“Poor sleep, smallest bathrooms”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #22 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Smallish rooms, extremely small bathrooms and the elevators are a nuisance. Clean facility and friendly staff does not compensate for the short-comings. It is located in a perfect area for exploring the city. The biggest plus is that there is a Starbucks within the facility.

Room Tip: Try for the top floors and away from the park. The single pane glass does little to block the noise...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We're sorry your expectations were not met. Historic properties have building restraints imposed by governing authorities and we are limited in our structural changes. We make it a priority to listen to guests' concerns though. We are in the process of modernizing the elevators, whcih will make them more efficient. I hope you will give us a second chance.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,055)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel lobby and ball rooms were beautiful, but the rooms left a lot to be desired. The rooms were tiny and bathroom even smaller. The elevators were very slow and the old-fashioned pully ropes sounded so strained that i wondered if we were going to make it safely each time we entered.We were there for a wedding where the reception was at the hotel. The reception room was beautiful and the buffet was delicious. The staff was very friendly, accommodating and informative. All in all, an OK experience thanks to the staff.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the noise from the elevators. That noise has been fixed. We are still in the process of modernizing the elevators to make them more efficient though. I assure you that the elevators are regularly certified for safety. I am delighted to hear that the wedding you attended went well, and you enjoyed our service and food. I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

All told, the Francis Marion Hotel is a place that I would stay at again, (no staff, sleeping, or cleanliness problems) but I'd wait for a discount. It has a good location, beautiful decorations, a tasty restaurant, and some interesting history. You'll find that it's much more expensive on fridays and weekends than on weekdays. Our room was a little narrow and the TV had terrible screen and sound quality, so I don't feel that the room and amenities were worth the price. Room service was so-so, and I enjoyed the location (and price) of some other downtown hotels more.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I apologize for the problems you had with the tv, and I will have our maintenance staff address that. You included some great tips to get lower rates - weekdays and summer and winter are the most economical times to visit Charleston. Spring weekends are a little higher rate in the city, because of the beautiful weather, festivals and tour of homes, and the gardens being in bloom. I hope you will stay with us again.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed in 3 Charleston hotels within one week...we were cashing in points for the other two hotels but we got Francis Marion blindly through priceline. It was nice enough, the room they gave us was large since it was a conversion from two small rooms combined (I asked for that and was given it). We had 2 tiny bathrooms in our enlarged room, so we used one for the kids and one for us. Both bathrooms looked clean but had that sour "straight bleach" smell that was overwhelming the first night.
This hotel is across the street from a park that was pretty but seemed to be a little seedy at night. The location is not as ideal to the sites as was the Mills House.
There is no pool here, the kids missed that after having pools at the other hotels. Front desk and maid service were fine. We did pay to park as per norm for most downtown hotels.
I'd rather stay more central to the town, this was on the upper north edge of the district.

Room Tip: Ask for an enlarged room (made from 2 small rooms) so you can have 2 bathrooms...bathrooms are tiny.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

We appreciate the review on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that we were able to upgrade you to Deluxe accommodations with two bathrooms, and that worked well for your family.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Booked this hotel via hot-wire. While some have complained that hot-wire rooms are bad, I did not have that experience. Seventh floor facing the river. Front desk was helpful as well as valet Keon. He attended college of charleston last year. Gave us great tips for great food at a good price. Go to D'allesandro's pizza. Building nothing fancy, but the best pizza! Thanks Keon!,,,

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for the good review on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your wonderful comments to Keon. I am happy that you enjoyed your room and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I was a guess at the hotel in room702, and the housekeeper April, I remember her name b/c its the month of April, had done a wonderful job my room smelled nice & fresh and so neat. April was very sweet to me, she called me by name and that's showing respect, she really my day and it made my stay so pleasing.

April:)) & Francis Marion Hotel

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor! I will pass on your nice comments to April. I am delighted to hear that she made your day.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

They book parties on weekends with loud music without regard to the guests on the lower floors. It is 11:45pm, I am here on business and I would like to get some sleep. Calling guest services was of no value. Never again!

Room Tip: Stay away from the second and possibly third floors.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard C

We appreciate the time you took to put your concerns on Trip Advisor. I greatly apologize that you were not able to get some sleep due to the noise.