Francis Marion Hotel
$319
  • Pool
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of $397/night.

$249
$178
$169
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
Town & Country Inn and Suites(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$119
Holiday Inn Express Charleston(Charleston)(Great Value!)
$100
$329
$319
Official Site
3,212 results
All reviewsswamp foxhistoric hotelking streetan older hotelwithin walking distancefarmers marketsmall bathroombeautiful lobbycorner roombell staffdowntown charlestonsouthern charmperfect locationbed was very comfortableparking garagefmconference
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I was being sent to Charleston on a business trip. I was driving in the day ahead of a conference I was to attend there. The office booked me here at the Francis Marion Hotel on Kings Street and now I am very glad they did. I had never been to Charleston before and had only my GPS to go by upon arrival. When I arrived at the hotel it is right on the sidewalk and there is no parking lot there so I wasn't real sure what to do, thankfully one of their wonderful valets tapped on my window and asked if he could help me. From there on the hotel took care of everything. They got me checked in to my room, my bags brought upstairs, a map of the downtown and surrounding area and a list of places to see and restaurants to try. I spent the rest of my afternoon wandering around in one of the coolest cities I have ever been to. When I did return to the Francis Marion I decided to try dinner at their Restaurant The Swamp Fox. Again another wonderful experience, the wait staff is super friendly and offer excellent service. The She-crab Soup with Cream Sherry is outstanding and has been served there since 1924. The New York Strip was melt in you mouth tender and nothing could beat the Chocolate Creme Brule for desert. It was absolutely decadent. When I returned to the room it was perfect. Nice and cool with a beautiful view of the bay from the eleventh floor. There was plenty of hot water and one of the most comfortable beds I had ever climbed in to. The next morning was the conference that I was attending and I didn't want to have to deal with my bags or my truck as I was only staying the one night and had to check out of my room. They said not to worry. The desk clerk checked my luggage for me and said that all I had to do when the conference was over was to collect my bags and my truck. And it was that simple. When I was done I returned and presented my tickets and the desk clerk had a valet bring my truck around and gather my luggage. It was all loaded and waiting for me when I walked out front. I know I will get back to Charleston, this time on vacation and for a lot longer than just the one night, and when I do, it will be the Francis Marion every time. Thank you for making my business trip in to a pleasure.

Room Tip: The view from the 11th floor is breath taking!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
FMH_Manager, Manager at Francis Marion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

I will pass on your wonderful comments about the service you received while staying at our hotel to all of our staff. Thank you.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

It was close to everything, the staff were incredibly helpful, and the room was comfy. I'll admit the bathroom was quirky, but overall my stay was great. I hate traveling and being away from my family, but the atmosphere and location soothed that for me. The location was superb, enabling me to see the shops, the waterfront, and a museum. The conference room was pleasant, with a good temperature.

Room Tip: 9th floor was very quiet!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed at the Francis Marion about two weeks ago and had an amazing time. The location is absolutely ideal for walking around and seeing all the great shops and sights that Charleston has to offer. We also ate at the bar in the Swamp Fox and loved it. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an elegant, comfortable experience in Charleston.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 11th floor and the views were spectacular.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

If you plan to be very active in Charleston, the Francis Marion is the perfect place to stay. We arrived on a Friday afternoon which should have been a busy time; however we did not have to wait to check in, OR for the valets to take care of our car (parking at the hotel was reasonable priced for the area). Not to mention, the hotel is absolutely gorgeous and oozing with southern charm for us city-folks. :-) We were up in our room relaxing right away with maps of the area and plenty of recommendations made by the front desk for things to do that evening. WEAR YOUR WALKING SHOES! We had so much fun at the farmers market which was conveniently right across the street on saturday morning for a great breakfast (try the breakfast crepes), and loved all the shopping and exploring there is to do. Didn't need the car the whole weekend, but would recommend driving to see the Magnolia plantation (about 25 minutes away) when you leave. All-in-all we enjoyed coming back to a comfortable hotel with a friendly staff. Thanks for a great time!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chelsea W

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed May 7, 2012

The hotel is in a great location in the historic district. We checked in and the farmers market was taking place directly across the street from the hotel. Check-in took a little longer than I typically experience at other hotels. As soon as we opened the door to our room there was a very strong odor of bleach in the room. I guess it is good that we knew the room was clean however, we had to prob the door to the hall open to air out the room. The room looked and felt very clean. The bathroom was very small. We stayed in a standard double bed, room 310. It was warm in the room when we arrived (75 degrees). We turned the AC down to 68 when before we left to explore the city for the day. We came back that evening and it had not cooled down at all. The room has a wall unit AC. We turned it down lower and slept very uncomfortable that night. I notified the front desk the next morning who said they would send someone up. We went to lunch, came back, and it was still very warm. I called the front desk again who sent an enginner up while we were there. He said there was a problem with the valve and claimed to have fixed it. We left for dinner, came back, and the room was still 75 degrees. We called the front desk again, and the only thing they could offer us was a floor fan to blow air. Needless to say we spent another night sweating in bed. Luckily it was not that warm outside. I can only imagine being in that room in the middle of the summer, it would have been very bad. For the amount I paid for the room, I do not believe I would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

We have reviewed your comments and would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this concern to our attention. We were truly disappointed to hear about the issues with the tempature in your room and we would like to apologize. Our maintenance department has fixed the problem so that future guests will not experience the same problems you encountered. I know this does not change your experience but I hope you can feel confident that we heard your concerns. Thank you, again, for the feedback, and we hope that you will give us a second chance in the future.