“Very well done” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Hanahan, SC
“Very well done”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

Very nice hotel. Staff was outstanding; even the staff that you don't normally contact were friendly. The labor poor here in Charleston is horrible; either the staff weren't locals or management screens new hires very strictly. Room was very clean and plenty roomy.

However.....

We stayed in room 528, and never once got our room key to work. Every time we returned to our room required a trip downstairs to the front desk to get new keys.

Every time the very professional and polite front desk girl kindly made us new keys, and every time reminded us to keep the key away from cellphones and credit cards.

Every time the girl at the front desk also told us a "trick" to make it work; she recommended that we pull the poorly fitting door completely closed.

We only stayed for one night; if we stayed for multiple nights this situation would have been intolerable.

How about fixing the door lock? Seriously.

Restaurant downstairs was very good.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 528.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you had with your room key, John, but I appreciate you providing us with the information we need to fix it. You're right: Having to go downstairs every time you try to open the door isn't something our guests should have to worry about, and I apologize for any inconvenience that caused. Rest assured that we're going to take care of this as soon as possible!

Thanks,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
New Orleans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

The Francis Marion is a nice old hotel in a great location. It is a little dated but what do you expect in a hotel that dates back 100 years. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. It is located downtown directly next to The College of Charleston and you can walk everywhere. There is a great market right across the street on Saturdays.

Room Tip: High floors have great views of downtown and the water
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thanks for staying with us when you were in Charleston! I'm happy to hear everything was to your liking. Our staff will appreciate your recommendation just as much as I do!

Safe travels,
Brighton, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

There are other, better choices for similar prices in Charleston. The lack of service began at the door, where the bellman watched me struggle with heavy bags and did not even come to the curb to assist. The front desk clerk was absorbed in his paperwork. The man checking in next to me was welcomed, while I (a single woman business traveler) was not greeted, was made to stand for five minutes while the clerk completed a stack of paperwork, and was given no information about the hotel. The soft drink machines on some floors do not work at all: there are no "light snacks" at the desk as the Guest Information book promises, no mini-bars, no vending machines, and room service ends at 10 p.m. The gift shop (the other source of snacks, closes at 1 p.m. half of the week and 6 p.m. the other half. The room itself had not been vacuumed in weeks, and the bath was tiny and had not been well-cleaned. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a luxury stay in Charleston. Spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Disenchanted2013
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
I'd like to first apologize for any frustration our staff caused. We aim to treat each of our guests with the respect they deserve, and we would never, under any circumstances, discriminate against anyone visiting our hotel based on gender. I'm sorry for the wait you experienced when you checked in, but I hope you'll understand we in no way meant to offend or upset you.

That said, I'm concerned with the way you described your room. Our housekeepers take great care to make sure everything is in tip-top shape, and it's certainly not like us to fail to vacuum or neglect to clean the bathroom. Can you tell me the dates of your visit and what room you were in? I'd like to look into these issues as soon as possible.

Regards,
Kingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

From the moment we approached the building, we had the door held for us and were asked if we needed help. The check-in was easy and everyone we encountered was so friendly. To top it off, it was beautifully decorated for Christmas. It is such a perfect location and the building its self is amazing. Everything was wonderful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Laura A
Thank you so much! Your review is like a breath of fresh air, Laura. I was delighted to read you were so impressed with both our staff and our holiday decorations, and I know the rest of our team will be just a thrilled with your compliments. Come back and see us again soon!

'Til then,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Recently spent a long weekend in this grand old place and was happy with my choice. The service was both friendly and professional. I had a lovely and well appointed room with a great view of downtown Charleston. Contrary to some reivews by other guests, my washroom was very nice with adequate storage space under the sink and big enough to move around comfortably.

The elevators are not the speediest, but not slow enough to be an issue.

This hotel is in an excellent location and within walking distance of everything i wanted to do.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you, Marian! Your review is music to my ears. It sounds like you got to do a lot of exploring when you were here, which is exactly what we want for our guests. I hope you'll think of us next time you're coming to Charleston!

Safe travels,
West Melbourne, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

The challenge of managing a historic property is ably met by the staff of this hotel. Sure, with historic properties there are cosmetic issues and maintenance issues at times, but consider the whole beautiful picture. This place like stepping back in time yet with modern conveniences and a superb atmosphere in an un-rivaled location. In my opinion there is know better way to get a complete immersion into the old opulent Charleston than a stay at the Francis Marion.

Room Tip: get a view room and be ready to take in the Holy City
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jay A
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
No better way to immerse yourself in Charleston? We're flattered by the distinction, Jay! Thank you so much for following up with such a thoughtful recommendation. We're so glad you chose to stay with us!

All the best,
Huntsville, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

The hotel is very dated. When I stepped into the bathroom, I noticed a blank ring at the top of the sink. The commode looks filthy. There is all kinds of dirt around it and the tub isn't in great condition. There are stains all over the bathroom floor. There are tears in the carpet in the room around the air conditioner, and there is a whole on the side of it. I just feel as if the room is very dirty!!!!! The housekeeping staff assured me that had sanitized the bathroom but it still looks bad. I was told it was because the building was dated. I don't think that is acceptable. There are extremely comfortable beds in the room though; however, I know that if I return to Charleston, I will be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: go to another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
As you can imagine, I'm concerned to hear about the condition of your room. Although our hotel did open in 1924, we continually work to make sure our facilities are both modern and presentable. Can you tell me which room you stayed in and what dates you were here? I'd like to take a look at it as soon as possible.