“Good Conference Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Beavercreek, Ohio
“Good Conference Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was here for a conference for 2 nights. Overall hotel staff are super friendly, the building has historic charm and beautiful meeting rooms. The guest room was a nice size, had a desk, vanity, couch, coffee table in addition to the king bed. My only compliant would be the humidity was controlled about everywhere else but the guest room. It was super muggy...otherwise everything was perfect!

• 4 of 5 stars
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay! While I'm sorry to hear the humidity made your room uncomfortable, I appreciate you speaking up about it. I'll be sure to have our maintenance staff check those settings as soon as possible!

Best,
Gayle Karolczyk, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (629)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I recently was married in Charleston and had the long task of finding accommodations for over 100 nights for my wedding party, family, and guests. After visiting ALL of the hotels in Charleston, there was NO comparison to the Francis Marion Hotel. When looking for a hotel, I wanted my guests to experience Charleston, not some typical Holiday Inn. The Francis Marion is beautiful and showcases the history of the building. Although the building is old, the rooms were beautiful and clean.

The coordinator Caroline, the front desk staff, and the bellmen were extremely helpful and friendly. The stay at the Francis Marion truly made my wedding experience so much smoother and I couldn't have asked for a better, more accommodating place to stay. To top it off, the location is perfect with many bars, restaurants, and shops nearby. You will not be disappointed with your stay here!

Side note: There is not a pool, but I don't think any of my guests noticed. There is so much to do in Charleston, so take it all in!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brooke S
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
It was our pleasure to accommodate your wedding guests, Brooke! Thank you so much for choosing our hotel to be a part of your celebration. I'm delighted to hear everything went so smoothly for you, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience with us. Best wishes to the happy couple!

Warm regards,
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I attended a conference withing the the hotel, which was really well organised, had good facilities and excellent food. The hotel is in an excellent location for downtown and overlooks Marion Square, where they have a pretty good farmers market on Saturday's. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable but pretty ordinary, however the bathroom was very small. The only problems we had were i) that our shower didn't change temperature (bit annoying when I wanted a cool one after a day in the blistering heat) and ii) the elevators were so slow and non-synchronised that we had to wait up to 10 mins to catch one sometimes. It didn't help that one of them was out of service. Other than that, I enjoyed staying at the hotel and liked it's close proximity to everything in downtown Charleston.

1 Thank jjk1984
Thanks for letting me know about the problems you had with your shower! It certainly should allow you to adjust the temperature at your convenience. Do you remember what room you stayed in? I'd like to have our maintenance staff check it out as soon as possible.

As far as the elevators go, we're currently working on upgrades to get them moving faster. Hopefully next time you stay with us you'll be able to tell the difference!

Best,
Lebanon, Oregon, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

We found that this hotel has the old fashioned feel of the elegance of Charleston. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was small but comfortable and clean. The location of the hotel is very convenient to the best sites of Charleston -- the waterfront, the old town and the university. We did not have to take the car out of the garage to see the sites that we wanted to see. However, remember that this is an old hotel which requires upkeep that can sometimes inconvenience guests. The view from our room of the city was great and we could even see the water. We didn't have the chance to sample the restaurant, but there are many other fine restaurants within walking distance. This is a hotel that we will definitely consider on our next trip to Charleston.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Th0mas67
Thanks for your detailed feedback! It's great to hear from you all the way from Oregon. The fact that you think our hotel embodies the elegance and history of Charleston is such a wonderful compliment — one I guarantee our staff will appreciate as much as I do. We hope to see you again next time you're out this way!

Safe travels,
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Wonderful historic hotel with great rooms. The hotel staff goes above and beyond my 5 day stay was more than I could have expected. I would recommend this to anyone who is a history buff. I don't believe I have ever stayed where I felt I really mattered. Loved, loved, the staff in all areas.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank aanana07
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
The place to stay? Wow! What an amazing compliment. To hear that your stay far exceeded your expectations is just the icing on the cake. We appreciate your recommendation as much as we appreciate your business!

Until next time,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My stay was generally a good one. The staff were very helpful and cordial. Even though the hotel is obviously an old one, it still had class and charm. It is also in a wonderful location. You are within walking distance of many great restaurants and shopping, not to mention the ocean. However, my room did need some minor repairs, such as painting and deep cleaning. There was something on one of the curtains as well as on the door trim to the bathroom. Also, I wouldn't suggest the restaurant connected to the hotel for breakfast. I ordered the french toast and it appeared they had just toasted some texas toast and sprinkled cinnamon on it.

1 Thank Mnwilkin
Thanks for bringing those things to my attention! I always appreciate when guests let me know when they see areas for improvement. We are continually improving our historic hotel, and your suggestions will help us preserve the past!

Thanks again,
Cary, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here for two nights beautiful public areas. Historic hotel. Nice location. Rooms need to be updated. However, the beds are very comfortable. Rooms are large. Bathrooms are nice shower water pressure low. Used Hotwire for rates. If you use the hotel website it's pricey.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ACPCary_NC
Thanks for your input! While it's great to hear you appreciate our historic charm and convenient location, I'm sorry you weren't completely satisfied with the water pressure in your shower. Do you remember what room you stayed in? I'd like to get our maintenance staff in there as soon as possible to figure out what's going on!

Regards,