o...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for ringing in the new year with us! I'm so glad you took the time to follow up with a review. Other reviewers will appreciate your attention to detail as much as I do!

Best wishes,
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife went to a conference in Charleston. I went along for a chance to see the Hunley and Fort Sumter. This is an historic hotel that is very nice and comfortable. I got a good night's sleep. The hotel is near shopping and interesting places in Charleston. Although everyone I talked to liked the place a lot, we all joked at how slow the elevators were. You can grow a beard going from the first floor to the fourth. Nice place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for following up with us after your stay! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your visit, but I'm sorry you were frustrated with our elevators. As you said, we are an historic hotel, so I hope you'll understand that age contributes to how quickly they move from one floor to the next!

Thanks again,
Cumberland, Maryland
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel is so great! So historic! So well located! It is right in the heart of historic Charleston! We were close to shopping, restaurants and historical sites. Staff was so helpful. Parking was great! Rooms were clean and well decorated. Only one drawback, walls were thin, we heard a baby crying in the next room. Other then take we loved this hotel. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Chose a room with park view
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you, Robin! I'll make sure our staff sees your thoughtful recommendation. We can't wait to have you back next time you're in Charleston!

'Til then,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I booked a deluxe King room and was pleasantly surprised to have a beautiful large corner room with three windows, one overlooking Marion Square, and including a make-up table. The bathroom was tiny but as it was just me there it didn't matter. The bellmen and front desk staff were fantastic! I was especially impressed with concierge Constance, in her ability to get me short-notice reservations for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day and provide me lots of resources. I had a massage at the on-site spa, Spa Adagio, and found it overpriced for a mediocre massage. I walked everywhere except to the plantation and the beach, making it a very active trip also.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
An active trip indeed! Thanks for spending the holidays with us, Michelle. I'll make sure Constance sees your recommendation!

All the best,
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This was our second stay at the Francis Marion. Our first was in a standard King room. As other reviewers have stated, the rooms are not large and some have tiny bathrooms. Our first stay we had his-and-her bathrooms in our king room. Small but servicable to be sure. This time I booked a king room again but when we checked in the receptionist informed us we had been upgraded...to a penthouse suite! Thanks guys, the suite was awesome! KItchen, living room, and large bedroom with a walk-in closet and bathroom. Both rooms had beds with softer mattresses than the chain hotels normally use which works for us. The restaurant did a good breakfast which can sometimes be hard to find in Charleston. Our bartender at the Swamp Fox was great and made us some delicious Irish Coffees when we returned late on a chilly evening. The parking garage is next door and you can either use the valet parking or park it yourself. The staff are friendly and the rooms are clean. Bottom line...I've paid a lot more money to stay in other historic hotels in Charleston that were not as nice. We'll be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed the suite! Reading that we're your "new Charleston hotel" was music to my ears. Hope to welcome you back again soon!

'Til then,