“Central Location, Classy, Charleston in a Nutshell”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Greenville, South Carolina
“Central Location, Classy, Charleston in a Nutshell”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I lived in Charleston for a year and a half and stayed at the FM during my first trip back since moving away. I was in town for a conference, and although I had attended some conferences and other events at the FM before, it was my first time staying in the hotel as a guest. We get an awesome rate with my company at this hotel, so I jumped on top of this. I am not sure how much the rooms cost regularly, but for a short-term stay, I would pay a good deal to stay here mainly due to its central location. This is a great location downtown Charleston. You can walk mostly anywhere you want to go downtown, and the staff at the desk and the door are very good at helping you with directions and transportation. If you drive into town, be aware that the deck where you will park is not attached to the hotel...so although it is a short walk it is a a few doors down...on a busy street...so it may be best to leave your bags at the door before parking, or possibly valet. The elevators are "historic" so there aren't many of them, and they aren't extremely fast, but considering how old the hotel is, it's no surprise. The rooms aren't extremely fancy, but they are clean. Breakfast is tasty, and the desk staff is extremely professional. I thought I left my debit card in my room (ended up locating it in my purse) after checking out, and when I called the hotel to see if it had been located the response was prompt and the man with whom I spoke was genuinely concerned. Relative to the other hotels in the area, it's pricey, but if you have some money to burn and want to stay somewhere historic...it's a good pick. I will say that there are some cheaper options in the area that have the same if not more to offer comfort wise, but you won't get that good ole boy Charleston experience-which has its value!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
We are in a great location! Thank you for recognizing that as well as all of your other wonderful remarks about our hotel. We are doing some work on the elevators starting in December that will improve the efficiency. Also, I am delighted to hear about the great customer service you received when dealing with your missing debit card. We try to go above and beyond for all of our guests. I hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Charleston (and hint - if you are looking for a good deal try staying in December and January for great rates).

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Lemont, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Our daughter chose Charleston for her destination wedding. Most of us stayed at the Francis Marion. This hotel is located in the historic district so if you are looking for modern, sleek,etc. Look elsewhere. The lobby reflects comfortable southern charm. It was a wonderful place to meet with friends as they arrived. Julie the concierge was wonderful. She recommend some outstanding restaurants and made reservations for us. Not only were there many weddings that weekend, but Charleston is home port to a cruise line. When the ship is in, there are 5,000 more people in town. Who knew reservations were so necessary? Julie did. The main desk was helpful and supplied bottle water to shower caps for grandma. Our room was large with a sofa sleeper and a great bed. It was a comfortable as the heavenly bed we have at home. The location of the hotel was within walking distance of everyplace we needed to be. When in Charleston, I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. They do have valet parking at the reasonable rate of $19. a day. However, there is a public parking garage right down from the hotel for $14. a day. The only thing to be aware of is the taxis . They don't seem to be regulated. Ask there rates before you hop in.

Room Tip: See if you can look at a floor plan before you book. Some rooms are much larger than others.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Congratulations on your daugther's wedding! Charleston does make a great destination wedding location, and we are delighted that you and your guests chose to stay with us while here. I will pass on your nice comments to Julie. If you ever have questions about the taxis, our bellman will be happy to assist, and if you are going somewhere within the historic district, I would recommend a pedi-cab (the guys on the bikes) or the free shuttle. Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor and we are looking forward to your next stay with us!
Rockford, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had no problems with any of the staff, they were courteous, helpful, etc. Check in was a breeze, when I learned I was booked for 2 doubles there was no problem moving me to a single queen room while keeping my view. The hotel is on the outskirts of the historic district, next to a shady park, and close to some decent shops and restaurants. The bottom line though is at $180, the hotel is just gross. Bubbling paint doesn’t both anyone, nor does questionable dirt smudges on the wall and the list goes on and on…

The hotel is in need of major renovations and the fact that AAA gives them three diamonds and others give 4 stars is abhorrent.

Fine for a cheap night’s sleep – if you’re north of $70 – I’d stay elsewhere even if you pay triple

Room Tip: Frankly put, this is just an old hotel that no one in particular cares to maintain. I had no prob...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
We have reviewed your comments on Trip Advisor and would like to thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. We are truly sorry that your expectations were not met. We are continuously looking at upgrades and additions to keep our historic hotel beautiful. Specifically, I will pass on your comments in regards to the walls and paint to our Engineering Department, so we can improve in that area.
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Francis Marion. We were there for a wedding that happened to coincide with our celebration of our wedding anniversary. The wedding and reception took place in the Colonial Room. What a beautiful venue for this event. Everything was perfect from the elegance of the room to the excellent food that was served. The shrimp and grits were by far the favorite served at the buffet! The staff was very professional and they made sure that plates were cleared in a timely manner once the party started!
We also can not say enough about the good time we had in celebration of our anniversary. Julie, the Concierge, was a great help in giving us suggestions on what to do while in Charleston. She suggested a wonderful restaurant, 82 Queen... on Queen street of course! The food was excellent. Truly a Low country experience right down to the courtyard table reserved for us by Julie! It was a great place to celebrate our anniversary and we were happy that she made the recommendation. She also suggested we take a carriage tour which we really enjoyed. It was a good way for us to learn some of the history of Charleston. Please see Julie while there, she is a gem! All in all we found the Francis Marion to be a wonderful place to stay. The main lobby was gorgeous.The Swamp Fox restaurant in the hotel served an excellent breakfast. Our room was clean. The staff from check-in to check-out were helpful and very friendly. In fact, we plan to go back next year to celebrate our anniversary in Charleston and we will definitely be staying at the Francis Marion.

Room Tip: Try to go for a room upgrade. We stayed in a corner suite and it was quite spacious and had a great...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay here as well as the wedding! Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor. I will pass on your kind remarks to Julie as well as to the Chef. We look forward to helping you celebrate your anniversary next year.
Home
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012 via mobile

Our 4 day trip was made all the better by staying at thr Francis Marion. I read the other reviews and expected the worse. But we had a wonderful time with clean, comfortable, spacious rooms. Both the hotel and resturant staff were top notch. The lobby was beautiful, the location was excellent and close to everything. What wasn't close was accessible by a free trolley. As far as one reviewers comments about a "nick" here and there. Well that just adds character to a hotel that is over 80 years old. For a place that has been around since 1924, they are doing something right!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor. I am glad that we exceeded what you expected of our hotel and that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you can stay with us again soon.
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a nice old hotel with a lot of charm. But that doesnt mean that vaccuming the hallway of wiping brown dried liquids off the sink in the bathroom shouldn't be done. Houskeeping is horrible. My room was not vaccumed and I still had food leftovers on my sofa. The bathroom was not clean with a long black hair sticking to the door on arrival and dried up stains on the floor and sink pedestal. During my 3 day stay, they never vacuumed the hallway, which was really dirty. On the second day I suddenly had no toilet paper and one waste basket magically disappeared.
Also, the doors could use some paint with all the scuffmarks on them. Just does not look clean and well maintained.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to bring these concerns to our attention. I am very concern to hear about your experience with the cleanliness of your guest room. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize, as that is not our standard here. We have discussed this topic with the Housekeeping Department. I know this does not change your experience, but I hope you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and are definitely responding. Please give us a second chance the next time you are in Charleston.
China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I hosted a bachelorette party recently and the bride specifically asked for classy, not trashy, so I booked us rooms at Charleston's Francis Marion Hotel. I'm a Charleston native, so I knew that the Francis Marion was in a super location and, although I'd never spent the night there, I had been inside for parties, etc. many times and knew the interior space was quite nice.
I am not sure what I was expecting the guest suites of the hotel to look like, but I suppose I had them built up a little more than I should have.

I rented the girls two double rooms. Each room had two double beds which sat rather high off the ground (we're young but without a stool, this would be difficult for elderly folks or those with bad legs). The beds were extremely comfortable though...good, soft mattresses. We had the usual flat screen TV, coffee maker, etc. in the room, but I did have to request a refrigerator be sent to us (which we were charged $10 a day for). I'd say it's a small price to pay if you want chilled prosecco before heading out for the night.

All the hotel staff were extremely accommodating when I checked us all in and out again and the bellhops were very prompt with our luggage. The valet parking was a bit slower moving, but this hotel sits on a rather busy corner and to get the car from the front of the hotel to the parking garage, the valet drivers have to go all the way around the block and back, so I don't blame them for that.

My only complaint, and I understand that we are dealing with an old hotel in a small town, is that the bathroom in our suite was about the same size as the bathroom in my studio apartment in Dublin, Ireland...FYI...small. Our closet in the suite was bigger! It was a tight space for sure, especially when shared by three girls.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing our hotel for the bachelorette party and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We know our historic property has modern day shortfalls, such as small bathrooms, and we try to utilize the space to the fullest by putting vanities in the room. I am delighted to hear that you found our beds comfortable and staff accommodating. We look forward to hosting you and your friends at our hotel again in the future.