“Very nice hotel.”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Very beautiful hotel. The bathrooms are small but have a great shower. There is also a desk in the room to do makeup, etc. Elevators are slow when busy. Location is excellent. It is close to everything in downtown Charleston.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveler041166

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Francis Marion is in a great location, and that is the best thing it has going. The rooms are small but that's to be expected of a city hotel. The few things that bothered me were:
1. The elevators - they are so slow. On the weekend, it was impossible to get down from our tenth floor room in less than 7 minutes
2. The room smelled like mildew
3. The water took forever to get warm
4. The bathroom is super tiny and the toilet doesn't have a back and needs to be flushed with a lever (like a public toilet).

Yes, these things are minor but it's good to know what to expect.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tacalia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My spouse and I had the honor of staying at the Francis Marion Hotel in Charleston, S. C. for 4 days. We had an exceptional experience there and would recommend it to anyone planning a vacation or just passing through. The room was impeccably clean and comfortable. Your never saw any Housekeeping staff around. We lost an item and it was quickly retrieved by the Housekeeping Manager. A series of questions from him located the item in question within 15 minutes! The area surrounding the hotel was magnificent to walk around and to enjoy the sites. Restaurants were very good-go for the seafood, forget the burgers. There was so much to enjoy around historic Charleston. The room may be considered small, but you're not there to be in the room all day--get out and enjoy the sites. You just need a place to shower and sleep. It's just a charming hotel!!!

Room Tip: Get a room with a queen or king bed. This is an older hotel so the bathrooms may be a bit on the sm...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank evefrSI
Reviewed June 19, 2013

My family returned to the Charleston area after spending Memorial Day weekend off the peninsula. We wanted to experience historic downtown Charleston in the middle of everything Charleston.

We picked the "wrong" hotel for this experience. First our check in experience was not Southern Hospitality at its best. We had an obnoxious, overweight, sweaty man check us in. No hello, no how are you today, no welcome to Charleston, no have you been here before, "Nothing."

Then we get to the room and it is the size of an Amtrak sleeping car room. And; the bathroom was the size of a chemical toilet and smelled like one. The bathroom was not clean; black mold, rust on the fixtures and hair in the tub.

This hotel is on the National Historic Hotel Registry but is as far away from the standards of this type hotel as possible. The owner and managers that should be keeping the property at these standards must be absent from the property or just do not care and are just collecting a paycheck.

Very disappointed after a wonderful stay at another hotel in the area in Mount Pleasant.

Room Tip: Stay at another historic downtown property.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Katrick001
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I found found this hotel on Tripadvisor and booked purely on the reviews so there were no surprises for me.
A truelly grand old hotel in a central location in this beautiful city. The old lifts were a bit slow but are under going upgrades, the bed was comfortable but the bathroom was tiny. As I only stayed for one day this wasn't a problem because I didn't have time to be hanging around in my room. Breakfast was pretty good and car parking next door was easy.
I would definately go back again

Room Tip: I was just in a standard (last) room on the 4th floor across with a view across the Farmer's Mar...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Francis Marion Hotel's location is very convenient to shopping on King Street, many great restaurants and the College of Charleston campus. The rooms however are ridiculously small and the bathrooms are the size of a broom closet.
The staff was friendly and the room was clean, but with all of the fantastic hotels in Charleston I doubt that I would stay here again.
There's also not a pool which is a negative when the weather is warm.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

When I booked the room I was going to stay in here, I told the lady at the front desk that I was going to be staying for my honeymoon. She told me "wow that's awesome, I'm super glad that y'all picked here for y'all's honeymoon. Because it is your honeymoon I will go ahead and give you and upgrade for the same price." I told her that was awesome, but I didn't know what kind of upgrade she had given us. When my wife and I checked in they told us that yes we had been upgraded and that we had been upgraded to a suite!!!! How awesome is that??? The service here is outstanding and everybody is friendly and helpful on giving out information on the best places to go around Charleston. I would definitely recommend anybody staying here.

• Stayed: June 2013