“We enjoyed our stay here”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #22 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel - the staff were great and the food in the Swamp Fox restaurant was excellent, especially the lobster mac and cheese!

The hotel is catty-corner from a College of Charleston dorm and we were in the city on move-in Saturday, so that night we heard lots of partying (screaming, horns honking, etc.) from outside.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, especially during the school year, don't stay in a room anywhere nea...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thanks for staying with us when you were in Charleston, Myhra! It's great to hear you felt right at home in our hotel — that's ultimately what we want for each of our guests. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Historic Charleston!

All the best,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,055)

Reviewed August 28, 2013

You never know what to expect when you book a hotel online, especially at discounted rates. We were pleasantly surprised that our stay at the Francis Marion exceeded our expectations. We knew it was a restored historical hotel so did not expect large spacious rooms. Our queen bed sized room was large enough, however do agree that the bathroom was small, but modernized with beautiful granite sink. My husband is 6'5" and navigated well enough in it as the shower was not cramped. The room walls show signs of wear from the 1996 renovation but was extremely clean . I loved the art deco style tables and mirrors. The bed was very comfortable, we slept well in a quiet room on 7th floor with an amazing view of the park and the water. The staff is outstanding from the busboys, conceirge, managers, etc. We ate at the restaurant on three occasions and the food was excellent. I had the shrimp and grits, the fried green tomato blt.. My husband had the best reuben and the crab cakes were delicious but order more if you have a hearty appetite, three small cakes come with the dinner order. I visited spa and got great service as well and relaxing massage and a great facial. Everyone at the hotel very friendly, knowledgeable making our stay great.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

It's always nice to hear when someone is pleasantly surprised by their stay at our hotel! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your visit. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're headed to Charleston!

Take care,

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We got an excellent deal on Hotwire and this hotel offered the perfect stay for our anniversary trip. We had read about the bathrooms being small, and they were, but we weren't spending much time in there. They were perfectly manageable for two people. The bed was a little on the soft side, which was not great, but it was certainly good enough. We only got room service once and the quality was good (homemade ice cream), and it arrived quickly. We had a beautiful view, and the staff were friendly and prompt. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We had a room ending in "2" which offered the best view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for choosing to celebrate your anniversary with us! We love being able to share in special occasions like that with our guests. I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to our staff; I know they'll appreciate your feedback as much as I do!

Safe travels,

Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel was perfectly located for access to all of downtown Charleston. The hotel is beautiful and the room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The people were very friendly and helpful. Really the only two issues were the extremely slow elevators (which are in the process of being 'modernized') and the very small bathrooms which are not great for taller or bigger people.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Erik B
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

This is just what I like to hear, Erik! Thank you so much for the glowing review. Our new and improved elevators will be up and running this weekend; hopefully you'll notice a difference next time you stay with us!

Safe travels,

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Britney at the desk made us feel welcomed the minute we walked in Elroy? The bell men was also very good at his job tool our bags to room and filled up the ice bucket for us super nice bathroom very small. Beds were cozy I have family in Charleston and visit often I would definitely stay again love that they have a person in the lobby to help with questions Parking is alittle expensive but worth it they are great about getting you your car quick

• Stayed: August 2013
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

How nice to hear that you so appreciate our attentive, friendly staff! I have no doubt they'll be as thankful for your recommendation as I am. We hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Charleston!

Until then,

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is located in a great part of town, within walking distance of pretty much every attraction. My husband and I - mid-thirties and early forties - stayed here three nights earlier this week.

We got the hotel through Priceline for $100 per night, which, I thought, explained the peeling paint on the walls and ceiling and the loose hardware in the bathroom. Yes, it was a worn, shabby room but we didn't care to complain as it was just a place to sleep and it was cheap. For pictures of similar old rooms, just check out the photos shared on this site by other travelers. Our room's appearance was certainly not unique.

The stay itself was fine. In fact, we'd even had an especially nice experience with the concierge who sent up chocolate-covered strawberries for my husband's birthday. We found them when we returned to the hotel room at midnight, which was around the time we came back every night, sober. (This is an important part of the story - we're not wild college kids).

Upon checkout, my husband thought to mention that the room was not in great condition. (He was angling for a discount on parking, truth be told - which was probably warranted, given the state of the room. But no such luck). The clerk simply took his information and told us there was nothing he could do since we bought through a third-party provider. I had a pleasant chat with the concierge on my way out, thanking her again for her thoughtful gift. All was well ... or so I thought.

Out of nowhere, a few days after our return, a staff member called us at home in Canada to inquire why we'd "trashed" our room. (Remember, we're two nearly middle aged professionals. I don't drink.) He spoke to my husband in accusatory tones, suggesting we were the cause of the peeling paint and other bumps and cracks, as if we'd thrown some crazy drunken party. He'd even suggested we had something to do with the enormous crack in the ceiling, old water damage, and loose toilet paper holder and towel rack in the bathroom. It was quite bizarre and soured our whole experience with the Francis Marion.

My husband was aghast and followed up with the hotel's manager. She told him they spent $300 repairing the room after we'd left. After a brief discussion, she apologized for implying it was somehow our fault but the damage was done.

Even while apologizing, she made it sound like she was somehow letting us off the hook by not requesting any sort of compensation from us, repeating how it was "weird" that they'd rented a room in that condition.

What was most surprising was that the manager was completely unaware that some of the rooms are in that state of disrepair, especially considering the pictures posted by other travelers on this site.

Suffice it to say, I would not recommend this hotel. It's a good location and if you bid on Priceline, you're likely to get a deal. But be prepared for the possibility of some strange behaviour from management. Staff was were certainly not ambassadors for the southern hospitality we'd experienced other U.S. cities, such as Savannah and New Orleans.

1  Thank T0r0nt0traveller

Thanks for reaching out after your stay. I'm sorry to hear you were frustrated by the way we handled this situation, but I stand by what I said when we talked on the phone. If I recall correctly, you told us upon checkout that everything was fine in your room when you arrived except for the toilet paper holder, and you asked if we'd had an earthquake in the middle of the night.

The front desk staff notified me of your inquiry, so I went and checked your room. What I found was exactly what you described: the paint was peeling off the walls, there was plaster in the middle of the room, and the towel bar was ripped out of the wall. Because we check each room before guests arrive, I'm confident it wasn't in this state when you checked in. However, since our conversation, I believe that this damage wasn't your doing.

I hope you'll understand that my staff and I in no way meant to confuse or frustrate you. We simply were trying to get a better understanding of what happened and why, and I'm glad we eventually were able to clear things up. Should you have any more questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to me again.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay at the Francis Marion in July for a conference. The hotel was WONDERFUL..the room was amazing large and truly comfortable. The staff were super nice going above and beyond with assistance when needed and great welcoming personalities.
I highly recommend this property to anyone making the lovely trip to Charleston. It was located perfectly within shopping, the water ( loved the morning walks) and restaurants.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thanks for recommending us! We're all about Southern hospitality, and it's great to hear you appreciate our traditional approach to customer service. I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Charleston!

Take care,