“Great location, old style service and nice ambiance”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went on a Hotwire bid for downtown, historic area, and got a good deal for a mid week stay for two nights. First the parking garage is before the hotle about a half block away on King St. With valet parking if you wish or drop off your bags, then go around the lock back to the hotel with staff to help with bringing your bags up to the second level where the front lobby is located. The daily rate at the garage is now $14 a day with your room key or hotel receipt to gat the discount rate with in and out privileges.

Once in the grand lobby, the front desk staff are very personable, helpful and efficient. The hotel is the tallest building in the area, as well as one of the oldest for grand ballroom, conferences, meetings and an excellent restaurant, the Swamp Fox, on the first floor, as well as a Starbucks and a small convenience store. We had breakfast and dinner at the Swamp Fox, which gets our five star rating.

Recommend a room away from the street because there is a lot of motorcycle and truck noise late and early, as well as some spring breakers yelling in the park at all hours. This was one of the noise issues including old pipes and air vent noises at all hours so if you need quiet for sleeping, bring your earplugs.

The room had unique styled furniture and mirrors - roccocco Southern tilted. Coffee maker, flat tv. Bathroom rather small with older plumbing with the gurgling toilet, watch the handle on the side! The bathroom paint could be refreshed a bit.

The location is great for walking around historic Charleston, just o down King St. To the harbor with all the shopping in the world. Great walking tours are described in the AAA South Carolina guide book, but get a better map at the front desk. No need to buy a tour or ride a carriage with a good walking map.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street and higher than the third or fourth floor to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

We appreciate the detailed review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you give our Swamp Fox Restaurant a "five star rating". We hope you will visit us again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,055)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was here for a business trip in March 2013. While the hotel looks big from the outside my room is definitely smallest one I have seen beside the Waldorf Astoria (with a king size bed and barely enough room for anything else. Bathroom is enough to fit one person). The elevators took forever and at times one of them was not working.
There is only one restaurant on the premise and they close early. However, the staff accommodate our group and let us stayed late while we finished our drinks.
There is a Starbucks adjacent, however can be quite crowded at times.

Room Tip: Away from elevators and not too high up since you may have to take the stairs to your room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Like the Waldorf Astoria - we are a part of Historic Hotels of America. Our elevator modernization project is scheduled to be completed this summer, which will make them more efficient. I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in Charleston.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I literally slept and spent all day in bed one day. The bed was super comfortable.

Room was small. Elevators sometimes were busy and took a long time.

Room was nice but small. Sink was clogged but not bad enough to call maintenance. Stopped by front desk to request more towels, they arrived quickly and we received a follow-up call to confirm our receipt of the towels.

Old charm but updated. Convenient to downtown and all that has to offer (shopping/restaurants/historical sites).

Restaurant was good.

I would recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have nicer views [obviously =)].
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your recommendation. I am happy to hear that you got to catch up on some sleep and found our bed super comfortable. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel was great. I was down with my two little girls and the front desk was very accommodating in helping us get a room to fit. Loved the view of Marion Square and the old Citadel. We could even see the cooper river bridge! Bathrooms are tiny but nice. Room service food was blah but the delivery staff was lovely. Big thanks to the bellhops too especially Emory who was very helpful and pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your nice comments to Emory and the room service staff. I hope you can stay with us again soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I booked on Hotwire so got a really good rate. I'm not sure I'd pay the normal rate for the room. Because we booked on hotwire, they were initially going to give us a queen bed room, but my husband is a big dude so I kind of gave the girl my most "please have sympathy on me" face and she gave us a king room. When we got up to the room, we realized it had sort of an interesting feature. It had 2 full bathrooms. Sure they were tiny, but full shower, tub, and everything. It was like his and her bathrooms. AWESOME idea. :-)
Staff was also very helpful. And the hotel is really in a great location...its near some great restaurants and you can walk anywhere in the historic area that you want.

One tip: There is self parking in the garage right next door to the hotel. It cost less than valet and we enjoyed the flexibility of taking the car out to go to the plantations outside town, etc. I'd park there...they gave us a 3-day pass hotel guest rate and we were able to come and go as we pleased and just show them the slip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your nice review of our hotel on Trip Advisor! I am happy to hear that we were able to upgrade your room. That room actually used to be two separate small rooms when the hotel opened in 1924. That is why it has two bathrooms. We knocked down the wall to make a bigger room. Also, thank you for pointing out the different options for parking. I hope you will stay with us again next time you are in Charleston.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

My family and I just stayed at this hotel from March 29 thorugh April 1 of this year. We had three rooms. Two on 9th floor and one on “penthouse” floor. Which at one time was probably just one big suite but has since been divided up in smaller rooms. First let me say that hotel is lovely from the outside, located across from a park and easily walkable to many restuarants and shops. The location and the lobby are probably the best features of the hotel.

9th Floor Rooms- Large enough for two people, no more. Bathrooms are tiny. One person at a time. Closet also tiny. No safe. Toiletries limited. Maid service didn’t make up room on one night until dinner time and didn;t do one of the rooms beds because there was a set of clothes and a computer left on bed. A note was left explaining this. I have never heard of this. I can understand not wanting to be responsible for being blamed if something were to happen to the lap top. Maybe a note should be left stating what is expected for maid service.

Penthouse Room- Again, large enough for two people, no more. Bathroom was much larger and had extended toiletries, robes and nightly turn-down service with chocolates. I paid the same amount for all three rooms. Also, hallway floors were wood so it was very loud and our room was adjoining another guests and the walls were embarrassingly thin. Hotel management had to come up the first night and let himsef in to turn off the tv it was that loud.

Room Service- We ordered a late night snack and breakfast. Both were good and very prompt.

The Swamp Fox- We ate their Friday night and Sunday night. Food was good both nights but service was better on Friday night. Probably best fried green tomaotes we had during our stay.

Elevators- The service of the three elevtors by the last day was comical. My brother timed it one day it took 12 minutes to get to penthouse. I do think they were scheduled to be updated this week.

Service- Desk staff very friendly and efficient. The boys standing outside also very friendly and willing to open the doors and get you a taxi. But the last day they were suposed to have a taxi waiting for us at 1:30 to take us to the airport and when we were ready “someone” dropped the ball and they all started blaming one another. Not professional at all.

So having said all that, and after visiting another hotel for lunch, laying by their pool while my family had spa services and the cost was only slightly higher, we would stay there next time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our location, lobby, and fried green tomatoes. I apologize for the misunderstanding with housekeeping, and I will pass on your feedback to our Executive Housekeeper. We are undergoing an elevator monderization project that will make the elevators more efficient. I am also sorry to hear about the problem upon your departure with the taxi. I will make sure that issue gets addressed as well. We really do thank you for the feedback, and I hope you will give us a second chance.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed in The Francis Marion 3/23-3/28/2013 and enjoyed the hotel and restaurant very much! We had a corner room which accommodated a King bed easily and gave us 2 windows! Comfy bed, nice linens! Bathroom very small but this is a historic building modeling European style !
Room included a closet and 4 drawer dresser - plenty of room! Desk, chair and console also in room with plenty of space!
Bellhop was very nice and helpful as wear the housekeeping staff! We ate in Swamp Fox for breakfast each day as it was convenient and the food very good ! Ate one dinner there - also very good! The hotel gave us a voucher for a bottle of wine - we chose a Chardonnay - very nice - and. a $25 value! We chose the package that provided $50/ nite in vouchers to use at about 12 different restaurants or the spa - that was great to try the excellent restaurants on and around King Street - we enjoyed The Macintosh, Fish, Virginia's on King and Coast! Each unique and delicious!
We enjoyed our stay in the Francis Marion and would highly recommend the hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013

Thank you for your recommendation of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to hear that you were able to take advantage of our Charleston Getaway Deal that includes the $50 per night to your choice of some of the best restaurants in town. I will pass on your nice comments about the food to our chef. We look forward to serving you again in the future.