“Great hotel and venue for wedding reception”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I had our wedding reception at the Francis Marion a few weeks ago and the service, venue, and hospitality were exceptional. A majority of our guests stayed at the hotel and all had nothing but great things to say about this hotel and its staff. The location of the hotel is fantastic too because you can walk down King Street and shop, eat, and have a great time. I highly recommend this hotel if you are visiting in the Charleston area for a few days and for those of you who are looking for wedding reception venue (their catering service is wonderful).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Congratulations on your marriage!!! We do love weddings at the Francis Marion Hotel, and I am delighted to hear that your's was "exceptional" and that your guests had great things to say. We really appreciate you sharing this on Trip Advisor, and I hope you will stay with us again for your anniversary or sooner.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,017)

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Francis Marion for a week while attending a conference. The hotel was selected by the group sponsoring the conference, so I had not made the decision to stay there myself. Based on my week-long experience at the FM, here is my list of pros and cons:

Pros: Attractive front lobby; polite front desk attendant and doorman; very comfortable bed; good HD television; great location.

Cons: air conditioning in room did not work no matter how low I set the thermostat and room was very warm; walls and bathroom door were scuffed up and needed painting; bottom of bathtub had area of ceramic that had been broken and not repaired; space between foot of bed and dresser was very narrow and drawer could not be opened all the way; there was a dead insect on the floor in the room that I noticed on my first morning there and who was still there when I returned after the first day of meetings. I intentionally didn't remove him to see when Housekeeping would get it. They didn't.

Given a choice, I would not stay at the FM again. I can get the good things the FM has to offer at other hotels without getting the bad. It's a shame. The FM has great potential.

• Stayed: January 2013

We appreciate the time you have taken to discuss your concerns on Trip Advisor regarding your stay. We are sorry your expectations were not met. We have discussed these topics with the Director of Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers and are addressing them. I know this does not change your experience, but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and are definitely responding to your suggestions. We make it a priority to listen to guests' concerns. Thank you, again, for the feedback, and I hope you will give us a second chance.

Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my time here! It is located just north of all the tourist areas including the arts and fashion districts as well as Market St. Plenty of places to eat and drink around the hotel. The lobby was very nice and eye catching. The staff was polite and very helpful. The room was clean and spacious for 2 people. The only problem I had with the room was no microwave or fridge. If you want a room with a view of the main street make sure you request it. My room faced another brick wall but this was no problem for me. There is parking in the garage next to the hotel or you can park on the street after 6pm til I believe 8am for free. Overall I would definitly stay here again...

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience on Trip Advisor! We can place a fridge in the room for an additional $10 per night, or they are available in our suites. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

The hotel is in the process of re doing the lobby so lots of workers in the center of the hotel. But the real issue was the inability to control the heating unit in the room. The staff was very pleasant and did their best, but the room was small and the bathroom even smaller - one person size. This was what they referred to as a standard room

Room Tip: Perhaps check out the heating unit during check in
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor about your stay at the Francis Marion is most appreciated. I have notified our Director of Mainentance about your issue with the heating unit. The lobby sure does look great after getting a fresh coat of paint. I'm sorry though that renovation was taking place while you were here. Being a historic hotel, we are continually restoring the property. Thank you, again, for your comments, and I hope you will choose to stay with us again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here for first time during a weekend in January and was very happy overall with the hotel. First off the location is perfect, right in the heart of downtown Charleston making it walking distance to a ton of shopping and restaurants. The hotel staff was extremely helpful and gave us a great restaurant recommendation. Room was slightly above average, nothing too fancy but for an old hotel it beat my expectation.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay here, and thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to Charleston's historic district, the battery, and shopping. The hotel was lovely, and I was amazed at the kindness of our room service attendant. She happily swapped our wine for delicious truffles, brought up a free loaf of warm bread, and was warm, cheerful, and quick to serve. Because of her service, I am much more likely to reserve another stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

I will pass on your wonderful comments to our room service staff. It is a great service that we offer, and I am delighted to hear that your experience was good. Thank you for sharing it with Trip Advisor. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Mediation travel took me to Charleston and this was a bright spot, not outstanding but surprising and very nice. I was only there for overnight business, but dinner at the bar was delightful and good, the room very interesting, why would I need two full baths???? came for the price, Oh well it was nice, and I would go back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

We appreciate the time you have taken to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. Can you believe when the hotel first opened in 1924 the room you stayed in was two rooms - that is the reason for two bathrooms. I hope your work brings you to our hotel again soon - or you can come for fun!