“Terrible!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Armory Steak House

Old Armory Steak House
Ranked #36 of 60 Restaurants in Camden
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Columbia, SC
“Terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Having eaten in many restaurants around the country, to say our recent trip to the Old Armory Steakhouse in Camden, SC was a terrible disappointment. While we were greeted in a friendly manner, and seated promptly (on a busy Friday evening), the trouble started with the menu. A menu should never be more than one page, in my opinion (not including a wine page, dessert menu, etc). If the entree page is longer than one page? It is probably not fresh food. That was the case here. We ordered the house salad, which in concept sounded lovely: fresh green, tomatoes, cucumbers, blue cheese crumbles and a house vinaigrette. When it finally appeared at the table (yes, there was a wait, even for a small house salad) it was...small and came with pepto-bismol colored dressing. Very unappetizing. After we picked at our salads, and after about a 25 minute wait, our entrees arrived. I had ordered the salmon (after much trepidation, as the choices offered were a "10 oz size" or "14 oz size". I was assured by the waitress that the salmon was fresh. It was...most definitely not fresh. It reminded me of vacuum-packed fish from Shwann's (or similar), which would explain the portion size selections. It was also so over seasoned that I just sent it back. I couldn't eat it. It should be noted that my husband ordered the shrimp and grits - well, just..don't go there, either. Anyway, our waitress was very accommodating and apologized for the fish. And then....the owner appeared. He was very loud and quite obviously irritated that I did not like the fish. He claimed (loudly) that he tasted my fish and that it was "perfectly seasoned" and that I was the one with the problem (I know, I was immediately transported to a Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmare-esque scene). He further exclaimed that "no one in the entire restaurant, in 6 YEARS, has EVER had a problem with his fish - just me! Just me! But he will "make me feel better by allowing me to order something else." To say I was stunned by this man's treatment of a customer is an understatement. I am not in the habit of sending food back - so for me to do such a thing, the food had to be bad. Well, it was. As was my husband's meal - he took one bite of the so-called shrimp and grits (try wallpaper paste with tan ingredients - not a fresh ingredient or scrap of color in sight) and simply stopped eating. Needless to say, we did not decide to sample anything else on this menu and declined the (rude) offer for a substitute, and just left, never to return. Old Armory - you need some serious work on your customer service skills. And you should not advertise or claim that your fish is fresh when it clearly is not. ~Disgruntled & HUNGRY ex-customer

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank FlippingOut

USA
“Great Meal, Great Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

My very knowledgeable and professional waiter was great and really knew the menu. The food was delicious, the steak was perfectly cooked and the caesar salad crisp and fresh with a wonderful and not overly "sharp" tasting. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and a varied menu of fresh, local ingredients. I have no hesitation recommending the Armory!

• Visited March 2013
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
“Vino and App”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I sat at the bar on Saturday evening - we had a glass of the house vino (very nice) and we shared the Shrimp and Feta app - wow this dish is amazing. Great for sharing and very fresh quality of cheese and shrimp. You must try!

• Visited February 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
“Best of Camden”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Old Armory is the best Camden has to offer, not that that's a bad thing. The restaurant boasts a great atmosphere, rounded out with a great bar, great locals, and often times, a decent band as well, for the late night crowd. The only competition local competition is now Sam Kendall's and the Armory, in my opinion, blows it out of the water. The Armory has good food at a decent price, great service, and you feel welcome upon your visit. At Kendall's it's the opposite - decent food, high prices, shoddy service, at best, and the patrons are typically on the prude spectrum. I'll admit, I think indigo jones was better than Armory, but it's no longer in business (I'm told the manager wasn't much for management). The Armory is the best choice in Camden.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sterling, Alaska
“Very pleasant lunch in historic Camden, South Carolina”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

We have had lunch here several times over the years, while passing through Camden. It is always pleasant and good quality food. I would recommend it if you want a nice place to enjoy a good lunch with a variety of food choices on the menu, a nice glass of wine, and a relaxing atmosphere to visit with friends/family.

• Visited December 2012