“Fablous Hotel”

Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Fablous Hotel”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was very pleased with my stay at the Francis Marion Hotel. It not only is a beautiful old building in the heart of downtown Charleston, but the staff was very helpful. They recommended some great bars and restaurants to visit, which definitely enhanced our trip. I had forgotten to request a needed roll away mattress upon check in. Upon calling the mattress in later that evening, it was promptly delivered to our room! Beds were also comfortable, and the room was very cozy. I will make sure to stay at the Francis Marion next time I visit Charleston

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thanks for the excellent rating, Ken! It's great to hear you were so pleased with how accommodating our staff is. We like for everyone who stays with us to have an exceptional time, and I'm delighted that was the case for you!

Until next time,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I'm pretty picky about hotels, but I'm comfortable giving this hotel five stars. I stayed here five nights at the end of July in Room 400, which is a bedroom with a separate living area. I have to admit, every time I walked through the common areas of this hotel, I thought of the Titanic, I know that's weird, but the hotel has that same feeling of old-world luxury.

My room had a street view and was very quiet. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was small, yet very nice. I didn't use the living area, but it was nicely appointed.

The service is top-notch. Doormen are polite and helpful. Front desk is ready to provide courteous service. Honestly, the only small flaw was the elevator, which was really slow, but it's an historic hotel, so that's part of the charm.

The hotel location is ideal to shopping and restaurants. Even the hotel restaurant is good.
Overall, an excellent stay.

Room Tip: Street view for the scenery.
2 Thank VFan2z
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
To read that someone who holds hotels to such high standards has no qualms about giving us five stars is both flattering and humbling — a remark our staff won't soon forget. The fact that you compared our rooms and decor to that of the Titanic is just the icing on the cake! I'm delighted to hear you were so impressed with every aspect of your stay, and I hope you'll keep us in mind next time you're planning a trip to Charleston.

Safe travels,
Phoenix
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed in this lovely, old and grand hotel for the first time in mid-July w/my daughter during her student orientation at the College. The staff was gracious and very accommodating at check-in. The bedding is fabulous, making for an excellent nights rest. The restrooms are quite tiny, but you have to realize this is a very old hotel and whatever it is lacking in amenities due to its age, the staff makes up for in southern hospitality. The Swamp Fox restaurant is a great place for a wonderful dinner and easy breakfast; the shrimp and grits are delicious. I will be returning again with my family in the Fall.

1 Thank TJPhx
Hands down the best place to stay in Charleston? What a gracious compliment! Thank you so much for taking the time to recommend us. We love being able to host College of Charleston students and parents, and we're already looking forward to your next visit!

Until then,
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Lovely hotel in a fantastic location.To the left long street of bars and restaurants to the right long street of shops as I say perfect location.
Hotel itself and the rooms were traditional and clean with great air conditioning could have done with a bath as the only complaint I would have would be the shower was stuck in a corner of the actual shower cubicle and you couldn't get washed easily.
Apart from that Charleston is a brilliant place and this hotel is perfect location to explore the outer beach areas.After having an amazing previous week in newyork this was a pleasant contrast to the hustle and bustle (and extremely expensive for food and drink) to the laid back cheap and traditional real South Carolina experience.Would definitely return to Charleston and also stay in the Francis Marion without doubt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharon2808
Great to hear from you all the way from the UK, Sharon! I'm delighted that our hotel provided a bit of relief from your otherwise busy trip. I appreciate your recommendation, and I hope to have you back next time you're in the US!

Cheers,
Beavercreek, Ohio
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was here for a conference for 2 nights. Overall hotel staff are super friendly, the building has historic charm and beautiful meeting rooms. The guest room was a nice size, had a desk, vanity, couch, coffee table in addition to the king bed. My only compliant would be the humidity was controlled about everywhere else but the guest room. It was super muggy...otherwise everything was perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay! While I'm sorry to hear the humidity made your room uncomfortable, I appreciate you speaking up about it. I'll be sure to have our maintenance staff check those settings as soon as possible!

Best,
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I recently was married in Charleston and had the long task of finding accommodations for over 100 nights for my wedding party, family, and guests. After visiting ALL of the hotels in Charleston, there was NO comparison to the Francis Marion Hotel. When looking for a hotel, I wanted my guests to experience Charleston, not some typical Holiday Inn. The Francis Marion is beautiful and showcases the history of the building. Although the building is old, the rooms were beautiful and clean.

The coordinator Caroline, the front desk staff, and the bellmen were extremely helpful and friendly. The stay at the Francis Marion truly made my wedding experience so much smoother and I couldn't have asked for a better, more accommodating place to stay. To top it off, the location is perfect with many bars, restaurants, and shops nearby. You will not be disappointed with your stay here!

Side note: There is not a pool, but I don't think any of my guests noticed. There is so much to do in Charleston, so take it all in!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brooke S
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
It was our pleasure to accommodate your wedding guests, Brooke! Thank you so much for choosing our hotel to be a part of your celebration. I'm delighted to hear everything went so smoothly for you, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience with us. Best wishes to the happy couple!

Warm regards,
London, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I attended a conference withing the the hotel, which was really well organised, had good facilities and excellent food. The hotel is in an excellent location for downtown and overlooks Marion Square, where they have a pretty good farmers market on Saturday's. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable but pretty ordinary, however the bathroom was very small. The only problems we had were i) that our shower didn't change temperature (bit annoying when I wanted a cool one after a day in the blistering heat) and ii) the elevators were so slow and non-synchronised that we had to wait up to 10 mins to catch one sometimes. It didn't help that one of them was out of service. Other than that, I enjoyed staying at the hotel and liked it's close proximity to everything in downtown Charleston.

1 Thank jjk1984
Thanks for letting me know about the problems you had with your shower! It certainly should allow you to adjust the temperature at your convenience. Do you remember what room you stayed in? I'd like to have our maintenance staff check it out as soon as possible.

As far as the elevators go, we're currently working on upgrades to get them moving faster. Hopefully next time you stay with us you'll be able to tell the difference!

Best,