“You get what you pay for”

Motel 6 Columbia - University of South Carolina
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Cayce
Columbia, SC
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

I'm currently at training in the Army and wanted to bring my wife here to stay near me. I was able to see her after the work day and spend the whole weekend with her.

I chose Masters Inn due to the great weekly rate they offer (just under $200 a week). I figured it's a great deal since you get 60 channels, free wifi, fridge, microwave, it should be sufficient for the wife. Front desk told me since we came in on a Friday we had to pay for 2 nights, then on Sunday we could start to weekly rate. I had to pay a little extra for those two days but I had no choice.

After my wife was checked in and her bags were in the room I had to get back to Fort Jackson. Within 2 hours she texted me and notified me that her room had a couple cockroaches and ants. I was very disturbed and she was too. She also did not get HBO, and the toilet was not fully secured to the ground. The next day I went to the hotel (Saturday) and notified the hotel of the situations and my wife and me went and bought cleaning supplies. Sunday morning she checked into a room that was on the second floor, the first room she was in was on the first floor.

I cleaned the room very good with the supplies we bought (bleach spray, comet). I also bought Riddex Plus from a local CVS to help with the bug situation. My wife has not seen any bugs since we have been in this room. Whether or not that's because we are on the second floor or if they Riddex Plus is working is yet to be seen. The floor was clean, the bed was much better than the bed from the first floor. This room was cleaner and my wife felt better in this room, especially after I cleaned it. My wife did not use the blanket to sleep with as she felt they probably didn't clean them well in this motel. The next week I washed the linen using the laundry room at the hotel. Housekeeping is supposed to come by twice a week for people who stay weekly, but they only came once so far for my wife. They didn't vacuum or anything, only said "what do you need"? They took the old towels from my wife and gave her half of what she gave them of new towels.

This motel fits you get what you pay for. It does help if you clean it yourself with supplies and wash the linen on your own. This works better though if you plan on being an extended stay instead of just a couple nights.

Pros
60 channels of TV
Free WIFI (even works in laundry room)
Multiple door locks
Fridge
Microwave
Cheapest motel in town
Near restaurants, grocery store, etc
Laundry room

Cons
Not all rooms, beds, etc are as good as some
60 channels not present in all rooms
Bathrooms need attention
Housekeeping is lazy, don't do their job
Drawers need replaced
Rooms just need an overall deep clean

My wife will continue to stay here for the time I'm at Fort Jackson. Like I said, you get what you pay for, and I'm paying around $25 a day. Very cheap, but then again you have to buy cleaning supplies and clean everything yourself. I don't mind it since the price is low, but there are things at this place that need to be fixed.

For a a few day stay, I might not recommend this place unless you are hell bent on saving money. For an extended stay I recommend this play.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank jstatus330

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2008

We arrived and during check-in I made note of a big bulletin board in the back pasted with wanted posters and faxed photos of "Bail Fugitives". This should have been a tip-off.

Once in the room we notice scratched furniture, even the handle of one of the drawers was hanging, only half attached. We found the bathroom full of lime and rust stains.

The real coup was when the room phone rang the next morning at what we thought was 10 a.m. Unbeknownst to us the time had changed the previous night and a man named James was calling to ask us to check out right away. When I explained the time change had caught us by surprise(there are no clocks in the rooms) and asked for a half hour for us to shower, James said we had to vacate immediately or he would charge us for an extra day, adding that his housekkeping staff was leaving in an hour. Maybe considering the shabby state of the property, keeping the housekkeping staff on for more than an hour after check out might be a good idea.

When we hurried down to check out before hitiing the highway with no showers(probably a blessing really), imagine my surprise when I discovered the James we had spoken to was James Lee, the general manager of the motel. When I told him we were going top have to write this at tripadvisor.com, he was nonplussed and stood by his treatment of us at his property.

If you must travel to this part of West Columbia/Cayce, South Carolina, you would be better off at the slightly pricier Riverside Inn, right down the street.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — rude management, poor customer service, shabbiness
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank johnnypuke

Travelers are raving about these Cayce hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2006

We booked this place at the last minute and it was cheap, so we weren't expecting anything great. Turned out to be far worse than expected.

It all started at check in: The lady who checked us in seemed very disinterested in us. She never cracked a smile, didn't say hello, didn't say "have a nice stay". In fact, she never even made eye contact with us. Ok, no biggie as long as the room is nice.

Once we drove around back to our room, we noticed what looked like migrant workers all over the place, and some others who looked like plain thugs. We didn't feel very safe.

The room. Where do I start? First off, the floor was covered in what looked like pool table felt, and it had mysterious white stains all over it. The cable s----. Half the channels didn't come in, and the advertised free HBO wasn't available. The shower went from hot to cold to hot to cold, etc. But the biggest, most disgusting problem was the sink. In the drain was a wad of short curly black hairs, and a couple pieces of what looked like food. Basically the only reason we stayed was because we didn't have much choice. I was VERY reluctant to crawl in that bed. After everything, it seemed like I felt little bugs crawling on me in the bed. Maybe there were, or maybe I was just creeped out because of everything else. Then we were awakened all night long by the other residents, who were yelling and running up and down the stairs and walkway.

Checkout: only reason we went in was to complain. The desk guy, just like the lady at check in, was indifferent toward us. He grabbed a piece of paper to write a note for the manager. We're sure this paper is balled up in a trash can at this point (not to mention he misspelled "hair" on the note).

Bottom line: sleep in your car if this place is your only option. But if you must stay here, bring an assortment of cleaning supplies, earplugs, your own bedding, a gun, and a bullet proof vest.

• Stayed May 2006
3 Thank jonmich13
ARCADIA, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2006

Stayed at the Masters Inn, Columbia, Knox-Abbott for one night on the way to the Masters tournament. It served its purpose. It was clean and the rooms were ok. It needs some updating but for a one night stay it worked out. Wouldn't recommend it for longer than one night. Probably would stay again.

1 Thank MRJIMG
Salisbury, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2004

Stayed July 2004.

Great For the Money !!!!!!!

Will stay again.

5 Thank time4fun
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2004

This was an economy 1-night stop-over on the way to Charleston. We were not expecting much - we were wrong. The room was nice, clean, and we felt very safe (2 women traveling alone). The pool was HUGE - bigger than the one at the 3-star hotel we stayed at in Charleston. The front desk was friendly and helpful. The cable reception wasn't great but there could be worse things. Be warned - there is no shampoo and conditioner in the bathroom so bring your own. We will certainly stay again!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayce
SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown/The Vista
Hampton Inn Columbia - Downtown Historic District
Hyatt Place Columbia / Downtown / The Vista
Staybridge Suites Columbia
Inn at USC Wyndham Garden
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Columbia Downtown

Been to Motel 6 Columbia - University of South Carolina? Share your experiences!