“Great pizza”

Fiddlehead Pizza
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Description: Our crust is made with a wild yeast from Naples, Italy. We use the best, fresh local ingredients. Fun atmosphere! Live, local bands!. Regional craft beers! Family friendly!
Reviewed July 26, 2012

On our first visit and ordering of pizza we were pleasantly surprised at how good the pizza was and the graciousness of the owner. We had purchased a groupon for our visit pizza and had not realized it was for dine in only. This particular evening was for take-out. We missed the fine print that clearly said, dine in only. The owner insisted on giving us a free pizza that evening since we could not use the groupon. We tried to have him at least take the groupon towards it or to pay and he insisted that the pizza was on him. That was above and beyond customer service. We will def. be back and will sit down and dine. The pizza was wonderful.

2  Thank Annabella44

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Went there for the first time...suprised to find a back dining room and a live band outside! Ordered a nice cold beer and a very good large size salad. Jones'n for pizza we ordered (only 2 of us) the 30 inch pie...We got some crazy looks when they saw it carried out to us. The pizza was really really good, not quite "Jersey" good but it definitely made me smile, a lot! The pizza, beer and band made it a very worthwhile dinner and we will be back...next week as a matter of fact.

1  Thank saintmar10
Reviewed July 14, 2012

The first time that I went to Fiddlehead Pizza, I'll admit I wasn't excited...I was really looking forward to pizza at a competitor and had been thinking about THAT pizza for hours. After much persuasion from a friend, we ended up at Fiddlehead and I am soooo glad that we did! We ordered fiddlehead fern as one of the toppings for our pizza - not the local variety of fiddlehead fern found at the local nurseries, but an edible variety from Maine (I think) that tastes somewhat like asparagus. The pizza made with local feta, mushrooms, etc. was absolutely delicious - the vegetables are so fresh and come from a local farm! And the menu?? Nothing you would expect in any pizza restaurant...Mibek Farms meatballs, roasted potatoes, chanterelle mushrooms, cornish hens with ginger slaw, goat cheese brulee, Charleston pickles, salads to die for, great selection of beer and cane sugar coca colas in glass bottles (hecho en Mexico)! We were there last Thursday and as we left, a band was getting cranked up in the outside courtyard in the back of the restaurant. Good friendly service but absolutely amazing food!

2  Thank edenl
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We had not heard of Fiddlehead until a Living Social deal for them popped up. Bought it because I figured we'd spend at least $10 on pizza no matter where we went, and their menu looked pretty good. We were not disappointed.
My husband's first impression wasn't great. The pizza ovens are behind a counter when you first walk in. It did smell a little like they needed to clean them out. Not stinky but definitely a scorched odor (later in the evening, I smelled it as well). However, we were seated very quickly in one of the booths in the front. It's a very small, kind of oddly laid out space but they've made it work. I do think that the back dining room is a little more "fun" and will ask to sit there next time.
We weren't super hungry so we passed on an app but they sounded amazing. There was a salad with figs, goat cheese and grape tomatoes (all local) that we really wanted to try but knew that it would be too much food. We ended up getting a 16 inch pie (MORE than enough for two people) half house mozzarella pie and half special with heirloom tomatoes, local feta, artichokes and olives. Really, really good. My husband prefered the more simple pie and it was awesome; I loved all the briny goodness of the special. But both were terrific and I'd get either of them again.
Excellent beer selection including several I'd never heard of.
Waitstaff was busy but attentive.
It's a little pricier than we normally would get (thanks Living Social!) but we'd go back when we feel the need for a small splurge.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Fresh, local and creative. What a combination! We just hope that the locals appreciate this place and that it attracts more and more Hilton Head area tourists, who too often lean toward "New York Pizza" or fish sandwiches. Whatever, one recent evening a few of us were going to head up SC 170 to Sunset Pizzeria, which we recommend if you're up that way, but instead I dragged the group to Fiddlehead, having heard that it was related to Walnuts Cafe on US 278, which we also recommend for their creative and delicious cuisine. How could we go wrong? Well, we weren't. Fiddlehead is not your father's pizzeria. Not only are all of the ingredients fresh (e.g., the meatball sandwich is made from a steer whose name we knew up at MiBek Farms), but he menu is almost off the chart. Who would have guessed that coming for pizza we would have started by sharing a honey brined cornish hen with ginger slaw, accompanied by potatoes oven roasted at 600 degrees (there's no microwave or deep fryer in the kitchen, thank goodness), accompanied by a goat cheese brulee and pickles from Charleston? And washed down, I'll add, by a couple of pints of relatively local brews from the six spigot bar. Fat Tire was my choice, the other more exotic offerings being too light. Plenty of other interesting choices in the cooler, too. Choosing a main course was difficult, given all of the interesting options. I settled on a special of the day, a ratatouille+gruyere+ham stomboli, also available as a pizza or calzone. It was great. Has anyone ever had such a thing? Another of us had a gigantic slice of pizza with zucchini roasted with cinnamon, basil and gruyere topped with what? Fresh toasted pecans, picked here in the Lowcountry! Others had a mushroom pizza with pepperoni. Big deal, you say? Well, this one had chanterelle mushrooms, roasted corn deglazed with pernod and tarragon. Not exactly at the top of Domino's top 10 list, but really, really good. Tons of other items on the menu plus specials on the board. We loved the place, the atmosphere and, of course, the enthusiastic people, and we hope that you will too. Give it a try

2  Thank AlPhD