“Pleasant surprise”

Red Stripes Caribbean Cuisine & Lounge
Ranked #31 of 209 Restaurants in Bluffton
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

We arrived to an empty parking lot, so we were hesitant. After entering we found an empty restaurant as well. It was very nicely setup though. Once we were served, we were sold. The food was exceptional. Between us we had a Plantain appetizer, a Salt Fish salad and Fried Chicken. All were very well prepared and unique to the area. We look forward to trying other items on our next visit.

1  Thank IFRdirect
Lakesha D, Owner at Red Stripes Caribbean Cuisine & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2015

Thanks for not turning around and giving us a try! I have seen a lot of potential patrons turn back because of an empty parking lot! We often make the joke that if everyone keeps driving by or turn around, then none will come and dine! Thanks for thinking outside the box! And see we did deliver! Look forward to serving you in the future!

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

My wife was craving plantains, reviews said they had them. So glad we went here. I had jerk pork, green beans and mac cheese and ate every bite, my wife loved the plantains and the jerk chicken. We will be going back every chance we get, service was excellent and the chef check on our experience as well. So happy its close going to tell everyone

Thanks for your kind review! It has been a pleasure serving you and your friends! Hope to see more of you in the New Year!

Reviewed July 13, 2014

So HAPPY that this place is local...why did I not come sooner?!!! Bluffton and HHI dining options are plentiful but there is only so much lowcountry cuisine and BBQ I can take... Red Stripes adds some welcome and refreshing variety to the area. My husband and I ate here this weekend and really enjoyed it. We ordered plantain nachos to start and drunken chicken and jerk chicken platters with rice and peas and slaw. All great...the chicken fell off the bone, jerk sauce brought me back to a Caribbean vacation and plantain were unique and flavorful. Besides the food, service was excellent and prices are reasonable.

The place has a laid back atmosphere, they have a nice outdoor courtyard / seating area and there is an area that also looks a little lounge-y and there is a pool table. Definitely a good spot for small or large groups. I heard they also have live Caribbean music sometimes. Loved it..will be back soon.

Thank for your review! Hope to see you in the New Year! Thanks for supporting local!

Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Last week our group of 16 headed to bluffton for lunch before some of our group went home. Our original location had closed so, we went down the street to another place. It was late afternoon and they were done for the day. We looked next door and there was red stripes. We were the only ones there and our experience was top notch! The server and cook answered all our questions and gave us samples to help us decide. They took the kids ordered first and when the cheese burgers arrived the entire party was impressed. They were amazing. One kid said, "this is the best burger I've ever had". Now onto the main courses. Our group had the oxtail, the jerk snapper, the salt fish and the red stripe chicken. The sides included Mac and cheese, rice, green beans, greens, and more. Everything was memorable and worth going back for. We will definitely be going back and so thankful for such fond surprise memory!

1  Thank Claire E

Thank you for your review! I am happy that you gave us a try and everyone enjoyed their food. Chef Ezron and I genuinely enjoyed serving your family and look forward to seeing you on your next trip!

Reviewed July 12, 2014

My wife and I finally tried Red Stripes and came away feeling good about our experience. When we got there it was at a quiet time so i wish it was more jumping but the service was great. If you have read any of my reviews you know how important service is, and the owner was great. From the second we sat down until we left we were always helped, had drinks refilled and were left alone when we needed to be and many places fail at that.

On to the food. We started off with the plantain nachos which tasted good but was a little sloppy. My wife had the beef patty and liked it but shes pregnant and is trying to eat simple food, so we wont go in depth about her meal. As for my meal, I had the oxtail with collard greens and macaroni & cheese. Yeah, all I can say is that MY PLATE WAS EMPTY. Its the best meal ive had out in a long time. Another great thing that gets overlooked is that the food was seasoned so well that the salt and pepper shaker werent necessary on the table. My wife did also get a side of mac and cheese and loved it.

We had a good time and plan on coming back.

Go try it!

2  Thank Mofomadnes

Thanks for your review! We are happy you enjoyed our cuisine! Look forward to serving you in the future!
Lakesha