“Great place - Sorry to leave.” 5 of 5 stars

Montage Palmetto Bluff
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bluffton
GreenLeadersGold level
San Mateo, California
“Great place - Sorry to leave.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My wife and I just spent 2.5 days here two weeks ago. We loved it. Great setting directly on the water, beautiful property filled with moss-covered oaks, great architecture, good food, lots to do (though often - but not always - at extra cost), fun to ride around the property on the bikes provided, nice staff, nice to be able to take a Mercedes out for your daily excursion. We really really liked this place. Not cheap but, if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: It's $70 extra to be on the May River instead of the lagoon. It's worth it.
1 Thank FriendsofMonkeyChow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Charleston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have nothing negative to say about this establishment. First class accommodation, first class food and service. A wonderfully relaxing place with plenty to do (golf, bike riding, kayaking, sailing, fishing). Everyone has a smile on their face. Would return in a second.

Room Tip: Nice to have a view of the river and marsh
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank NC11A
alpharetta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We couldn't of asked for a better weekend get away. The Inn at Palmetto Bluff is a top notch resort. The setting is absolutely breath taking and the resort itself is pretty much perfection. Everything from the cottage rooms, room service, restaurants, service was impecable. My husband and I have traveled to a lot of places and this by far was the most relaxing trip I have ever been on. We definitely will be back and will recommend it highly to friends looking for an incredible vacation.

1 Thank krhoben
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

This was the most money I've ever spent on a hotel, but worth every penny. Every staff member goes above and beyond. The little touches like golf cart service, bicycles, keurig in room, buckets of water bottles at the pool, available luxury cars, the boat house, the bath salts, I could go on forever! I would go back in a heartbeat and plan to visit other auberge hotels in the future. We were at the hotel for my best friend's wedding and she could not have been happier with how everything turned out. The wedding conaultant's attention to detail definitely put the bride at ease.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank Nkoseski
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

This is a very unique property. I highly suggest it! Beautifully manicured and wooded grounds. It is tough to fully describe the full experience. True 5 star resort with outstanding food and service. The village/rooms/main building look "quaint" until you really look at the quality of the furnishings and materials. It is very well done. We took a guided kayak trip on the May River and felt it was WELL worth the fee. We spent 2 nights there for a surprise birthday trip for my wife and loved every second of it. Easy drive from Atlanta (under 5 hrs and mostly highway).

We will return!

Room Tip: At a resort in this level they don't have "bad" rooms.
1 Thank PMaxR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

There is absolutely nothing negative I could say about this beautiful place.

I rented a house here for my husband's 65th birthday celebration and from the moment we stopped at the guard house to get our pass until we left, everything was perfect.

We arrived at the house, which had the bikes I had reserved waiting in the carport. We quickly put our things away and decided in which of the four bedrooms we would sleep. We actually chose what was not the master bedroom suite, which incidentally was probably 1200 square feet. It consisted of a beautiful "spa" bathroom, large bedroom area and then another large sitting room. This oasis was away from the rest of the house, reached by a beautiful dark wood staircase, creatively called "Gone With the Wind" inspired. We actually slept downstairs, using one bedroom to sleep and the other room to hold our things that we just laid out on the bed. That way, we each had our own bathroom and my husband, who is a very early riser, could get up in the mornings without disturbing me.

Although I never planned to cook, the granite and stainless steel kitchen had Viking Professional appliances with a built-in wine cellar nicer than the one we have in our vacation home. No expense has been spared on anything in this home with the best wood floors, porcelain/marble/ceramic tile, decor, amenities, et cetera, And the colors used are what I have at home so I, of course, thought it was topnotch!

The entire place has obviously been professionally decorated. Each of the five bathrooms was beautifully done with, for instance, the bathroom I used had an "old-fashioned" porcelain tub seated upon a porcelain pedestal. The toilets all had the European style flush mechanisms on the top of the lid. The soaps and gels are all Palmetto Inn's own branded products and I particularly liked the scent of th coastal lime.

Even the front porch was decorated to perfection to allow you to sit out and enjoy just basking in the glorious views of gardenias, magnolias, old oaks and other beautiful southern greenery. And it is quiet and peaceful. We barely saw anyone else. The back also had a screened-in lanai with two wooden lounge chaises and rocking chairs. All the windows had wooden louvered doors which you could open or close, depending on how much light you wanted. During the daytime, I opened these, along with the pocket doors on the inside and just had the screened doors keeping -- what? -- nothing -- out since this was enclosed inside the screened lanai. Over the bed in the room where we slept, the art appeared to be Audubons. I could go on and on about the beauty of this house but there is so much more ...

The next thing we did was to walk down to the town square to get our bearings, read about the history of this place (it was the private winter/spring residence of a family from New York whose gorgeous mansion on the property burned down in the 1920s). We walked into the lovely chapel which can be rented for weddings, walked out onto the dock to the gazebo at the end and then walked to the inn itself to see if we needed reservations for dinner. I had gotten reservations for the big birthday night but thought we would play everything else by ear. No matter as you can eat in casual attire on their screened-in porch or in their beautiful bar.

Then back to the house to get the bikes and we then did some serious biking. The bike paths are almost as wide as a regular highway and they go in and out of beautiful woods, run alongside the May River Golf Course in places and allow tiny peaks of the gorgeous houses built deep away from prying eyes behind private locked gates for each estate. There were no bugs or mosquitoes and I wonder if it is because of all the heavenly fresh cedar mulch I saw and smelled. No matter. No bugs is all that we cared about.

After biking about ten miles, we decided to head back and, all of a sudden, I told my husband that I saw something in the middle of the path ahead. We stopped and looked and it was a really cute little baby deer, who then ran along the path until it was out of sight. We saw many, many squirrels including the famous raccoon squirrels with black heads. We were both exhausted when we finally got back and I took a long, hot bath in the tub before dressing (very casually) to go to dinner, which was about a two-minute stroll for us.

For dinner, my husband chose sea bass which he said was wonderful. It was topped with some type of puréed ham hocks. I know it was super because it is what I ate the next evening.

We shared an appetizer of barbecued shrimp which they beautifully present on a bed of hand-ground grits (which are much better than the average grit!)

I had my favorite, that evening, of scallops with split peas. Perfect in every way. The service was superb and everything was served when it should be. I had one of their signature cocktails which was called Peaches and Bourbon. It is now one of my all-time favorites.

The birthday dinner was equally enjoyable with my husband getting the grilled Tuna entree (this was a special addition to the menu, replacing the flounder) and I had a black pea and beets over lettuce salad and the sea bass. I had no complaints. My husband said he thought his tuna was better than the prior evening's bass. They knew it was his birthday and brought a little plate with happy birthday on it with some very tasty macaroons.

This is the only thing which disappointed me. I had thought they would serve champagne and have perhaps a little cupcake. I, of course, expected to pay for this and I had asked if they could do something so the "something" obviously needs to be spelled out for them.

For my husband's special birthday surprise, I had arranged a 9:30 am tee time on their celebrated private Jack Nicklaus course and he really enjoyed the perfectly pristine course and reported he would have had a score of 67 if . .

While he was working away with those clubs in the woods, I was being royally pampered in their spa. Having enjoyed the best spa treatments all over the world, I was not overly optimistic and just hoped it would be relaxing. When Joe finished my massage, I was blown away. It was, no doubt, the best I have ever had. Massages are something I am super picky about, as I am sure everyone else is as well. What someone else likes does not always work for you. If it is not just right, it can be irritating rather than relaxing. I have actually just told someone (nicely) that I had had enough and paid and left. And my favorite to this point has been someone I have used for years who actually hurts me a bit but I was okay with that because overall it was a 10 for me. Well, Joe is a 12 on a scale of 1 to 10. He seems to just know where you need a kink worked out. I will sure go back in the future for his massages (luckily we live only 22 miles away).

My facial with Norma was all you can hope for and everyone working in this spa is pleasant, helpful and make sure you leave with a big smile. They also have some beautiful pjs and other casual clothing for sale which I did enjoy looking through, although I did not purchase anything.

To sum up this experience, if you want a trip or mini escape from reality, you can definitely find it here tucked inside the most beautiful southern oasis imaginable!

Room Tip: I rented a house but think the cottages available through the inn might be equally nice and much les...
3 Thank Voyageurmonde19
Fort Myers, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

The Buffalo Cafe at the inn is very isolated which appears to be in a very private area, however it is open to the public. Both the food and service were outstanding along with a fantastic view of the May River. My wife ordered the burger and I had the Buffaletta. Both were fantastic. this was a highlight of our trip to the Hilton Head area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ddddpppp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bluffton
Inn & Club at Harbour Town - Sea Pines Resort
#14 of 29 in Hilton Head
4.0 of 5 stars 682 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton,  Bluffton-Sun City
Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort

Been to Montage Palmetto Bluff? Share your experiences!