“Classy old dame”

Francis Marion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here in July when we visited our son. Great location, near the cupcake shop, king St, and Virginias on king for breakfast.. I love old hotels, and the staff was great. Saturdays are farmers market in Marion Square..,go!

• Stayed: July 2011
There are newer reviews for Francis Marion Hotel

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Spacious room with comfy bed...loved the walk-in shower. Located across from Park and right in the center of the Historic District with King Street & Meeting Street within easy walking distance..both full of Art Galleries, Antique Stores, Fine Restaurants and everything in between like top end shops and easy walk to the Museum Mile. Charleston is a charming city with much to offer and staying at the Francis Marion is a great choice. Their Breakfast Buffett is to be recommended with tasty choices sure to please. You just can't go wrong with this Hotel...Starbucks inside too...

Reviewed July 27, 2011

My wife and I selected the Francis Marion because of it proximity to the downtown area and the Marion Square. The hotel staff was very curtious and anxious to help. Although a older hotel, it had all the amenities that one could ask for. Two thumbs up to the hotel staff and management. Thank you.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

In addition to rehearsal dinner and wedding reception for our son and his new wife, our immediate and extended families stayed for two nights. Everyone agreed that the hotel food, service, and rooms were excellent! (Even a family member who required special meals due to food allergies.) We all enjoyed the comfort of the lobby for gathering with friends and family throughout the day. The staff was very gracious and accommodating. Caroline Bean was a pleasure to work with in the planning of our rehearsal dinner. Joy Melton, Concierge, was so helpful to us when our weekend was drawing to a close. She kindly retrieved the top layer of the wedding cake from the restaurant's refrigerator for us, preventing us from having to go to the restaurant ourselves. I know that when our son and his wife enjoy the cake on their first anniversary, they will reflect upon the perfect wedding weekend at The Francis Marion Hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room with an east or south view. It's fabulous!
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the Francis Marrion. Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful; we really felt appreciated. The hotel is gorgeous and with 12 floors, it offers one of the best views of Charleston. The rooms are comfortable and inviting. We stayed at Charleston Place and Kings Courtyard Inn as well; we left wishing we had stayed all nights at Francis Marrion

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Stayed two nights and was thrilled with the hotel. I was upgraded to a high floor with a great view of Charleston Harbor. The bathroom worked great for us. No problem with the size. The room itself was very large. Great stay. Would stay again for sure.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CruisingandDriving
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I booked this hotel through Priceline's Name Your Own Price. I was in town for a wedding and stayed here for two nights. This hotel is located in downtown Charleston on King Street, which is one of the major shopping/dining/nightlife areas downtown. A large park is right across the street from the hotel. I arrived about an hour-and-a-half before check-in, but was able to go ahead and check-in. In fact, I received a complementary upgrade. As many others have said, the front desk staff is excellent. The room is smaller than what you would expect from a hotel of this class, and the bathroom is very small, but this is an old hotel. And, even though it is older, I found it to be in excellent condition.

Yes, the bathroom is probably the smallest I've ever seen in a hotel, but again, I expected it (after reading previous reviews) and it was not a problem for me. Of course, I was also travelling alone. If you have two or more people, you may want to request one of the rooms with two bathrooms.

The room itself was well-appointed. The bed was very comfortable. My only issue was with the A/C unit in the room. When I arrived, it was the middle of the afternoon on a hot day. The thermostat listed the temperature as 73, but it was set on 60. I drew the curtains and figured it would be colder when I returned in the evening. As an aside, I prefer a room to be cold when I go to sleep. Further, I'm not sure it was really 73 in the room. It felt warmer to me. I expected the room to be cooler when I got back, but it wasn't. The thermostat stil said 73. In fact, the lowest I ever saw it for my entire stay was 72 (in the morning), and it got as high as 75. I considered calling the front desk, but I never did. It wasn't a big deal to me, and I had no problems sleeping (after taking off all the covers but one). I overheard a couple in the bar say their room was freezing; so I guess it just depends on what room you get.

The other minor issue I had was with the adjacent parking garage. True, having a parking garage next door proved very convenient. However, the garage is owned by the city, and as such, there is no direct way to go from the hotel to the garage. As such, I had to carry my luggage from the garage to the sidewalk, and then into the hotel. I'm sure I could've requested help from the bellman, but I'm an able-bodied man and more than capable of carrying my own luggage. I can see how it might be an issue for others, though.

I did not eat at the restaurant, but I did have a few drinks at the bar. The bartender was excellent, even though he had a few tables to service as well as those at the bar. The hotel also has a Starbucks. Plus, there is a Moe's right across the street.

There was ample foot traffic in both day and night right outside the hotel. The nighttime seemed to bring out the younger crowd, but there was no issue there.

Earlier, I mentioned the park across the street. On Saturday, they had a large market set-up with many different vendors. They had arts, crafts, and various foods for sale. It drew a good crowd. I'm not sure how frequent the market is (I didn't ask anyone), but I would encourage you to check it out if it's going on.

Check-out on Sunday went smoothly. Again, the front desk staff was very friendly. When I come back to Charleston, I will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo