“Much much better than expected”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed January 7, 2008

True welcoming Southern hospitality - from the doorman to the check-in clerk who upgraded our room to a park view, to the chambermaid who stopped us in the hall to inquire if we needed anything else to the concierge who arranged very early morning taxi service. Very clean, comfortable rooms and beds. Easy walking distance to all tourist sites. My only small concern was that the bathroom renovations had been cheaply done.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mary Lykes
There are newer reviews for Francis Marion Hotel

Reviewed January 2, 2008

The room was large and overlooked the Francis Marion Square. The bed was very comfortable with nice bedding. I enjoyed the meal room service provided. Service was friendly and helpful. I highly endorse this hotel for your next stay in Charleston and found it's location within easy walking distance of the historic areas and the Battery. You simply cannot go wrong compared to the price of other hotels in area. The lobby was charming and Starbucks on site made for great morning coffee. King Street offers Saks and other high end shops a short stroll away.

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank scarletdaybreak
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Just back from a trip to Hilton Head with a side trip to Charleston.
Stayed at the historic Frances Marion hotel. Everything was perfect, from check-in to check-out. Front desk was extremely nice and professional, bellman (we had the same one coming and going) was great, concierge was helpful. Nicely located for a brisk walk to the Aquarium and Fort Sumter tour, as well as other activities. Yes, the bathrrom was small, and occupancy by more than one person at a time is dangerous, if not impossible; yet, for us, a small price to pay for great service. The bed linens are amazing! On a cold day, like we had, it was hard to get out of bed! Stayed on 8th floor, nice view of Marion Square. To make the stay even better, we ate at the Swamp Fox restaurant in the hotel. Food and service were spectacular. Had buffet breakfast as part of the deal; real good. I can't say enough about the service in the restaurant; great greeting at the door, quick with the coffee, refills, etc. All in all, a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mjrboca
Reviewed December 22, 2007

My wife and I just booked their "Carriages and Cocoa" package for a 2-night pre-Christmas stay, and I don't see how we could have gotten a better deal on lodging. The hotel's location is great (very central to points of interest in historic/downtown Charleston--everything we wanted to see was within walking distance of the hotel), the room was just fine (the only possible improvement I can think of would be if they could add an in-room safe), and the price was super (you get a free hour-long carriage ride for two with Palmetto tours as part of this package). We would have gone on a carriage tour ANYWAY, so this saved us about $40. BTW, Charleston just before Christmas is far from crowded, so restaurant or carriage tour reservations aren't needed. Also, free parking appears to be plentiful in historic Charleston, for those of you who want to drive instead of walk.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CalsYoKeig
Reviewed December 10, 2007

We were really looking forward to our stay at the Frances Marion (FM) since it was in such a great location and was an historical hotel. Unfortunately we were very disappointed in our stay.

First the positive. It is in a great location on King and Calhoun St. There are plenty of fine restaurants and places to go right outside the door. The area of King Street just north of the hotel is being renovated and of course the heart of Charleston is just to the south of the hotel. On weekends for most of the year a market is held on the weekends in Marion Square Park just across the street from the hotel. I would also say that the rates are somewhat competitive, but it is no bargain.

The lobby is just as I thought it would be in that it is one of the old grand marble lobbies from years gone by. While the rooms are somewhat nicely decorated and have flat screen TV's, they are really tiny rooms. I believe when they restored the hotel they did not enlarge any of the rooms. The room we stayed in was similar in size to what one would find in an older New York City hotel room. While that would work in New York, it doesn't quite work in Charleston. The bathrooms were tiny and in need of some maintenance. I have to admit, however, that our view out of our 8th floor room overlooking the park was nice.

As for the negative, the service was just plain lousy. Our room was not ready when we checked in so we dropped off our bags. (that is ok). When our room was ready we received no help whatsoever. I was at a business meeting and my wife ended up taking all of the bags to the room by herself. The amazing thing was that the manager was aware of the problem and just watched her do it. We never received any explanation or apology for the poor service which continued throughout. Fortunately the service in the Swamp Fox restaurant and bar was very good.

Would I ever stay here again? No. There are too many other places to stay in Charleston.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank 2Jax
Reviewed December 8, 2007

We were going to a conference in Charleston SC, that was located in the Francis Marion Hotel, so we wanted to stay where the conference was being held, for convenience sake. The block of rooms were priced at 100.00 a night, but i think the regular price is 189.00. Even if I had payed 189.00, I would have felt we got our moneys worth. This place, for starters was absolutely beautiful outside, and in! We were there in December and the Christmas decorations were traditional for the Civil war era. You really felt you were stepping back in time, when you were in the lobby!

The front desk upgraded my room to a suite, when I first checked in because they were booked solid, and I guess I walked in at the right time. Of course the suite, was fabulous, but I saw the stndard room and it was very nice as well. Marble counter tops, with old antique wood for the dressers and night stands. The beds had several fluffy pillows and the mattresses were so comfortable.

The staff was very nice, and friendly, and we had no problem with anything regarding that. The conference area was spacious, and clean, and well kept. There was a balcony right off of the main conference area that looked on to Francis Marion Park, which is beautiful in itself, and was decorated all through the park with lighted decorations, and the trees were decorated too.

As far as the location, you could not ask for a better one. Everything is within walking distance. We had a rental car, and it sat in the garage the 4 days we were there.

The restaurant was the Swamp Fox, which was the nickname for the Revolutionary war hero, Francis Marion. We only had breakfast there, which was very good. The prices were moderate for dinner, and the menu looked nice for dinner. The chef came out into the dining area, and met the diners.
There is a Starbucks under the lobby, on the ground floor, which happens to be my favorite!

I would most definitely stay here again. If I were to say anything negative it would be that the bathrooms are very small. Not much counter space to put your things.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank SpillThWine
Reviewed November 27, 2007

Stayed at the Francis Marion Hotel over Thanksgiving, 2007 for two nights. On the plus-It is an older, classy, hotel with a lot of charm. The beds, linens and towels were exceptional. The bathrooms were small but nice. Very nice furniture. Our room was clean and the staff very friendly. The Thanksgiving buffet at the Swamp Fox Restaurant in the hotel was excellent.

The negatives: No free Wi-Fi, no in room refrigerator, TV was a small 19" tube, parking was next door for $12.00 a day.

Over all I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family