“Best Hotel in Charleston”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I had a wonderful experience at the Francis Marion Hotel. I thought that great service was fond memories of the past until I had an event at this Hotel in Charleston, South Carolina. The Hotel is beautiful, with historical charms. But it is the service I received that prompted me to write this review. Besides typical courtesies that most hotel staff extend to hotel guest, Jesse Ordan, the Front Office Manager at the Francis Marion Hotel, really extended himself to provide excellent service. I had several gifts delivered to the Hotel for an event I was hosting there, and upon my arrival, Jesse offered to deliver them to my room, personally delivered several boxes, and also provided me with supplies so that I could alter the gifts to my liking. He was very accommodating, and offered services without request-on his own accord! How often does that happen nowadays! This type of service just does not happen often anymore. I really really appreciated Jesse's and the Hotel's accommodations and service! Also, in additional to the wonderful service I received, which I cannot give enough accolades, Swamp Fox the restaurant in the Francis Marion Hotel, in my opinion, serve the Best Shrimp and Grits in the City! I will definitely return to this Hotel when visiting Charleston. Great location, great food, and the best service anyone could expect! Five Stars!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Sherry A

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Perfect location hotel. A little disappointed in the room. For the price was looking for better quality. The bed was comfortable but small for my husband and I. The bathroom was extremely small And there was mildew in the shower. It took a while For the room to cool down. The elevators were very slow and old. No refrigerator in the room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2013

It has happened to me once or twice before: you pay for a hotel in advance and then you are charged again when you get there or leave. It was particularly egregious at the Francis Marion since having paid in advance, I checked out at the desk with the assurance that I owed nothing. But credit card statements showed that later the same day my card was charged the second time for staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: Walls are very thin, window rattled until I jammed it. WiFi was free and staff were generally pleasa...
Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel is touted as a "historic landmark," and well, it is. However, does it have to smell old? The place is in dire need of some love and a major overhaul. Tenth floor is supposedly haunted by a man that jumped to his death from one of the rooms on this floor many years ago. The hallways are like walking in a freezer. Bathrooms are weirdly configured In the rooms (like an "after thought"), the closets smell of mold and the hardware on the toilets are those of a public park not that of a historical landmark. Would never stay here again and do not recommend.

Room Tip: Stay at the Vendue Inn instead.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SilverLake2TheWorld
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The rooms at the Francis Marion are nice, though the fixtures are dated. Bathrooms tend to be small, and the elevators are abysmally slow. In addition the lobby has 1920's charm, though in general it seems like the hotel has not updated the furniture, fixtures, etc. since then, giving a kind of worn out feel. The location cannot be beat, it sits on Marion Square, and is on the College of Charleston campus. It is a short walk to the market, and a longer but easily doable walk to MUSC. The hotel is in the center of the downtown shopping district, with great dining just a short walk away. Parking is in a public garage about 100 feet up King Street, or Valet. That said, I think it is a nice place to stay, and would recommend it for your next visit to Charleston.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank nyteowl
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for recommending our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback in response to the condition of the hotel. We are in the process of replacing all of the bathroom fixtures, and we are going through an elevator modernization project that should be completed by the end of summer. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location, and I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in Charleston.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were in town for a wedding and the bride recommended this older hotel because of its great location on King Street. The lobby is quite lovely, though the hotel shows some wear and tear. Others in our family mentioned their small rooms and even smaller bathrooms. We reserved early and asked for an accessible hotel room because of personal needs and we had a rather large room and a nice newly remodeled accessible bathroom. The staff at the desk were welcoming and very helpful. We enjoyed our weekend brunch in the hotel restaurant. The location is fabulous. We loved walking to the wedding venue, restaurants and shops along King Street in this beautiful city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank APBowen

Thank you for the lovely review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, staff, lobby and weekend brunch. We hope to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Francis Marion is a classic hotel with a great modern touch- free WiFi! The lobby is open with high ceilings, and very helpful staff. Although the bathrooms were small, they had a full tub, and my room even had 2 bathrooms! The hotel is very convenient to the shopping area of King Street, a short walk to the City Market (worth the walk), and a short walk to the harbor for tours to Fort Sumter.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

We appreciate the great review on Trip Advisor! The free Wi-Fi is a great feature at our hotel and recent upgrades have made it fast. I hope you can stay with us again soon.