“Nice Hotel...But”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We recently stayed here on the last leg of our trip, and were excited to stay at The Francis Marion, right in the center of downtown Charleston. The staff were exceptional during our stay. They were so friendly and personable. The hotel is listed as a historic landmark, dating to the 1920's, with a beautiful lobby area, all the original historic touches. Unfortunately, that's where the charm ended for us. Our hotel room was on the 9th floor, a spacious corner room, but this grande dame was definitely showing her age. The room, although clean, was tired and very dated. It was very worn, and was screaming for an update. The bathroom was the smallest bathroom I had ever seen in my life, only room for 1 person at a time. The free high speed internet was sketchy at best. The big plus for us was the hotel promotion of $100.00 worth of restaurant vouchers, at some of the best restaurants Charleston has to offer. As a result we were able to dine out for very little.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the upper floors offer great views of Chrleston and the harbor
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,021)

Reviewed August 30, 2011

We were at the hotel to take our children to college so quite an emotional weekend for us. My husband and I both forgot to make a reservation anywhere,we realized this about 30 miles outside of Charleston! We immediately started calling hotels by the time I got Liza in reservations on the phone I was about to panic. She was so kind and helpful not only did we need one room but two. She wanted to make sure I was okay when I became the emotional mother of twins entering The Citadel. She did have two rooms! We took them! Then upon arrival at the hotel we met Gayle, she personally helped us with getting our cars valet parked! This hotel has unbelievable customer service!!!Thank you Francis Marion for a beautiful weekend one that could have been a disaster!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I recently traveled to Charleston for the first time ever. Even though it was summer and even the natives were complaining about the heat, the Francis Marion was an oasis of class and comfort. Our political convention was well taken care of by an excellent staff.
I sneaked out on several occasions to walk around town. I had heard about Charleston and it exceeded all expectations, with great early American architecture abounding, particularly down at the Battery, the oldest part of town. The people of Charleston were highly accomodating.
Take a trip to Charleston if you've ever pondered going there. And stay at the Francis Marion. It is an elegant establishment from the Classical Era of urban hotels in the center of the city. Its lobby is reminiscent of a time when you expected real style in your travels. You won't be disappoointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Perfect size...for me, excellent location, knowledgeable staff, comfortable bed.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The Francis Marion is a lovely, lovely hotel in Charleston, SC. We have stayed here twice in 2010 and again in August 2011.
Everything about the hotel is wonderful. The staff go out of their way to help, the rooms are fabulous, the hotel is ideally placed to explore Charleston.
Highly recommended. It was the highlight of our drive to Florida!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2011

If you are looking for a lavish, modern hotel with huge bathrooms this is not the place for you. It is a lovely older hotel built in the 1920's and updated in 1996. We upgraded ourselves to a suite that had a bedroom and adjoining sitting room with pull-out sofa, table with chairs and flat-screen. I would recommend this arrangement to families with kids. Ours was on the 9th floor that had wonderful views of the USS Yorktown and the river. It is adjacent to Marion Square and has a lively Farmer's Market on Saturday Mornings just across the street. Bed was very cozy and the room itself quite spacious. I ordered room service twice for breakfast, corned beef hash and eggs was great, next day french toast was not good. We had wine sent up when we entertained friends and the room service went down himself to get a beer for a guest who preferred that instead. The staff was so very friendly and cheerfully attended to our every need. The best thing about this hotel besides the service is the fantastic location. Located on the corner of King and Calhoun Streets it is close to everything. Use the bicycle cabs. They are very fast and the drivers can get you anywhere in a jiffy. The only drawback for me was that this is a completely 100% smoke-free property. I don't want smoking in the rooms or inside the building at all but I do like an occasion smoke and a glass of wine on vacation and my husband likes a good cigar after dinner and there is no where to do this. There is a hooka bar/ smoke shop 2 doors down so we did visit there but you have to purchase from them so we had a beer there. Very nice place. Hope to be back someday.

Room Tip: use Hotels.com, Expedia.com, etc...and of course call hotel directly
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mommamiya
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Everything about the Francis Marion Hotel was great. The staff was so knowledgeable and friendly and the service was impeccable. My room was great with the most comfortable bed. This hotel is close by everyplace you want to be in Charleston.
I would highly reccommend the Francis Marion Hotel when you are in this area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo